CLOSED, PRE-ORDER, DEK1

I'll be taking a bunch of them! I hope my knife has Osage Orange scales. But all of the wood scales I've seen so far are gorgeous! Maybe I should remove the wood scales and use my TeroTuf scales for EDC?

You may want to pose this question to Nathan before you do that because IIRC, he had emphatically said "NO!" in the past when I had a harebrained idea to swap over my cocobolo wood scales which came on an Elmax satin UF with someone else's whatever-it-was at the time! If you had asked for Osage, the chances are very good that you will get Osage.

Congrats on the shipping notification which incidentally puts us both in the same boat with that regard. I know that Nathan was working on my penetrater tip on a swedged DEK1 right up to the very end.

You may want to pose this question to Nathan before you do that because IIRC, he had emphatically said "NO!" in the past when I had a harebrained idea to swap over my cocobolo wood scales which came on an Elmax satin UF with someone else's whatever-it-was at the time! If you had asked for Osage, the chances are very good that you will get Osage.

Congrats on the shipping notification which incidentally puts us both in the same boat with that regard. I know that Nathan was working on my penetrater tip on a swedged DEK1 right up to the very end.

Thanks. I'm very capable of doing the job. And I use hot-air to loosen the Loctite. The scales will be protected from the hot-air with Kapton tape if I decide to remove and save them. I may just leave them on. I can use one of my sons knives to see what the knife will look and feel like with different scales on it. My oldest son lives close by me and my youngest son is in the Navy and stationed in California.
I didn't know that I could request the wood type. But I have mentioned it many times in the threads. The DEK1 was my first pre-order.

^ competency and proficiency aside, IIRC the older wood handles like the cocobolo ones on my 2017 elmax UF were epoxied on. That process may have changed since, I dunno... Nathan would know.

I was thinking that other people had removed their wooden scales but I could be wrong. If they are epoxied on then I will leave them on. If it doesn't have Osage Orange scales then I will probably not touch it at all and see if someone wants to trade knives with me.

I was thinking that other people had removed their wooden scales but I could be wrong. If they are epoxied on then I will leave them on. If it doesn't have Osage Orange scales then I will probably not touch it at all and see if someone wants to trade knives with me.
Oh man really? I find the other woods just as beautiful personally... do hope you get what you want! 👊

Oh man really? I find the other woods just as beautiful personally... do hope you get what you want! 👊

That's true - they are all beautiful. I also love black scales so if I get the African Blackwood, I just might keep them. But I really love Osage Orange.

That's true - they are all beautiful. I also love black scales so if I get the African Blackwood, I just might keep them. But I really love Osage Orange.
Actually you know what, I lied. I do like Osage and Africa Blackwood equally. Less so on Cocobolo. Hope you get what you're after. Jo is pretty amazing (seriously) and likely to accomodate what you prefer - just depends if she saw your post/s on preference of not... best of luck

Last edited:
Actually you know what, I lied. I do like Osage and Africa Blackwood equally. Less so on Cocobolo. Hope you get what you're after. Jo is pretty amazing (seriously) and likely to accomodate what you prefer - just depends if she saw your post/s on preference of not... best of luck

Yep, Jo is amazing! I've never been a Cocobolo guy either for some reason. I normally prefer Osage Orange and black on scales. My oldest son prefers black and will definitely choose the double black Micarta scales. My youngest son will probably want the double red mounted on his knife but might choose the green & black linen Micarta. But I'll let them choose a couple extra scales if they want to change scales sometime.

^ competency and proficiency aside, IIRC the older wood handles like the cocobolo ones on my 2017 elmax UF were epoxied on. That process may have changed since, I dunno... Nathan would know.

You may have seen it already but I asked Nathan and he said that he doesn't epoxy the wooden scales anymore. I'm thinking maybe just collecting it and buying another DEK1 to EDC now though. When I hold it in my hands that is probably what I'll do if I can buy another one with the swedge and penetrator tip in D3V.

I had to cancel my order the other day and now that I've seen some videos on YouTube I really wished I hadn't canceled! Welp, here's hoping the DEK1 books open soon.....

I'm sorry to hear that. I didn't think that people could cancel an order this late, not that I would want to.

Back