Classic 110 ebony with upgraded S30V blade - Web Exclusive

Tecate

Gold Member
https://www.buckknives.com/product/110-folding-hunter-knife-s30v-blade/0110BRS9-B/

They added the classic 110 in ebony with upgraded S30V blade to the New Products section a couple of hours ago as a Web Exclusive. Quite a markup for S30V blade, but with BCCI discount it is reasonable.

0110BRS9-B.jpg

0110BRS9-B_4.jpg

Last edited:
Good thing I'm happy with the "ebony" Dynawood (or whatever its called.)
At the present time, even a standard production 110 with real ebony, at Wallys, is beyond my means.

I do like Bucks s30v...but kinda would have liked this one better in s35vn or s45vn, just cause. that aside classic 110 in upgraded steel, whats not to like......except the price.;)

forgot my manners, thanks for posting for us all, Sir. I might have missed this one.

Last edited:
Nice! I love S30V even more than S35VN and if this was an auto version I might be on this. However I'm curious are the Bucks classics still that sought after these days? There's so so many other folders from traditional or modern day with the latest and greatest designs, lockups and materials to choose from, how can these still be a hot commodity? Yes the design in proven and comfortable but guessing most of the purchases are a result of nostalgia or my dad had one and my grandad before him, etc?

Nice! I love S30V even more than S35VN and if this was an auto version I might be on this. However I'm curious are the Bucks classics still that sought after these days? There's so so many other folders from traditional or modern day with the latest and greatest designs, lockups and materials to choose from, how can these still be a hot commodity? Yes the design in proven and comfortable but guessing most of the purchases are a result of nostalgia or my dad had one and my grandad before him, etc?
Nah ... My both my gramps were gone before the 110 folding hunter came out. My (maternal) great gramps (1882-1973) only carried slipjoints.

My pop's was weird. He didn't carry a knife at all, except for a Rapalla filet knife in his tackle box. He might have had a company issued Stanley box cutter in his locker at work. (I don't know if the blade retracted, or know for sure if he even had one.)

I got my first 110 around 1968 or 1969. Most of my Jr. High and High School classmates had one on their belts, too. Especially in the High School shops classes.

How can they still be a "hot commodity "? Easy. They are affordable, strong, rugged, hold an edge long enough to skin and gut at least three whitetail, or scrap who knows how many head gaskets and cut I don't know how many heater and radiator hose before needing the edge touched up. They can also whittle tent stakes, cut what's needed for a shelter, clean fish, cut fishing line and anchor line ... and whittle a spoon ...
In short, they do what you'd need a knife for at work or our in the boonies and sticks, and they don't get in the way when carried in the sheath. Oh, they also feel better in hand than the boxy "modern" knives do, and don't have any clip caused hot spots. (at least they feel better than a boxy modern, in my hand.)

Pretty much sums it up. Buck sells a ton of them. A ton. Enough to make any manufacturer jealous.

Nah ... My both my gramps were gone before the 110 folding hunter came out. My (maternal) great gramps (1882-1973) only carried slipjoints.

My pop's was weird. He didn't carry a knife at all, except for a Rapalla filet knife in his tackle box. He might have had a company issued Stanley box cutter in his locker at work. (I don't know if the blade retracted, or know for sure if he even had one.)

I got my first 110 around 1968 or 1969. Most of my Jr. High and High School classmates had one on their belts, too. Especially in the High School shops classes.

How can they still be a "hot commodity "? Easy. They are affordable, strong, rugged, hold an edge long enough to skin and gut at least three whitetail, or scrap who knows how many head gaskets and cut I don't know how many heater and radiator hose before needing the edge touched up. They can also whittle tent stakes, cut what's needed for a shelter, clean fish, cut fishing line and anchor line ... and whittle a spoon ...
In short, they do what you'd need a knife for at work or our in the boonies and sticks, and they don't get in the way when carried in the sheath. Oh, they also feel better in hand than the boxy "modern" knives do, and don't have any clip caused hot spots. (at least they feel better than a boxy modern, in my hand.)

Enjoyed the history :thumbsup:. While I've never put a 110 to good use it is good to know the knife could handle all those tasks. Sure has a classic look and proven design over the years. Guess I've gotten too used to carrying folders with clips that as long as they are positioned somewhat decent, they aren't too much of a bother

Pretty much sums it up. Buck sells a ton of them. A ton. Enough to make any manufacturer jealous.

Enough to make Chris Reeve Knives jealous? o_O

How many Sebenzas have been sold? Now how many 110s?

Its not apples to apples though. A Ferrari's price tag doesn't mean it's better. Just means it's exclusive. If Enzo sold one car for every 50 Fords he would be lucky.

I know of zero hunters, fisherman, carpenters, mechanics or other trades and sportsmen who carry CRK knives for their work.

I love my Buck knives! A $40 Foolding Hunter will do everything a Sebenza will do, but flip. But a Sebenza won't do everything a Folding Hunter will do. I said "won't", not "can't", because I know of exactly zero people who would actually use one to scrape a head gasket off anything.

Jealous? Depends on CRKs ambition. If they intended their knives to compete with Buck's, perhaps. But I dont think that's their game plan.

Want a knife that will work without worrying about tearing it up? Buck! Want a knife that looks good but costs so much you hesitate using it for anything but opening the mail? Yeah...

Enjoyed the history :thumbsup:. While I've never put a 110 to good use it is good to know the knife could handle all those tasks. Sure has a classic look and proven design over the years. Guess I've gotten too used to carrying folders with clips that as long as they are positioned somewhat decent, they aren't too much of a bother

they make 110s occasionally with pocket clips. my personal favorites. sometimes you can have it all.:)

Yes this! exactly why I use one. Tough and rugged design with the edge holding capability in hard use. I have a large vantage pro that I carry at work for quick one hand usage but there are times I need more blade for hard demanding work and one of my 110s will handle the task easily. The handle is much better when you have to bare down cutting heavy thick material like industrial coolant stick hose or belting.
And when I go outdoors camping, hunting or fishing I wouldn’t think of not having a 110 on my belt even if I have a fixed blade along. All together the design,size and utility makes the 110 a very enjoyable tool. They’re not just for looking at !

Buck has sold over fifteen million* of the model 110 Folding Hunter alone, since its introduction in 1964.

I don't know anything about Mr. Reeve, or his company. Do you think that he or it would be jealous?

*might be over sixteen million now. That 15,000,000 figure is from 5 or 8 years ago, so is a bit dated.

Last edited:
Buck has sold over fifteen million* of the model 110 Folding Hunter alone, since its introduction in 1964.

I don't know anything about Mr. Reeve, or his company. Do you think that he or it would be jealous?

*might be over sixteen million now. That 15,000,000 figure is from 5 or 8 years ago, so is a bit dated.
since the ex or Mrs. Reeves owns the company now, yeah ill bet Chris is jealous.....:D

That’s really nice they are offering the ebony/s30v version outside of the custom shop. Maybe they’ll have it as a regular catalog item. If I didn’t already have 3-110s with s30v I’d probably get one. Now if it were S35vn or s45vn I’d have at least one coming.

Beautiful knife. This combo should be the starting point. The upgraded steel as standard would elevate the model considerably with consumers. Not that 420 is bad, its actually good but when conversations about it come around Bucks version is on the defensive. S30V would stop the critics.

Back