Cleaning satisfaction

I spent a little time cleaning up an old Buck today myself.
I couldn't get the Brasso to do what I wanted so I used the old Catsup trick. Spread it on and let it set for a few hours. It cleaned up nice. The pitting is still there but the tarnish is gone.
It would be nice to have a polishing wheel as I'm sure I could get the pitting out, but I like to use that knife so....
What did you use on those in your pics?
Those cleaned up pretty nice.

Oh, I almost forgot Skeletor, Happy 4th!

Does anyone else get a sense of satisfaction from cleaning up some of their knives?

Absolutely! I just spent a few hours this afternoon doing just that. Knife cleaning, sharpening, and polishing relaxes my mind. It's part of the "knife experience". And I prefer the old-school method of using stones, oil, polishing compound, lots of rags, and finishing up on a strop. I don't have the skill to make my own knives, but boy can I take a beat up user and make it look like new.

Have a great Independence Day ya'll!

I spent a little time cleaning up an old Buck today myself.
I couldn't get the Brasso to do what I wanted so I used the old Catsup trick. Spread it on and let it set for a few hours. It cleaned up nice. The pitting is still there but the tarnish is gone.
It would be nice to have a polishing wheel as I'm sure I could get the pitting out, but I like to use that knife so....
What did you use on those in your pics?
Those cleaned up pretty nice.

Oh, I almost forgot Skeletor, Happy 4th!

Hey! I use brasso but in liquid form rather than the classic wadding. I also use autosol slightly more abrasive but it works incredibly well. Then a couple of rags and some muscle :)

I’m a Brit however I celebrated the 4th a few years ago when I was in California we had two car crashes while we was there too! Fireworks were off the chart and that was just my temper

Cool. Autosol. Never used it. Have to get me some.
Love your sense of humor.

You didn't set fire to anything while you were here did ya?

Have a good one
Thanks.

Look at some new factory black sawcuts and you will likely see a blade bolster pin that appears higher than the surrounding bolster material. If you use a big high speed cloth wheel yourselves you can increase this raised pin look if you are not careful. I generally keep my rounded bolster 300s away from big cloth wheels.
I have picked up a habit of using Renaissance wax after polishing and it greatly extends the polished look over time. And helps fight the white substance caused by the de-gassing of the the sawcut Delrin and Valox handle slabs. I keep mine out of boxes and sheaths also, just let them lie naked in the drawers. Will use a leather carrier on users now and again. 300

Back