Cleaning FDE on my 7/7

Was lucky enough to pick up an FDE coated 7/7 recently and was excited when it arrived. As I usually do with all the knives I pick up second hand, I cracked open another beer and set out to clean it and make it mine. I took off the camo micarta handles and scrubbed them down and moved onto the blade. Soap, sponge and warm water was my method but it wasn't quite getting everything off. There were little specs of dark matter on part of the blade, maybe it was dirt, maybe it was a bit of rust, who knows. So I flipped the sponge (one of those yellow/green ones) over and lightly scrubbed the marks away. Probably not the smartest way to do it but I did it (don't do it). After all that the blade looked as if I had worn away some of the FDE coating. :eek:

Man was I bummed at first. But wait a second, isn't FDE supposed to be tough stuff? Maybe it's just material from the sponge steel embedded in the coating. So I grab this stuff, which I use to clean dirt, break dust, bugs and grime off my car:

And applied and wiped a few times. The results:

I got about 95% of the marks out, if I spent some more time and made a few more applications I could probably get it back to 100%. Just thought I would share with you guys, take from it what you will.

Thanks

Looks good as new. Very nice. I have noticed that the FDE coating seems to pick up material in the coating with use and doesn't like to let it go once it's in there. It looks like the cleaner you used did the trick of getting it out.

For a second, I thought this was Nateand101's 7/7 :p

I might end up waiting for the next round of 7/7s to hit the streets. As of now, it's kinda hard to justify needing anything between my 5.1 and my SYKCO Dogfather...

Hey, I might have beat you to it, but I had just ordered the 5.1
Good stuff man, enjoy that 7/7. Looks like I will have to wait for the next round after all

I might have some sellers remorse, but I'm sure it will get some good use. Looking forward to seeing it out in the wild.
For me the 5.1 just fit my needs better.

Back