Photos Classic Motorcycles and Traditional Knives

It is time for an update. I recently brought home a 1973 Moto Guzzi V7 Sport with 3,500 original miles. It has been stored extremely well, but hasn’t ran in 20 years. Today we took the top end apart to check it out. It looks great inside and out. This bike is going to be a great compliment to the ‘73 Norton. D6E5215E-CBA5-42F6-85AE-D2825977F5E3.jpeg 3BDA0A41-D344-4524-B00B-00EA5573D939.jpeg 99DA7B82-CCC5-446B-9D99-4FA55B875A17.jpeg

It polished up real nice.6944EC83-518A-4FDD-AD44-933C6F2D6B62.jpeg

Here are the two knives I had with me.B2D02CE5-83BB-47DF-8840-2655DF02BDE1.jpeg A7A0ACB7-AD6A-439C-A84D-391D10C3BD82.jpeg 303E5865-6410-4C32-94EC-8F12A21416A5.jpeg

It is time for an update. I recently brought home a 1973 Moto Guzzi V7 Sport with 3,500 original miles. It has been stored extremely well, but hasn’t ran in 20 years. Today we took the top end apart to check it out. It looks great inside and out. This bike is going to be a great compliment to the ‘73 Norton. View attachment 986035 View attachment 986036 View attachment 986037

It polished up real nice.View attachment 986038

Here are the two knives I had with me.View attachment 986039 View attachment 986040 View attachment 986041
Gorgeous bike Travis. Looks new. That's a handsome mechanic's mate you got there too.

I'm enjoying all the classic bikes guys :) I haven't owned a bike in decades :( My last was a Triumph Tiger, but I kept getting pulled over by motorcycle cops - who wanted to compliment me on the bike, and tell me how much they preferred it to the issue BMW which replaced it! :rolleyes: My carry then would have been this one.

By coincidence, I picked up this magazine yesterday :thumbsup:

I'm enjoying all the classic bikes guys :) I haven't owned a bike in decades :( My last was a Triumph Tiger, but I kept getting pulled over by motorcycle cops - who wanted to compliment me on the bike, and tell me how much they preferred it to the issue BMW which replaced it! :rolleyes: My carry then would have been this one.

By coincidence, I picked up this magazine yesterday :thumbsup:

Love that old I-XL-Schrade, Jack! I’d like to know more about it. Do you know the age of it? What’s the closed length?

My first bike I owned was when I was in high school it was a 1956 Harley Davidson FLH Panhead. I loved that bike but I would ride it a hundred miles and then would have to work on it for a hundred hours. :eek: Not really but sometimes it seemed like it broke down a lot. If I remember correctly I paid $300 for it in 1971.

This is not my bike or even my picture but it sure looks like it.

1956-Harley-Davidson-Panhead-FL-4-Speed-Hand-Shift-Barn-Fresh-Motorcycle.jpg

Last edited:
Closest thing I have to a classic motorcycle is my 1985 Honda V65 Magna.

Don’t ride it much anymore as I ride a 2016 Roadglide most every day now.

Love that old I-XL-Schrade, Jack! I’d like to know more about it. Do you know the age of it? What’s the closed length?

Thank you my friend, it was given to me in 1981 (which I just realised means that I didn't have it the same time as my Triumph, which I had in 1979! o_O), and I carried it for many years. I gave it to my friend @Oldandintheway a couple of years ago. Not my oldest pocket knife, but the one I had owned the longest :)

It is one of a series of knives, which were made or assembled by the amalgamated firm of Joseph Rodgers & George Wostenholm, after they were acquired by Imperial in the late 1970's. There was a fair bit of secrecy surrounding them here, and they were intended strictly for export to the US, but one of the cutlers was my former brother-in-law, and I know a couple of others, including Stan Shaw. In the case of this model, the parts were actually made by Camillus (who made a near identical knife under their own name). You can still get hold of knives from this series, quite inexpensively, and they are well worth buying in my opinion :thumbsup:

My first bike I owned was when I was in high school it was a 1956 Harley Davidson FLH Panhead. I loved that bike but I would ride it a hundred miles and then would have to work on it for a hundred hours. :eek: Not really but sometimes it seemed like it broke down a lot. If I remember correctly I paid $300 for it in 1971.

This is not my bike or even my picture but it sure looks like it.

1956-Harley-Davidson-Panhead-FL-4-Speed-Hand-Shift-Barn-Fresh-Motorcycle.jpg

That's a very cool first bike Randy :) My first bike was a Kawasaki KH250 :rolleyes:

Thank you my friend, it was given to me in 1981 (which I just realised means that I didn't have it the same time as my Triumph, which I had in 1979! o_O), and I carried it for many years. I gave it to my friend @Oldandintheway a couple of years ago. Not my oldest pocket knife, but the one I had owned the longest :)

It is one of a series of knives, which were made or assembled by the amalgamated firm of Joseph Rodgers & George Wostenholm, after they were acquired by Imperial in the late 1970's. There was a fair bit of secrecy surrounding them here, and they were intended strictly for export to the US, but one of the cutlers was my former brother-in-law, and I know a couple of others, including Stan Shaw. In the case of this model, the parts were actually made by Camillus (who made a near identical knife under their own name). You can still get hold of knives from this series, quite inexpensively, and they are well worth buying in my opinion :thumbsup:

That's a very cool first bike Randy :) My first bike was a Kawasaki KH250 :rolleyes:
Thank you, Jack, for sharing that! I always appreciate your openly shared knowledge. -Lance

Thank you, Jack, for sharing that! I always appreciate your openly shared knowledge. -Lance

A pleasure Lance, I have posted about the knives before, including in the Schrade forum. I am glad to have some first-hand information about them :thumbsup:

I’m continuing to work on my ‘73 V7 Sport. The hardest part has been removing the old gasket material. Whoever rebuilt this engine last used a lot of unnecessary Permanex (gasket sealer). The shinny parts shine up very nicely.9E335CFE-1B03-4552-9830-448072F40842.jpeg DDD80073-748A-4507-BC2F-D7A7B566F2EF.jpeg 1CA32F8D-18CA-4D61-BBDE-69BC43C21DA2.jpeg C9DA8A51-98C4-4A74-9182-4B019D0E4487.jpeg 67C8112D-F43F-43C4-B451-FEA1B415D9B0.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m continuing to work on my ‘73 V7 Sport. The hardest part has been removing the old gasket material. Whoever rebuilt this engine last used a lot of unnecessary Permanex (gasket sealer). The shinny parts shine up very nicely.View attachment 992076 View attachment 992077 View attachment 992078 View attachment 992079 View attachment 992080

Very nice. You are going to love that motorcycle.

The V7 Sport came out the year after I bought my 1972 R75/5. After trying the Guzzi, I felt a little sick. I stuck with the Beemer, though, and it rewarded me with almost 200,000 miles of faithful service.

A dozen years later, my buddy Petey bought a very nice V7 Sport in a darker red than yours. The fact that he already had the V7 allowed me to pick up a MK I Le Mans in 1986. The Guzzi cafe racers have splendid road manners (very stable at speed) and very long legs. They have a relaxed way at gobbling up the miles at elevated road speeds.

A few years ago, I let the Le Mans go to the son of the original owner, for a very handsome price. Petey still has the V7, but lately has been rocking a different flavor of Guzzi, a ‘75 Eldo/Ural combo. He brought it over to my son’s house on Sunday, where it offered a diversion from the Vikings’ debacle. It should come as no surprise that the sidecar rig is a babe magnet.

Obligatory knife content: the knives that accompamied my travels were Opinels, SAKs, a small Anza and a Wirkkaala puukko.

253E29D9-5881-4944-8846-6518BD470DA7.jpeg 24C3BDB3-9BB4-4337-A7F1-E7C3C2208630.jpeg

[

Last edited:
It should come as no surprise that the sidecar rig is a babe magnet.

Man that bike looks beautiful and I love the sidecar. :cool::cool: I may be a bit off my rocker according to some folks but I really lie a sidecar on a vintage scooter. o_O:cool:

Okay this thread has brought out the little boy in me and I know this is a clunker of a knife (Mall Ninja Special) but I thought it was cool so for $15 and free shipping I bought me this "toy knife". :D:D:D The blade is housed in the bottom of the knife.

So now everyone knows my secret I'm Insane. o_O:confused::eek:

kNjtzjy.jpg

Congrats Travman Travman on the awesome score! What a find!! Found this vintage bike on the side of the road a couple years back while chasing fall colors in rural AR. Stopped at AG Russell's store while in the area.

hogtail.jpg

hogtail1.jpg

hogtail2.jpg

It may seem outdated now, but in 1865 it was way ahead of its time. Knife content?

Back