Clarify on Massachusetts/Boston knife laws?

I've checked around the internet, the general laws of Mass and bladeforums, but I can't quite wrap my head around it.
So what they're saying is if you get arrested and you have a knife on you, you're in trouble. But it's ok to carry a knife if you're carrying for an activity that requires a knife.

I just wanted to see if anybody who lived in Boston or Mass would know. Because I'm going to a convention in April and was wondering if it was kosher to carry a Strider SNG in my pocket, if I wasn't being crazy or dangerous with it.

That's not entirely accurate, and really it's not that complicated.

State law for Mass lists several types of knife that are illegal to carry regardless of why you are carrying them.
http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter269/Section10
Basically it means no switchblades and no double-edge blades. Yeah there's a few other types of knives in there but they are rather obscure (ballistic knife for example). It is notable that butterfly knives are not considered illegal, and folding knives have no length limits.

Boston tightens down a bit. In short, it's illegal to sell or give any knife to a minor (under 18) unless the blade is a dinky 2 inches or less. The carry law goes like this:

16-45.1 Carrying of Weapons Prohibited.

No person, except as provided by law, shall carry on his person, or carry under his control in a vehicle, any knife having any type of blade in excess of two and one-half (2½ ) inches, ice picks, dirks or similar weapons that are likely to penetrate through police officer's ballistic vests, or other object or tool so redesigned, fashioned, prepared or treated that the same may be used to inflict bodily harm or injury to another, except:

a. When actually engaged in hunting or fishing or any employment, trade or lawful recreational or culinary activity which customarily involves the carrying or use of any type of knife, or

b. In going directly to and/or returning directly from such activities, or

c. If the knife is being transported directly to or from a place of purchase, sharpening, or repair, and if packaged in such a manner as not to allow easy access to the knife while it is being transported.

No person, except as provided by law, shall carry on his person, or carry under his control in a vehicle, a machete. For purposes of this section, "machete" means a heavy knife at least eighteen (18) inches in length and having a blade at least one and one-half (1.5) inches wide at its broadest measurement. This subsection shall not apply to carrying a machete on one's person or in a vehicle if the machete is carried for the purpose of cutting vegetation or if the machete is being transported for the purpose of cutting vegetation.

Thanks, I just wasn't sure about the carrying on your person etc.
Ironic that their slogan is Spirit of America. HAH, what happened to my right to bear arms.

Thanks, I just wasn't sure about the carrying on your person etc.
Ironic that their slogan is Spirit of America. HAH, what happened to my right to bear arms.
Besides Boston, the cities of Cambridge, Revere, Lynn, Salem, Beverly, Worcester and Lawrence also have a 2.5" limit. I live in Dracut and travel through these cities on a regular basis. I carry a 4" lock-blade folder as my EDC, completely concealed (no pocket clip showing) and never had a problem. Just remember, the LEOs here in MA don't want to hear about your "right to bear arms" because as far as they are concerned, you don't have any such right. Your knife is always a tool; never a weapon.

actually butterfly knives are illegal to carry in Mass. i do believe
Nope. I was as shocked as the next guy to see that the statutory language (at the state level at least) contains no such prohibition against anything that might describe a butterfly knife. I was equally surprised to see that carrying a baton or billy club is completely legal so long as you are not committing a crime or nor wanted on a warrant.

Nope. I was as shocked as the next guy to see that the statutory language (at the state level at least) contains no such prohibition against anything that might describe a butterfly knife. I was equally surprised to see that carrying a baton or billy club is completely legal so long as you are not committing a crime or nor wanted on a warrant.

I thought that butterfly knives were illegal in Mass. Period.
Also, it's good to know how to carry knives through Boston, I have to go through the city to get home, and I have 6 knives going with me. Two hunting fixed blades, a butterfly trainer(technically not a knife, but it was still confiscated), a credit card knife, a key knife, and a Kershaw assisted folder. I'll just pack them away deep in my bag or backpack and make my way home.

Also, it's good to know how to carry knives through Boston, I have to go through the city to get home, and I have 6 knives going with me. Two hunting fixed blades, a butterfly trainer(technically not a knife, but it was still confiscated), a credit card knife, a key knife, and a Kershaw assisted folder. I'll just pack them away deep in my bag or backpack and make my way home.
Why was it confiscated? Rule #1 for carrying is to keep all knives, firearms and anything else that can be considered a weapon completely concealed at all times while in public, especially here in MA. I carried knives all of my life and never had a problem with confiscation, LEO hassles, arrest, etc. The reason is because I perfected my concealed carry methods. Proper dress and grooming are also crucial. Blend in with your surroundings. I call it "urban camouflage".

Even a little folding knife clipped on the pocket is better to have entirely in the pocket? Thanks for your help.

carry anything you want outside of boston and just dont commit a crime. In boston only carry a fixed blade or a manual folder with a blade under 2.5 inches. Alot of cops dont care though so you can get away with more than that. Also, you are exempted from boston knife ordinances if you have a Class A LTC. Hope this helps.

Besides Boston, the cities of Cambridge, Revere, Lynn, Salem, Beverly, Worcester and Lawrence also have a 2.5" limit. I live in Dracut and travel through these cities on a regular basis. I carry a 4" lock-blade folder as my EDC, completely concealed (no pocket clip showing) and never had a problem. Just remember, the LEOs here in MA don't want to hear about your "right to bear arms" because as far as they are concerned, you don't have any such right. Your knife is always a tool; never a weapon.

Im not sure about the rest, but worcester is 3.

Under the wording of the law they are classified as gravity knives but case law has found them to be pocket knives so they're legal to carry. Bladelength is the only thing you have to worry about with them. That and cops who dont know the law.

I have two hunting knives, each about 5-6 inches in blade length. I get home through Boston(public transportation). What do I do? I feel that I'd be fine with them wrapped up in the bottom of my bag. And I'll avoid committing any crimes as well.

I have two hunting knives, each about 5-6 inches in blade length. I get home through Boston(public transportation). What do I do? I feel that I'd be fine with them wrapped up in the bottom of my bag. And I'll avoid committing any crimes as well.
Sometimes, bags can be inspected by MBTA Transit Police. They usually announce bag searches, most often in response to terrorists threats. You can refuse the inspection but they will not allow you to board the subway trains.

Sometimes, bags can be inspected by MBTA Transit Police. They usually announce bag searches, most often in response to terrorists threats. You can refuse the inspection but they will not allow you to board the subway trains.

I can understand that. I've never been stopped before. I came home yesterday and I had a backpack with me, and no one batted an eye. I do understand that with the recent Boston Marathon bombing that they would be more uptight about stuff like this.

As long as its not easily accesible youl be fine.

Sounds good. Thanks guys! I think that next time I head home I'll be driven, so it won't even be that big of a problem.

http://jamaicaplaingazette.com/2015/04/10/bpd-man-pulled-knife-on-fake-cop/

My how times have changed. the impression I have taken is that I cannot use a knife to ward off a stranger impersonating an officer. I can see how the "suspect" continued the ordeal from inside the business and was seeking a "duel" of sorts. Read it and make sure you understand the "victim" "suspect" aspect. The guy who was approached by a complete stranger was arrested for the knife. Unless I am reading this incorrectly.

http://jamaicaplaingazette.com/2015/04/10/bpd-man-pulled-knife-on-fake-cop/

My how times have changed. the impression I have taken is that I cannot use a knife to ward off a stranger impersonating an officer. I can see how the "suspect" continued the ordeal from inside the business and was seeking a "duel" of sorts. Read it and make sure you understand the "victim" "suspect" aspect. The guy who was approached by a complete stranger was arrested for the knife. Unless I am reading this incorrectly.

"ward off?" Alright I'm as strong a proponent of knife rights as anyone on this forum, and this is a terrible example. First, the person was not charged with knife carry, he was charged with assault. Second, the police impersonator did not attack, did not make any threats of violence, nor did he attempt to extort money or property. He simply said "you blew my cover" and nobody really knows why he did that. Sorry, but you do not get to justifiably stab people for simply lying to you and/or bothering you. All three news sources I have read on this case (also I have family in Jamaica Plains) do not even make it clear the man knew the impersonator was a fake, meaning he may have attacked him thinking he really was an undercover cop.

Back