CLOSED, EDC2 pre-order

I'm in for 3 edge cut antique micarta black liners, thanks!

9/14 invoiced and paid

3/17 shipping

Last edited by a moderator:
In for 1 in Antique micarta please.

Thanks Nathan and Jo!

9/14 invoiced and paid

3/17 shipping

I would like one with black canvas Micarta.

Thanks for the pre-order. :thumbsup:

9/14 invoiced and paid

3/17 shipping

I would like one with antique micarta w/black liners and one with maroon micarta.

Thank you.

9/13 invoiced and paid

3/17 shipping

I'll take 1 EDC 2.0 in antique micarta please! Thanks!

9/13 invoiced

9/14 paid

Jo: I'll take a vertical sheath please. Thanks!

3/17 shipping

ill take one with od green micarta unless by chance i can get antique micarta

9/13 left msg on thread

9/17 rec email. Thanks!

9/17 invoiced and paid

3/17 shipping

I would like one with antique micarta as well.
Thanks

9/13 invoiced and paid

3/17 shipping

I'll take one in maroon micarta. ($240 in maroon micarta)

9/13 left message on thread

9/18 contacted and invoiced

9/19 paid

3/17 shipping

I will take 3 EDC 2.0's in antique micarta for me, my brother, and dad. Thank you for the pre-order opportunity.

9/13 emailed

9/17 invoiced and paid

4/9 shipped

Antique micarta please

9/13 invoiced and paid

4/9 shipped

2 please. One green micarta and one antique. Thank you!

9/13 invoiced

9/18 paid

4/11 shipped

Hi Nathan and Jo!
Thank you for the opportunity on this run.
I would like two please if possible.
1 in Black Canvas Micarta
1 in Antique Micarta (solid dark brown) on Black Liner
Take care and thank you again.
Steve

9/13 sent email

9/17 invoiced and paid

April-Need sheath preference- Ready to ship!

Please post only one time to this thread. Please do not make multiple posts or chat. This is my order list and it needs to stay simple and uncluttered or it isn't going to work.

I'm locking this to give folks a chance to read it before jumping into it. This will unlock at 5:00 EST

I'm making this list because many people have requested it, not because I want one. There have been a lot of requests for pre-orders, and since the material is here and running and the last pre-order is off of the mills now I'm okay with starting a new pre-order.

These are some pictures of what it doesn't look like:

1.jpg~original

3.jpg~original

4.jpg~original

5.jpg~original

6.jpg~original

7.jpg~original

11.jpg~original

^ that is the previous version, it will have a few tweaks.

This is a computer rendering of the EDC2

jM0ImNz.jpg

This is an overlay illustrating the tweaks from the original

S413Aq4.jpg

As you can see it's a hair longer, the belly is pushed out towards the tip and the grind comes up a little higher due to tweaking from .135" to .145". The bevel angles and edge geometry are unchanged. Not seen, the scales are being trimmed down a tad to be a little bit thinner. Not much.

The 3" EDC was designed as a collaboration with Lorien Arnold. It is a well made, no frills, high performance, small utility knife. The steel is Crucible CPM 3V at HRC 61-62 with a fully optimized heat treat with very good edge retention and edge stability. You'll be surprised how sharp this gets and how well it holds an edge. If you have never used 3V this hard and thin, it is gonna blow your mind.

This steel with this heat treat will support a fine edge, so this was taken down to .015" before sharpening (though I'm leaving some additional meat in the tip) and it was sharpened 18 degrees per side. This is relatively acute and it cuts very well, but is durable. They're also lightly hand ground after machining to give it a slight convex grind.

Some might consider this a tactical knife but the point is not reinforced and it is not shaped or balanced as a weapon. It's thin behind the edge. It is a hard working cutting tool, a tradesman's knife and small woods knife.

It's very light weight.

The handle is ergonomically designed for a standard forward, reverse, saber and pinch grips for an average to relatively large hand. Despite its compact size it fills the hand and allows extended hard work without hand fatigue. The tang is internally skeletonized. The scales are 3D sculpted CNC machined. The blade is made of 5/32" 3V with a heat treat that has been optimized to maximize edge stability in rough use (see video).
Despite being relatively thin it is very durable.

A side effect of this heat treat is a higher percentage of free chromium, so although it is not stainless, it is nearly so.

Price includes a good kydex sheath. We're actually still working out the details on the sheath. If there ends up being some kind of either-or sheath option Jo will clarify your preferences before shipping.

Here are the specs:

Specs:
Delta 3V, 61-62 HRC, .145” thick at ricasso (a little over 1/8")
Total length 7.6
Blade length 3.3
Weight 4.9 oz
Edge angle 18 DPS
.020" BTE
Grippy 3D machined scales in micarta or G10
Black oxide treated 18-8 stainless steel fasteners
Hidden lanyard

These are all “field grade”, “as machined” and stonewashed with tool and grind marks.

$220 in canvas micarta, natural or black
$230 in OD green micarta
$230 in black or OD green G10
$240 in maroon micarta
$255 in antique micarta on a black liner

Shipping in the USA is $10.

Note on the antique micarta: This is very old surplus that I bought up. I don't know who made it, though Westinghouse was the big name in the business back when this would have been made. It is quality material that machines well, polishes evenly and is more thoroughly resin impregnated and harder than material I can find available today. It is proven to be "good stuff". The material is natural color but has aged into a deep brown thoughout most of the thickness from oxygen, but there are some areas that are lighter in color, so it is streaky and multi color. It's actually a really cool look IMO. I will book match the pieces as I saw it up and make sure the two sides of the knife are a good match, but you get what you get. If you want light color, multi color or solid dark you can request it and if we have it I'll try to match up people's request with available scales, but understand this color is naturally occurring and varies and you get what you get, probably mostly solid dark brown.

Here is the order process:

I'm going to take full payment in advance and hold your money. While I think this is usually a bad policy, so I don't generally recommend it, I've been around a while, my shop is an incorporated business established in 2001, so I'm probably not going anywhere. I will ship your knife when it's finished. Once your order is confirmed there are no refunds, changes or cancellations. I will leave this preorder open for a while, once it has been open for a while or if it gets too big I'll close it. We are cutting chips on this project now, they'll start to finish up in about three months. They will ship as they're finished in the order that they are ordered in. As I'm building them, half the knives made will go to this pre-order, the other half will be sold in regular sales. This means you will see knives being sold while you're waiting for your knife.

When you place your order it will sit on the order thread for a day or more before we process it. In that time frame you can change your order. So, if you wake up and decide you want one instead of two, or you want micarta instead of G10 you can edit your post. Once Jo contacts you (you need email or PM "turned on" or send contact info to her) and you finalize your order it is finalized. Please don't add changes after-the-fact because it is this sort of thing that has made lists unmanageable in the past and is the reason I don't normally keep lists.

Jo will contact you to determine your payment preference. Options are check, cash, MO and paypal. You will also need to confirm where you want it shipped. This will be done by Jo the Machinist private message or email.

This list will be for at least 40 knives. If it's going smooth I will extend it.

If, after a while, you don't hear from us and we don't hear from you, something is getting lost in the interwebs or spam filters. So if you haven't confirmed your order and received your invoice after a week or two you should contact Jo at carothers knives at gmail dought com.
I'd love one in antique micarta

I had the wrong email. Please email me jocarothers (at) gmail (dot) com Thanks!

I would like one in black micarta and one in antique micarta, both buffed. Thanks Nathan and Jo.

ETA: If this helps, I would like both with a vertical sheath.

9/13 emailed

9/15 invoiced

9/25 paid

4/11 shipped

In for one in antique micarta buffed with no liners please.

9/13 emailed

9/19 invoiced and paid

4/12 shipped

I'll take one in natural canvas micarta.
Thanks Nathan.

9/13 invoiced and paid

4/12 shipped

1 black micarta

9/13 invoiced

9/18 paid

4/12 shipped

I'll take 1 EDC 2.0 with antique micarta. The lighter the color, the better.

Chris

9/13 invoiced and paid

4/12 shipped

Back