CLOSED, PRE-ORDER, 12" Behemoth Chopper

Just curious if this is going to incorporate the same s-grind geometry as the HDFK. Any other tweaks and improvements you're particularly excited about? I'm always interested in seeing your CQI and thoughts on improving performance!

Just curious if this is going to incorporate the same s-grind geometry as the HDFK. Any other tweaks and improvements you're particularly excited about? I'm always interested in seeing your CQI and thoughts on improving performance!

Same S grind and primary grind angle as the Competition Cutters, the only difference is thicker edge and Delta 3V at HRC 60.5 for greater durability. The BC is going to be a well balanced cutting powerhouse. I can get through a 2X4 in five hits (pretty good for a flabby middle aged machinist) which I can't even beat with a real racing knife, yet it's light enough I can still snap cut a free hanging rope with ease. I love this knife.

The biggest change with the production BC is an improved grip design. It is similar but it received an enormous amount of time and tweaks for refinement which has given us our best handle yet (which is also used on the MC).

Any new news

20180522_183141.jpg

We are machining them. They're too large to fit enough multiple fixtures on the mills for a continuous process with finished blades coming out at the end of the process so this is a large batch run instead. We're on ops one and two.

I figured we'd start to ship around the middle of the year, that's soon. That estimate was based on receiving material within a month of ordering it (which is pretty typical) but in this case they actually had to make the billet before they could roll it for me which added a few weeks to receiving the material.

I committed to ship by the end of the year and I'm still comfortable with that.

Last edited:
I know the ordering window is closed but if you have anyone drop out I will take one.

I'll throw my hat in here. If someone wants to sell their place in line or one of their extra BC's, I'd love to own one. :) TIA!

Thanks for the offers guys!

Last edited:
I wish there was more chatter on this project. It would be great to get machining updates, thoughts on sheaths and sheath makers who are on the buy list or planning to make sheaths.

Maybe some carry ideas. I am hoping to attach to a back pack where I can somehow reach behind me a pull.

It is such a large blade. What are people’s intened uses goethe zbehemoth.

Adjust very excited about this project.

I wish there was more chatter on this project. It would be great to get machining updates, thoughts on sheaths and sheath makers who are on the buy list or planning to make sheaths.

Maybe some carry ideas. I am hoping to attach to a back pack where I can somehow reach behind me a pull.

It is such a large blade. What are people’s intened uses goethe zbehemoth.

Adjust very excited about this project.

Start a thread brother! I think everyone would be reluctant to chat too much about it here in the preorder thread, but I'm sure there's interest :thumbsup:

I would love to see machining updates on these. More so would love to have been able to get on the list for one of these behemoths :).

I would love to see machining updates on these. More so would love to have been able to get on the list for one of these behemoths :).

The first batch of 120 are almost completely machined. The first 80 are at heat treat now, the other 40 (awaiting final trim out) will ship (to heat treat) this week. We'll be changing over the Mori to bevel HDFK in a couple days.

We have material to do probably 80 more BC in processes and we will include them in a batch of Medium Choppers (and a limited run of Heavy Choppers) that will start cutting chips in about a month.

Last edited:
The first batch of 120 are almost completely machined. The first 80 are at heat treat now, the other 40 (awaiting final trim out) will ship this week. We'll be changing over the Mori to bevel HDFK in a couple days.

We have material to do probably 80 more BC in processes and we will include them in a batch of Medium Choppers (and a limited run of Heavy Choppers) that will start cutting chips in about a month.

OUTSTANDING news!!!

Thanks for the update :)

In for a spot if someone is looking to unload their spot in line.

The first batch of 120 are almost completely machined. The first 80 are at heat treat now, the other 40 (awaiting final trim out) will ship (to heat treat) this week. We'll be changing over the Mori to bevel HDFK in a couple days.

Any more updates on the pre-order BCs?

Any more updates on the pre-order BCs?

77 just came back from the logjam at heat treat. We're starting the final processes on them now. The final tempering, straightening, grinding, tumbling and sharpening takes 2-3 hours per blade before they can be stoned, stropped, final tested, final assembled and packaged for shipping. This is slower than our normal process so our normal 30-50 / week output will be lower. I anticipate us being able to produce about 15 per week and shipping the first shipment of them on the 24th. It's a big damn knife.

On the plus side, all of the special tooling we've made to make a knife this size in our process has worked out. What we're doing is working, it's just not super fast.

Back