Cleaning G-10

One small caution on the Mr. clean erasers. They are slightly abrasive so if you clean frequently enough you might smooth out the texture of the G10.

On light colored G10 I start by cleaning with a wet magic eraser. Then rinse under hot water, followed by blowing it dry with compressed air. If the G10 looks dry I will put a coat of mineral oil on and wipe it back off with a rag. Depending on the knife I may or may not lube the pivot with nano oil.
Just a note; I love ballistol for cleaning guns but for use on knives I tend to use plain mineral oil instead since its 100% food safe and scentless. If you don't already know, mineral oil is the main ingredient in ballistol.

They are slightly abrasive

Tru dat. They are not supposed to be used on glossy surfaces, marble, etc. as they can scratch it. If you look at it under a microscope (online) you can see the zillions of tiny cutting surfaces, which are the same ones that make it effective for cleaning. The "magic" in the Magic Eraser.

Revival of an old thread!

I’ve got a new knife that has white markings, almost like a fade, under where the clip used to be on the left side before I bought it.

Which one of these techniques should I try to restore that to new?

Thanks!

I'm still finding that Ballistol is still my favorite product to clean and rejuvenate G-10 handles. But I am watching this thread intently because if I ever find anything that works better than Ballistol I will switch to it ASAP. But the almost new, factory fresh look that Ballistol gives it works better than anything I've tried up till now.

Now for general cleaning of really greasy, oily, grimey type dirt I've had some good results with Bar Keeper's Friend cleanser.

Back