Classy, yet tank of a folder? Help needed! TSF, Dua, Slysz Bowie, Techno, or???

Another tank-like suggestion that doesn't satisfy your other criteria but is awesome IMO is the LionSteel Kur.

The Spyderco Techno is probably the best bang-for-buck. It's build like a tank, but still makes for a good slicer due to the grind.
Handles like a much bigger knife than the dimensions suggest. The fit-and-finish will be flawless.

I've been carrying my DLC carbon fiber Dua a lot recently and it's seriously an overbuilt piece of machinery:

23tsflx.jpg

I think the Sebenza is one of the tankiest knives of them all that can actually be a very effective cutting and slicing tool. Since you say it is not for you, I would recommend the following which are tanks in their own right but are still effective cutting tools: Slys Bowie, Spyderco Gayle Bradley, Benchmade Rift or Contego, CRK Umnumzaan, ZT 456 (You don't need to use this one as a flipper).

If I think of anymore I will let you know.

Last edited:
If classy, I suggest Cook, Raymond or Rassenti integral Ti folders.
If a tank, I suggest Demko.
With unlimited choices in between :)

I will stand up for the TSF Beast, Jim is a GREAT guy and this knife is tough and very durable. I have not heard of the thinner blade models but I have no problems with my original Beast cutting anything other than fine slicing, which does not seem to be one of your requirements. It is not quite as refined as the Slysz but it is hand finished by one man and the service is second to none.

I just got my hands on a slysz Bowie and it's simple yet the feel and finish are amazing. I buy and sell knives constantly and this one made it into my keeper pile. The more I use it the more I like it. I bought it new but since I'm keeping it I tore it down, cleaned it, polished the phosphor washers and lubed up with some mil-tec and the flies open and locks up solid as a tank. Like one of the others said it does have a late lockup around 80% but it's beefy yet elegant. If it made it into the keeper pile it says something so the bowie has my vote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got my hands on a slysz Bowie and it's simple yet the feel and finish are amazing. I buy and sell knives constantly and this one made it into my keeper pile. The more I use it the more I like it. I bought it new but since I'm keeping it I tore it down, cleaned it, polished the phosphor washers and lubed up with some mil-tec and the flies open and locks up solid as a tank. Like one of the others said it does have a late lockup around 80% but it's beefy yet elegant. If it made it into the keeper pile it says something so the bowie has my vote.

It really is such a sweet blade! :cool:

From this weekend
2j1aq6s.jpg

d4c551c3b0418256d1b80248bbd08b22.jpg

3c74fb0ded0e899df3ef45c83cffb547.jpg

389e4e156a64a13308cbe46d36766716.jpg

be00606167eaf3361bb9f33a8fba869a.jpg

I vote Grayman Dua. I have 2 ti/ti's with cpm20cv blades, and I beat on them in a very nasty environment. I use them to cut air hose, cut zip ties, scrape hardened coolant/sludge, clean out socket head cap screws, cut and scrape hardened p.f.a., cut cardboard, remove caulk, de-burr pipes, and all kinds of other fun stuff. They also get dropped in coolant, oil, piles of metal chips and dust, and sand blaster media. They both have held up great, flick open, and have required minimal blade maintenance.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The Benchmade Adamas is beefy. I owned one and traded it off because I didn't warm up to its handle. Posts like this make me miss it more. I am trying to get some Micarta or G10 custom handles and I will have my tank. At this point in life, why the heck not?

One more, Lil Temperance 3.
I love mine! And, it's worth price charged.
rolf

Out of the narrowed down pics ....hands down the Slysz Bowie. I was skeptical at first until I finally bought one. Everything about it is flawless and classy. Flips like a dream, great steel and easy to take down and clean!
fbffa8a40abe8908f551fc770bc6bf3e.jpg

I can not speak to all the knives misted except for the TSF Beast. It is a great knife. (I currently own 3). One original, one original with a smooth scale and rounded edges and a skinny. They do run on bearings. They are very tough folders, in my opinion carry small and slice quite well. I do not thing you would be disappointed if you chose a TSF.

Of those listed I'd go with the Dua. I've been very impressed with it. The Techno is nice but it feels awkward in my hand. The Spyderco Burch Chubby is nice. I'd also recommend a Sebenza 25, small/large Inkosi, or ZT 0900 (this one strongly) but it sounds like you've ruled them out.

F897513E-D022-401B-9C24-8D96B02456BB_zpsfzgfa4ma.jpg

6D7DEF58-A4BA-4CD4-815A-310EDDA6454F_zps8wsnjkps.jpg

AF5580D0-C91A-4BD5-A6DC-E1FD3AA26600_zpsc5zogfc4.jpg

F19A6200-BAD6-4003-919A-05B692519589_zpsbgt3irzx.jpg

682769D0-A018-4CA6-9AAD-F41910E9A384_zpsidlj91sd.jpg

The ZT 0900 is probably the best value for a robust, small folder that I've got.
40B1F0F7-39CE-44E3-AED8-C4F11DCCC130_zpsxyvj7gpn.jpg

Last edited:
I can not speak to all the knives misted except for the TSF Beast. It is a great knife. (I currently own 3). One original, one original with a smooth scale and rounded edges and a skinny. They do run on bearings. They are very tough folders, in my opinion carry small and slice quite well. I do not thing you would be disappointed if you chose a TSF.

I have been hearing that Jim is making the beast with a thinner blade as an option. Haven't seen any pics, would you mind posting some of yours?

Back