CLOSED Pre-Order, Light Choppers, 3V, micarta, TeroTuf, CLOSED, SHIPPED

Nathan the Machinist

KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
The last of these orders are complete 8-24-17

THIS SALE IS CLOSED TO ADDITIONAL ORDERS, THANK YOU

Jo will finalize everyone's order, collect funds and we will get materials on order and start this run for you as soon as we are able. I expect them to ship in 6-8 months. They will ship in the order they were received. Thank you.

Please post only one time to this thread. Please do not make multiple posts or chat. This is my order list and it needs to stay simple and uncluttered or it isn't going to work.

I'm making this list because so many people have requested one, not because I want one. It is difficult for some folks to make it to a normal Friday sale and they're selling out very quickly, so this is to accommodate those folks.

I'm going to take full payment in advance and hold your money. While I think this is usually a bad policy, so I don't generally recommend it, I've been around a while, my shop is an incorporated business established in 2001, so I'm probably not going anywhere. I will ship your knife when it's finished. Once your order is confirmed there are no refunds, changes or cancellations. I will leave this preorder open for a while, once it has been open for a while or if it gets too big I'll close it. I'll then order 3V, sheaths, and start the process. That means you will pay for a knife that will not ship for probably 6-8 months. They will ship as they're finished in the order that they are ordered in.

When you place your order it will sit on the order thread for a day or more before we process it. In that time frame you can change your order. So, if you wake up and decide you want one instead of two, or you want micarta instead of TeroTuf you can edit your post. Once Jo contacts you (you need email or PM "turned on" or send contact info to her) and you finalize your order it is finalized. Please don't add changes after-the-fact because it is this sort of thing that has made lists unmanageable in the past and is the reason I don't normally keep lists.

Since these are being made custom to your order you can select from any of the standard scales or sheath options for this pattern.

All of the knives in this list are field grade, milled and tumbled, Delta 3V at HRC 60.5. They're all sharpened at 20 degrees per side.

Jo will contact you to determine your payment preference. Options are check, cash, MO and paypal. You will also need to confirm where you want it shipped. This will be done by Jo the Machinist private message or email.

This list will be for at least 30 knives. If it's going smooth I will extend it.

This is the information for this pattern from the last sale. You can place your order here as if you were ordering from that sale:

Today's sale is a "build your own" sale. You choose the configuration you want and I'll build it.

The Light Chopper was a collaboration with Lorien Arnold. It is an exercise in geometry, weight distribution and ergonomics to make a light weight well balanced chopper that hits well above its weight. It's a large woods knife, with a ~10" blade that weighs 17.1 oz that is somewhere between a machete and a camp knife. It's light enough to be carried on a long hike without weighing you down and it's engineered for performance when you go to use it. This is the knife Bill Flynn used when he won the last Fisk Micro Show Cutting Competition.

It's made of CPM 3V at HRC 60.5 with the newest heat treat for 3V that I believe is the finest heat treat for this material available anywhere. The performance is phenomenal with a combination of toughness, edge durability and edge retention that will blow your mind. A lot of R&D went into developing this heat treat, it is truly different and better.

With that in mind I gave it relatively thin cutting geometry designed for cutting performance. This is not some overbuilt pry bar, it cuts like a demon, but it is very durable, see 2nd video.

It's light enough and long enough to develop tip speed to cut thinner vegetation that heavy choppers struggle with. But when you put it to work in the big stuff you'll find that it hits hard and bites deep and it won't wear you out. The grip and aspects of the cutting geometry were designed in collaboration with Dan Keffeler.

The hand grip works great as a camp knife when held towards the front with good balance and dexterity. When held towards the back it fully fills the hand and offers control and reduced hand and forearm fatigue for extended hard work.

It has a forward lanyard hole (as used in competition cuts) and a hidden rear lanyard hole.

These are available in natural or black micarta. I normally buff the scales, but some people prefer the feel of the scale in matte because it has more grip and the fuzz works better with hand sweat. So it's up to you if you want your micarta scales buffed, just let me know. Unbuffed scales darken from hand oils pretty quickly.

These are also available in TeroTuf. This material is on the competition cutters that are winning championships. It isn't especially pretty or even as dimensionally stable as other synthetics, but nothing else offers a grip quite like it. If you're out there cutting for extended time and your hands are sweaty and slippery you'll appreciate the grip and feel. I have laminated it to black micarta with black Acraglas for dimensional stability.

Be aware, the unbuffed materials aren't about pretty. They will get a little funky looking before they break in but will even out with use.

Light Chopper Specs:
CPM 3V, 60.5 HRC, .188” thick at ricasso
This is the newest "Delta" HT protocol
Total length 15.625”
Blade length 9.875”
Edge is sharpened 20 DPS
Weight 17.1 oz
Grippy 3D machined scales in micarta or TeroTuf
Black oxide treated 18-8 stainless steel fasteners

$340 without sheath in micarta
$365 without sheath in TeroTuf
Sheath with dangler $80
Sheath with TekLok $65
Shipping is $10.

This is a big knife. If you're going to carry it on your belt you might prefer the dangler sheath. If you're putting it on or in your pack you might prefer the TekLok. Both configurations work both ways, but it's nice to have a choice.

1.jpg~original

2.jpg~original

3.jpg~original

4.jpg~original

5.jpg~original

6.jpg~original

7.jpg~original

8.jpg~original

9.jpg~original

10.jpg~original

11.jpg~original

13.jpg~original

14.jpg~original

15.jpg~original

1.jpg~original

2.jpg~original

3.jpg~original

Dan doing what Dan does, with an early prototype:

[video=youtube;TvUsh5FijcY]

Durability demo:

[video=youtube;yC2PLk_04vE]

^ This has an outstanding combination of cutting performance, toughness and edge retention.

These are "field grade" with tool and grind marks, milled and tumbled. The bevels are lightly hand ground and slightly convexed after being milled.

Last edited:
One in unbuffed natural micarta please. Dangler sheath. Thanks!

Last edited:
I'd like one please. Natural unbuffed micarta with dangler sheath

Last edited:
I will take one in Buffed Black Canvas- with no sheath

Last edited:
I’ll take one please. Buffed natural micarta + sheath with dangler.

I'm in for one with buffed black micarta, sheath and dangler. Thanks!

I’d like to pre-order one Light Chopper, UN-buffed black canvas micarta, with a Tek-Lok sheath

Last edited:
I'll take one please. Unbuffed natural with dangler. Thanks!

Last edited:
I'll take a buffed black micata with dangler sheath please.

Thanks Nathan!!!!

I'd like one light chopper in buffed black micarta and a dangler sheath. Thanks so much!

Last edited:
One in buffed black micarta with TekLok sheath, please. If you decide to do any in brown/tan micarta, I would prefer that. :)

One of the LCs from yesterday is heading my way, so I'll pull out of the pre-order. Thanks!

Last edited:
Back