CLOSED, EDC2 pre-order

Nathan the Machinist

KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
This pre-order is now closed to new orders, thank you.

Please post only one time to this thread.
Please do not make multiple posts or chat. This is my order list and it needs to stay simple and uncluttered or it isn't going to work.

I'm locking this to give folks a chance to read it before jumping into it. This will unlock at 5:00 EST

I'm making this list because many people have requested it, not because I want one. There have been a lot of requests for pre-orders, and since the material is here and running and the last pre-order is off of the mills now I'm okay with starting a new pre-order.

These are some pictures of what it doesn't look like:

1.jpg~original

3.jpg~original

4.jpg~original

5.jpg~original

6.jpg~original

7.jpg~original

11.jpg~original

^ that is the previous version, it will have a few tweaks.

This is a computer rendering of the EDC2

jM0ImNz.jpg

This is an overlay illustrating the tweaks from the original

S413Aq4.jpg

As you can see it's a hair longer, the belly is pushed out towards the tip and the grind comes up a little higher due to tweaking from .135" to .145". The bevel angles and edge geometry are unchanged. Not seen, the scales are being trimmed down a tad to be a little bit thinner. Not much.

The 3" EDC was designed as a collaboration with Lorien Arnold. It is a well made, no frills, high performance, small utility knife. The steel is Crucible CPM 3V at HRC 61-62 with a fully optimized heat treat with very good edge retention and edge stability. You'll be surprised how sharp this gets and how well it holds an edge. If you have never used 3V this hard and thin, it is gonna blow your mind.

This steel with this heat treat will support a fine edge, so this was taken down to .015" before sharpening (though I'm leaving some additional meat in the tip) and it was sharpened 18 degrees per side. This is relatively acute and it cuts very well, but is durable. They're also lightly hand ground after machining to give it a slight convex grind.

Some might consider this a tactical knife but the point is not reinforced and it is not shaped or balanced as a weapon. It's thin behind the edge. It is a hard working cutting tool, a tradesman's knife and small woods knife.

It's very light weight.

The handle is ergonomically designed for a standard forward, reverse, saber and pinch grips for an average to relatively large hand. Despite its compact size it fills the hand and allows extended hard work without hand fatigue. The tang is internally skeletonized. The scales are 3D sculpted CNC machined. The blade is made of 5/32" 3V with a heat treat that has been optimized to maximize edge stability in rough use (see video).
Despite being relatively thin it is very durable.

A side effect of this heat treat is a higher percentage of free chromium, so although it is not stainless, it is nearly so.

Price includes a good kydex sheath. We're actually still working out the details on the sheath. If there ends up being some kind of either-or sheath option Jo will clarify your preferences before shipping.

Here are the specs:

Specs:
Delta 3V, 61-62 HRC, .145” thick at ricasso (a little over 1/8")
Total length 7.6
Blade length 3.3
Weight 4.9 oz
Edge angle 18 DPS
.020" BTE
Grippy 3D machined scales in micarta or G10
Black oxide treated 18-8 stainless steel fasteners
Hidden lanyard

These are all “field grade”, “as machined” and stonewashed with tool and grind marks.

$220 in canvas micarta, natural or black
$230 in OD green micarta
$230 in black or OD green G10
$240 in maroon micarta
$255 in antique micarta on a black liner

Shipping in the USA is $10.

Note on the antique micarta: This is very old surplus that I bought up. I don't know who made it, though Westinghouse was the big name in the business back when this would have been made. It is quality material that machines well, polishes evenly and is more thoroughly resin impregnated and harder than material I can find available today. It is proven to be "good stuff". The material is natural color but has aged into a deep brown thoughout most of the thickness from oxygen, but there are some areas that are lighter in color, so it is streaky and multi color. It's actually a really cool look IMO. I will book match the pieces as I saw it up and make sure the two sides of the knife are a good match, but you get what you get. If you want light color, multi color or solid dark you can request it and if we have it I'll try to match up people's request with available scales, but understand this color is naturally occurring and varies and you get what you get, probably mostly solid dark brown.

Here is the order process:

I'm going to take full payment in advance and hold your money. While I think this is usually a bad policy, so I don't generally recommend it, I've been around a while, my shop is an incorporated business established in 2001, so I'm probably not going anywhere. I will ship your knife when it's finished. Once your order is confirmed there are no refunds, changes or cancellations. I will leave this preorder open for a while, once it has been open for a while or if it gets too big I'll close it. We are cutting chips on this project now, they'll start to finish up in about three months. They will ship as they're finished in the order that they are ordered in. As I'm building them, half the knives made will go to this pre-order, the other half will be sold in regular sales. This means you will see knives being sold while you're waiting for your knife.

When you place your order it will sit on the order thread for a day or more before we process it. In that time frame you can change your order. So, if you wake up and decide you want one instead of two, or you want micarta instead of G10 you can edit your post. Once Jo contacts you (you need email or PM "turned on" or send contact info to her) and you finalize your order it is finalized. Please don't add changes after-the-fact because it is this sort of thing that has made lists unmanageable in the past and is the reason I don't normally keep lists.

Jo will contact you to determine your payment preference. Options are check, cash, MO and paypal. You will also need to confirm where you want it shipped. This will be done by Jo the Machinist private message or email.

This list will be up for a couple days.

If, after a while, you don't hear from us and we don't hear from you, something is getting lost in the interwebs or spam filters. So if you haven't confirmed your order and received your invoice after a week or two you should contact Jo at carothers knives at gmail dought com.

Last edited:
i'll take two plz - od green micarta & antique micarta, thx!

9/5 contacted and paid

12/18 shipped

Last edited by a moderator:
In for (2) please:

Antique micarta, edgecut, buffed (multicolored as possible)

9/5 contacted and paid

12/18 shipped

I'll take 3.

9/5 sent PM

9/6 invoiced

9/11 paid

12/18 shipped

2 x EDC (version 2) with antique micarta, the more color variation, the better

9/5 contacted

9/6 paid

12/22 shipped

I'll take 1~ in antique micarta on a black liner ( light color with streaks please)

Thank you,
Al

9/5 contacted

9/11 paid

12/28 shipped

I'll take two - od green G10 and antique micarta.
Please and thanks!
C.

9/5 contacted and paid

12/28 shipped

I would like 2 of these, one antique micarta (edge cut with contrast if possible), and one in maroon. Thanks!

9/5 contacted and paid

12/28 shipped

Three please.
Two in antique micarta-edge cut if possible.
One in buffed black micarta-no sheath for this one.

Also, an extra set of unbuffed black micarta scales.

Thank you

9/5 contacted and paid

12/28 shipped

Hello, I'll take two, one in maroon micarta and one in OD green micarta.

If it matters I vote for another horizontal belt sheath like was available on the EDC. Thank you!

9/5 contacted and paid

12/28 shipped

I'm in for 2 x EDC-2 both with antique edge cut micarta scales please.

Thank you Jo / Nathan for the preorder list :thumbsup:

9/6 contacted and paid

12/29 shipped

I’d like two – one in natural micarta, one in antique micarta on a black liner

(Edit for my own notes - it looks like I've got #24 and #25 on the list, for a total of $485)

9/6 sent email

9/7 invoiced and paid

1/9 shipped

I'll take one please in antique micarta (the gnarlier the better) and thanks!

Also an extra set of unbuffed OD green micarta.

9/6 sent email

9/7 invoiced and paid

1/9 shipped

I'll take 3! All in antique micarta! (If 3 is ok..) the more streaks and colors the better!

Also, if there is any shadetree left for EDC1, I'd love a set in emerald and a set in brown.

Thank you!

9/6 contacted and paid

1/11 shipping

Nathan & Jo

Thanks for the pre-order!! I would like 2 (two) of the new EDC 2 blades

Both of them in antique micarta (buffed), edgecut please and multi-color if possible on a black liner.

Thanks!!!

9/6 contacted and paid

1/16 shipped

Ill take 2 in antique micarta with black liners and streaky if possible thanks

9/6 sent email

9/7 invoiced and paid

1/16 shipped

I'll take one in antique micarta, please!

9/6 sent email

9/7 invoiced

9/13 paid

1/16 shipped

1 please, OD green g10. Thanks

9/6 sent email, Paid

1/16 shipped

In on the pre-order

9/6 sent email

9/7 paid

1/16 shipped

In for 1 Antique Micarta. I would like a multi color piece if possible. Thanks email is wespmoore@gmail.com

9/6 sent email

9/7 invoiced, paid

1/16 shipped

In for one with antique micarta lighter colored if possible

9/6 sent email

9/7 invoiced, paid

1/16 shipped

I'll take one in antique micarta

9/6 sent email

9/7 invoiced, paid

1/16 shipped

I will take one with antique micarta, please.

9/7 emailed and invoiced

9/11 paid

1/18 shipping

2 for me - 1 edge cut antique micarta and 1 maroon micarta

9/7 emailed, paid

1/18 shipping

I will take 2 antique micarta with black liners please.

9/7 emailed and invoiced

1/18 shipping

Back