CLOSED, PRE-ORDER, 6" Utility Fighter 2

when I received my BFKs, I was thinking hard wether I should tear the seal or leave it 😅
stupid question, any idea how long one could keep it inside the seal before one has to open it to reapply oil on the blade?

If it is in a kydex sheath, I would think indefinitely. If it is not in a kydex sheath but is in a cardboard packaging you might want to pull it out of eventually. That is not acid-free archival paper and I imagine if left in contact for years it might eventually stain it.

I learned the hard way that blue painters tape will stain

Hi Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist or Jo the Machinist Jo the Machinist

Can you offer a rough, no obligation, gage on when this preorder will wrap up?

Happy New Year to you and the crew.

TR

EDIT: I thought this was about the DEK preorder, not the UF. I wasn't paying close attention, sorry.

The UF pre-order should finish by the end of May. The double edge being the last to finish.

Original post, about DEK:

I think most people will have their knives by the end of the year but I'm giving myself 18 months to deliver because of the complexity of this pre-order, there may be a few at the tail end.

I received enough magnacut to confirm that it is an excellent stainless option for us however I did not receive enough to go through our heat treat optimization process.

Magnacut is a new steel and there are already shortages. I don't even know when I'm going to be able to receive mine.

Once I receive it I can make the knives from it but those knives will not be ready for heat treat until I have gone through the heat treat optimization process which cannot happen until I've made some of those knives to use as test vehicles.

Hopefully this entire pre-order rolls out at the same rate as our other pre-orders. But who knows, it's impossible for me to predict, there are too many variables.

Last edited:
I think most people will have their knives by the end of the year but I'm giving myself 18 months to deliver because of the complexity of this pre-order, there may be a few at the tail end.

I received enough magnacut to confirm that it is an excellent stainless option for us however I did not receive enough to go through our heat treat optimization process.

Magnacut is a new steel and there are already shortages. I don't even know when I'm going to be able to receive mine.

Once I receive it I can make the knives from it but those knives will not be ready for heat treat until I have gone through the heat treat optimization process which cannot happen until I've made some of those knives to use as test vehicles.

Hopefully this entire pre-order rolls out at the same rate as our other pre-orders. But who knows, it's impossible for me to predict, there are too many variables.
Boss do you have the DEK and the UF2 preorders mixed up?

Nathan,
Are you talking about the UF2 pre-order or the dek1,2,3 pre-order? I'm confused as this is in the UF2 pre-order thread ?...
Also since you haven't received the magnacut steel to be used for the heat treat optimization process does that mean that your still in the testing part of the optimization process of magnacut steel ? And when the steel does come in you'll still be in the optimization process of its own heat treatment? Thanks for your time and I hope to hear back from you soon !...

FRC505 aka Frank Cervantes

Well since we're all gathered here in the UF2 pre-order thread I'd like to ask if you have gotten any of the DEF's finished as of yet ?...

FRC505 aka Frank Cervantes

Back