Clipless / Loose carry

KVT

This may have been beaten to death, but anybody ever do loose pocket carry?
I have gone back and forth. I have removed clips and carried loose in the pocket. I have carried clipped (always tip up).
It kinda depends on the knife and the pants. I carry 2 phones about 50% of the time (sucks) which often times presents front pocket problems. Phones and knives generally fight each other and leave war-wounds.
I often carry smaller, thinner knives loose in my BR pocket.
Anybody else carry loose?

No. Never. Several other options if I was gonna take the clip off, but I'm not leaving a knife flopping around in my pocket.

I carry loose, but usually with a pocket slip because they ride with my keys and change. I just got an Mora Eldris and it is perfect for pockets (at least mine).

Most clips don't even fit over the lip of my jean pockets, so yes, I carry clipless. On knives where it doesn't leave any glaring aesthetic flaws I will remove the clip.

15pqtqo.jpg

My XM-24 with filler tabs in both slots. I wish I could do this with every knife!

Although my K-2 doesn't look too bad.....the clip it comes with is way, way too rigid to use anyway.

x0oio4.jpg

Feels great in your hand not having the clip too.

I never have, but if I ever did I'd probably carry something like a Delica without the clip, or any smaller knife with with a strong closed bias.

This may have been beaten to death, but anybody ever do loose pocket carry?
I have gone back and forth. I have removed clips and carried loose in the pocket. I have carried clipped (always tip up).
It kinda depends on the knife and the pants. I carry 2 phones about 50% of the time (sucks) which often times presents front pocket problems. Phones and knives generally fight each other and leave war-wounds.
I often carry smaller, thinner knives loose in my BR pocket.
Anybody else carry loose?

I wear pretty tight jeans so loose carry works great! And if I have sweatpants on I don't find most clips to be reliable and the knife flails about so they sit in the pocket.

I carry most of my traditionals use and often carry loose around the house when I'm in my PJ's. I also remove clips on many of my bigger folders (4") and then run a fob, but I run those loose sometimes as well as long as their design doesn't cause them to lay sideways (usually the big ones can't any how). I also loose carry a lot in a front vest pocket.

However, I also carry with a clip a lot as well when I'm in my standard work attire and I'm not in a situation that people will be offended by me having a knife.

I prefer a knife in the bottom of my pocket to having it pressed against me when it's clipped. It grinds against my hip at work. There are advantages to either way, like using a clipped knife while wearing gloves.

I carry a slipjoint nearly everyday (along with a modern pocket clip folder) ... but I prefer to use a leather slip to put those in ...

it's usually a ln Alox SAK Farmer but have a few Case and GECs and my Lionsteel ... the leather slip not only keeps them protected but they move around less no matter what I'm doing.

I've got a few different knives and I choose based on what I'm wearing. If a knife is loose in a pocket, it's usually the only thing in that pocket. Some clips and the overall shape of some knives can create an uncomfortable hot spot against my leg in a pants pocket. Clips would get removed for this kind of carry but I just don't do it very often.

One of my favorite ways to carry a small knife is in my shirt pocket. There is a magic balance that happens when a knife is the right length and thickness, with the right clip, in a sturdy enough shirt that it can ride alongside a pen or a pen light. The Kershaw Dividend can do this with a loop-over clip on a lot of my shirts. On my sturdiest shirts, the Tangram Amarillo hangs but is light enough not to deform the pocket much.

With softer flannels, I just drop in a small knife with no clip. The Tangram Amarillo works fairly well with its clip removed. The most comfortable knife for this method has been the Kershaw Hotwire, sans clip. That thing is remarkably ergonomic and works really well for a sub-$10 knife. I just wish it held a better edge. If only they made a premium version of the Hotwire in good steel...

I carry some knives with a clip, any other would go in a nylon pouch in the left front pocket, or in a KSF leather pocket sheath. I do not like my knife banging up, loose against coins and keys. The only time it is loose in the pocket is if the knife is a small knife.

I have often wondered what a horizontal carry of a folder would be like with a nice form fitting leather sheath. I have read here on the forums or in Knife magazine that in the old days, boys would actually have a spot built into their boots or shoes to carry a knife.

Last edited:
Of course.
The reason I remove clips though is if they get in the way of my grip. For instance, and it is a largish knife, my Spyderco Pattadda is MUCH better without the pocket clip.
But
many of those size knives I carry in a belt pouch. The pouch has a belt clip so it goes on and off in seconds.
One knife that I can easily carry loose in pocket is my all time Grail which is a Brad Zinker Urban Trapper. I have added thick handle scales to it but despite that the scales are very light and what with the Ti frame of the BZUT the whole package disappears in my pocket and I never notice the bulk or any weight though the blade is longer than a Case Trapper.
again though it mostly gets carried in the belt pouch because I don't want lint and dirt in the microscopic ball bearings of the pivot.
The Case Trapper(s) that I compared to the BZUT are completely impossible to carry loose in pocket for me. The things are constantly reminding me they are there (I love, love, love the knife though).
Pouch time for those.

What do I carry loose then you scream in frustration ?
SAK Mini Champ, an Imperial of Ireland Peanut, most any traditional the size of a Medium Stockman. I suppose I could carry my UKPK that way but rarely do / the clip on it works very well for me.
I was shocked some time ago to have the lock on my Tasman Salt fail to lock all the way. I have hardly carried it and always with the clip. The culprit ? Lint in the latch slot.
A bit of work with a tooth pick and the knife began to work perfectly again.

Careful getting lint from the bottom of a pocket in any knife you are going to rely on that has a lock; it may not.

I switched to a different wallet last year so that I could tuck some clipless knives in my back pocket (OHT Vic and Bucks). My wallet has 'squarish' sides, so it helps keep the knife in position. Generally, I prefer the feeling of the knife's grip without the clip. I will admit, however, that the knife's position is more secure with a clip. I have to pay more attention when taking my wallet out and putting it back in to check that the knife didn't change positions and sit horizontally while paying for items with my wallet out.

The only time I carry loose is with cargo shorts and my wallet and handkerchief are in the same pocket so it doesn't flop around. I get tired of clips chewing up pockets.

Back