CK Exclusive: Fox Cutlery "Recoil" Gunstock

It's an interesting suggestion - not without merit either. However, I seem to recall - long before I was around - that the Traditionals sub (The Porch) did not always have its own little corner here. Because there was enough discussion being had in other places in the forums involving traditional cutlery, it was decided to build a sub-forum for it specifically - complete with its own guidelines and such. Because such guidelines have been long established at this point, I don't see expanding on them to be particularly necessary or even all that welcome.

I will use the ZT 0230 as an example again. It is a slipjoint but it is very clearly a modern design with no resemblance to a traditional pocket knife pattern that I am aware of. If we start muddying the waters here too much, then we risk alienating a lot of folks who are here for the enjoyment and discussion of classic, traditional cutlery - be it pocket knives or fixed blades. If slipjoints of a purely modern design get a pass, then who is to say that fixed blades like Busse and such can't get a pass either?

Here is a pic of the ZT I am referring to:

bh31121.jpg

Ultimately, I am of a mind to agree with @Railsplitter. I like knives of all types and will discuss them in accordance to the rules in the appropriate sub-forums. There is a reason that The Porch is separate from General Knife Discussion and I would hate to see the lines blur too much.

I read the guidelines before really posting here, and now that I am a mod I find myself reading the rules everywhere I go because I am often called upon to use them for moderation purposes.

This bit from Blues about the purpose of this subforum I think is relevant here:

Relevant Subject Matter & Decorum:

The "Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades" sub-forum is defined as follows:

Discussion of classic Hunters, Trappers, Lockbacks, Slipjoints, Skinners and other classic "traditional" designs...

...In other words, this is a non-commercial knife discussion forum with the focus centered squarely on traditional knives and patterns such as you'll find in this reference:

51QQ8Z86EYL._SS500_.jpg

A bit more detail:
If a regular knife user of the mid 1960's would find nothing out of the ordinary about the design, then it's traditional.

That means large Buck 110-ish lockbacks are in.

SAKs date to the late 1800's. If they are not one hand opening, they are in. (See comments on materials of construction.)

Modern locking mechanisms such as Walker liner locks, pocket clips, holes / studs to allow one hand opening are all out. (Traditional liner locks, such as the lock on a TL29, are in.) Add a clip to a stockman, and it needs to be posted elsewhere. By the same token, if it is traditional except for a clip and you remove the clip, feel free to post it here.

We tend to have some tolerance when it comes to fixed blades. But, new designs with features such as glass breakers, are not included in this forum.

We give leeway on materials of construction. So if you have a nice stockman with G10 covers, it's traditional enough for us. After all, plastics have been used on knife handles since the 1800's. Stainless steel has been used in cutlery since the 1920's, so stainless is considered traditional. And even though PM alloys are new developments, that fella in the mid-1960's would never know the difference if he were looking at the knife, so they are OK, too.

Reading the bolded bit it seems clear to me that the design and form are the most important parts of what makes a knife "traditional", materials are immaterial if it looks and functions like a traditional knife. The only thing on the Italian-made knives in question that doesn't look clearly traditional are the screw fasteners, other than that the rest of the design fits in my interpretation of the guidelines here.

The only thing on the Italian-made knives in question that doesn't look clearly traditional are the screw fasteners, other than that the rest of the design fits in my interpretation of the guidelines here.

That is the hangup for most folks here too. There are examples of screwed construction on pocket knives, dating back quite a ways. That said, I do think that slotted hardware was the norm and so the torx heads used on these raise a lot of eyebrows.

I've been looking at and appreciating these knives for quite some time now and I don't even see the screws anymore... (talk about blinders :D)

For what it's worth, I think the waters are muddy and it gets harder to define "traditional design" in a knife.
For that reason, I only hit the "report" button when there is a pocket clip or a thumb stud posted.

Pàdruig Pàdruig :D Looks OK from a distance, especially when shot by your lens ;) Carbon steel I always feel is better mated to all steel liners or NS ones :thumbsup: My skin acids or something just reacts badly with brass (the stuff stinks) but it certainly looks good as pin material.

The Fox version looks like a very good interpretation of the pattern and I certainly feel it will be well received and generate more interest. My Forum Knife just arrived this evening, simply brilliant :cool: What a marriage: The Swayback as a pattern has a long and varied pedigree. Using beautiful Ram's Horn, unambiguously superior production techniques, impressive blade steel, Viper has added to the 'canon' of the Swayback. This is the impressive footprint of what I see as Contemporary Traditionals, likely this Fox Gunstock will add to that.

Thanks, Will

Firstly, I reserved a couple of these with different covers. Secondly, I have never been a fan of the Gunstock pattern (says a guy with more than a couple of real gunstocks), but this one pleases my eye more than other ones I have seen. I am one who also enjoys traditional patterns with modern materials and that might be the clincher for me.

Though I am a bit bummed that Rams Horn and Stag don't look to be cover options on this go around, wood does looks pretty good on a Gunstock so I opted to go with Bocote. I had a Roundhead with Bocote awhile back and it looked pretty darn good.

7UhzraR.jpg
Hands down bocote is the nicest of the options. Here's hoping it makes the final cut.

Regarding the "modern vs. traditional" debate, I understand that it is very important in terms of deciding which topics and which knives go in which sub-forums.

That said, few things in life are easily divided into black and white, and most things are some shade of gray.

Again, with the full understanding that definitions are very important when determining WHERE to put certain knives and certain topics in the forums and sub-forums, I think it's also important to remember that there are more than a few knife enthusiasts, myself included, who are enthusiastic users and collectors of KNIVES in general - traditional, modern, fixed, folder, antique, futuristic, large, miniature.... ad infinitum.

I think the thing that draws many people to these forums is the decorum and respect for each other, as well as, perhaps as much as, our common interests. So I'm okay with whatever decisions are made on where to put things - as long as we maintain our respect for each other and camaraderie.

Haven’t ordered a knife in a while. Jumped on this one. Wish there were photos of the burlap. Went with lava. So unique and interesting looking.

I guess I just don't like "mixing my metaphors," but to me the more traditional these Italian slipjoints look, like this gunstock, the less appealing they are. I have several of the all metal, very modern looking Italian slipjoints from Mike, and they are spectacular knives in every respect, especially at their price-points. But the screw construction and exposed pivots leave me a little cold. I didn't care for the Best Man, Roundhead, Shuffler, etc., and these Recoils fall in the same category for me. Also, I prefer my medium to small traditonal knives to have multiple blades, and do like the two-bladed gunstocks a lot. The 44 Magnum from GEC is one of their very finest patterns, especially, as I have done, when the pen secondary is modified to a coping straight edge. I prefer my single blade folders to be larger, suitable for more strenuous tasks.

That is the hangup for most folks here too. There are examples of screwed construction on pocket knives, dating back quite a ways. That said, I do think that slotted hardware was the norm and so the torx heads used on these raise a lot of eyebrows.

I've been looking at and appreciating these knives for quite some time now and I don't even see the screws anymore... (talk about blinders :D)

For those who are dyed in the wool, a simple solution is to break out your brass or nickel silver rods and small anvil and make replacement pins.
It should only take ten minutes to replace the screws.

Mel

Thank you for starting this thread, I didnt know about these. My preference is for traditional patterns, and modern materials - two things that were largely incompatible until Mike started bringing these Italian knives to market. I’ve been pretty much all-in since, and I think I have 8 of them at this point. This one is no exception, and I’ve put in a “sure” reservation for the olive handle. Now I’m hoping it makes it through!

(Apologies, Mike, if I am beating you to it)

As most of us are aware by now, Mike (@knifeswapper) has facilitated a number of excellent collaborations with the Maniago cutlery firms out of Italy. This has resulted in a number of variations of Barlow, Sodbuster types, Sowbelly, and others - as well as the Swayback that was our forum knife choice for 2020.

I am very fond of these knives and they do a tremendous job of bridging the gap between traditional designs and modern manufacturing and materials. Mike is to be commended for these efforts and I really hope they continue well into the future.

This brings me to the latest - the Fox Cutlery "Recoil" Gunstock, a single blade jack with all the slickness of design execution we appreciate in Viper and LionSteel. Since there has been a lot of interest in a single blade Gunstock from GEC, I thought this Fox version might hit a sweet spot for some and it would be neat to drum up some discussion on it.

(If I recall correctly, the Recoil name was determined or at least was featured in a recent giveaway that Mike hosted and I think it rather fitting.)

A single blade in M390 stainless steel, integral titanium bolsters/liners, and a variety of cover options that are potentially yet to be determined. It looks to be a lot of blade for this knife at 3 1/2" closed and Mike demonstrates the action along with some commentary on his website - it really does look like it will be a superb offering in CK's burgeoning lineup.

This pic is pulled from CK (because all threads are better with pics).

ZH7PYex.jpg

Those look a lot more appealing than the prototype I saw a while back on Mike's social media. I really like that clip point. I'm not sure if I should like you or not for putting that one on my radar now.

My only wish is that one of the models would come without a half-stop. That would really have me in love with it and one of the reasons the GEC bull moose is one of my favorite patterns. It's also why I like queen's traditional knives for using, if the QC was acceptable.

Having said that though, I love what Mike is doing with these offerings and it gives us a nice option for traditional pattern knives with more modern materials and finish. Something about the radiused springs and spines of the Italian knives really hits the love button when handling these.

Yeah I didnt know these existed until right now. Its a must have for me...

with my handle choices eliminated it will give me more than enough time to decide :), bone micarta was added, that should be nice

Back