CLOSED, The Not-A-Survival-Knife pre-order sale thread (Heavy Duty Field Knife), CLOSED

Nathan the Machinist

KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Closed

This preorder is now closed, thank you.

Jo will begin contacting people and finalize everyone's order.

Please post only one time to this thread.
Please do not make multiple posts or chat. This is my order list and it needs to stay simple and uncluttered or it isn't going to work.

I'm locking this to give folks a chance to read it before jumping into it. This will unlock at 8:00 EST

This is a picture of what it doesn't look like:

1.jpg~original

^ that is a prototype, it will have a few tweaks and a tumble finish and milled on the flats rather than raw.

The design and even the name on this knife are receiving some final tweaks.

I'm making this list because so many people have requested one, not because I want one. There have been a lot of requests for a pre-order now, and since the material is arriving soon and it is the next opening on the machines and the last pre-order is nearly complete I'm okay with starting a new pre-order even though this is a new pattern.

Here are the specs:

Delta 3V at HRC 60.5, .220" thick (half way between 3/16" and 1/4")
Total length 11.8"
Blade Length 6.5"
Weight 12.9 ounces
Edge angle 20 DPS
.020" edge before sharpening
Grippy 3D machined scales in micarta or TeroTuff
Black oxide treated 18-8 stainless steel fasteners
Hidden lanyard

Price is:
$330 in black or natural micarta
$345 in OD green Micarta on black micarta liner
$355 in black (gray) Terotuf (ugly material that works awesome) on black micarta liner
$365 in maroon Micarta on black micarta liner
$375 in edge grain antique micarta on black micarta liner (color varies, see note)

Price includes a good kydex sheath with TekLok. Change from TekLok to dangler add $15.

Shipping is $10

Note on the antique micarta: This is very old surplus that I bought up. I don't know who made it, though Westinghouse was the big name in the business back when this would have been made. It is quality material that machines well, polishes evenly and is more thoroughly resin impregnated and harder than material I can find available today. It is proven to be "good stuff". The material is natural color but has aged into a deep brown thoughout most of the thickness from oxygen, but there are some areas that are lighter in color, so it is streaky and multi color. It's actually a really cool look IMO. I will book match the pieces as I saw it up and make sure the two sides of the knife are a good match, but you get what you get. If you want light color, multi color or solid dark you can request it and if we have it I'll try to match up people's request with available scales, but understand this color is naturally occurring and varies and you get what you get, probably mostly solid dark brown.

Here is the order process:

I'm going to take full payment in advance and hold your money. While I think this is usually a bad policy, so I don't generally recommend it, I've been around a while, my shop is an incorporated business established in 2001, so I'm probably not going anywhere. I will ship your knife when it's finished. Once your order is confirmed there are no refunds, changes or cancellations. I will leave this preorder open for a while, once it has been open for a while or if it gets too big I'll close it. We'll start cutting chips on this project in about two weeks, they'll start to finish up in about three months. They will ship as they're finished in the order that they are ordered in. As I'm building them, half the knives made will go to this pre-order, the other half will be sold in regular sales. This means you will see knives being sold while you're waiting for your knife.

When you place your order it will sit on the order thread for a day or more before we process it. In that time frame you can change your order. So, if you wake up and decide you want one instead of two, or you want micarta instead of TeroTuf you can edit your post. Once Jo contacts you (you need email or PM "turned on" or send contact info to her) and you finalize your order it is finalized. Please don't add changes after-the-fact because it is this sort of thing that has made lists unmanageable in the past and is the reason I don't normally keep lists.

Jo will contact you to determine your payment preference. Options are check, cash, MO and paypal. You will also need to confirm where you want it shipped. This will be done by Jo the Machinist private message or email.

This list will be for at least 40 knives. If it's going smooth I will extend it.

Sorry for the hasty thread, we're adding a new machining center today and I'm in the shop moving stuff.

Last edited:
I'm in.

9/18 shipped

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for doing this, Nathan and Jo!

I'll take two please:
1. OD green Micarta (buffed) on black micarta liner with sheath with TekLok.
2. Edge grain antique micarta (bufffed) on black micarta liner (solid dark brown please) with sheath with TekLok.

Thank you,
C.

9/21 shipped

I'll take two in edge grain antique Micarta, dark brown please.

9/21 shipped

Edited because of the revisions by Nathan and the addition of the offered options, I would like to update my order to TWO please:

1- Maroon Micarta (with black liners) handles and dangler loop sheath.

2- Edgecut Antique Micarta in the darker brown colors (the darker the better with black liners) with a Tec-Loc sheath.

All handle scale materials in buffed finish please. Thank you, CS~

9/21 shipped

I'll take 1 in Terotuf with a dangler sheath please and 1 in natural black micarta with a dangler.

9/21 shipped

I'll take one please. In multi color edge grain antique micarta on black micarta liner with dangler sheath.

Thanks for the awesome opportunity,
Gus

9/26 shipped

I will take 1 with Terotuf

9/26 shipped

TeroTuf x 1. Thank you!

9/26 shipped

Ill take one in natural unbuffed micarta. With tek lok sheath

9/26
shipped

I'll take a natural micarta fluffer and an antique (the lighter the better)

ETA: one teklock, one dangler

10/25 shipped

I'll take two:

1) one in edgecut antique micarta with multi-color streaks on black micarta liner

2) one in edgecut antique dark brown micarta on black micarta liner

10/30 shipped

I'll take one in black unbuffed micarta

10/30 shipped

I would like 2 of them please.

1- $330 in (buffed) black micarta
1- $365 in (buffed) maroon micarta on black micarta liner

Each one with the good kydex sheath with TekLok

10/30 shipped

I will take 2 please
1 in Edge Grain Antique Micarta with Black Liners (Solid Dark)
1 in Maroon Micarta with Black Liners

Both Buffed
2 Regular Kydex sheaths with TekLok

10/30 shipped

I'll take one in Terotuf with Teklok sheath.

10/31 shipped

In for one. "Tero - Fluffer"

1 Terotuff please, I will also take extra unbuffed natural micarta scales if possible.

Thank you!

10/31 shipped

Back