Cloudland Canyon State Park

91bravo

Gold Member
MarriedTheMedic MarriedTheMedic

Here is Jeannie's post from the other forum. I'll share it here as well. Be sure to check out the video at the end. Enjoy!

After what feels like an eternity, @91bravo and I were able to head out to the woods for what ended up being an awesome weekend! Our destination was Cloudland Canyon State Park in North Georgia. We've never been there before, but from everything I'd read and heard about the place, it was definitely somewhere we wanted to visit. It was also the first road trip for Jonny's new Tacoma, and what a pleasant trip it was! :)

Our usual camping trips are pretty primitive, where we typically have to backpack in a few miles and then set up camp somewhere off-trail. This was a bit different for us because we had to reserve our site ahead of time, pay for parking, and then trek a very short hike (about 1/2 mile) to our site. We were pleasantly surprised at how private the backcountry sites were. There were 11 sites, I believe, spread across a 2-mile loop. Each site had a fire ring and picnic table, but other than that, everything else was primitive.

We arrived early yesterday morning with the plan to set up camp and then spend the day hiking. It was an absolutely perfect day for it -- sunny and 60 degrees! :)

czCEMkF.jpg

6QU6vjk.jpg

tWyUp9p.jpg

Once we arrived at our site, we began with gathering firewood and setting up the tent.

VzYcAdS.jpg

1gnAnZt.jpg

2LguSZb.jpg

VvVe8Do.jpg

gx3YlIJ.jpg

B2eIyk5.jpg

Not a bad start...

uolyXyM.jpg

Hangin' the Hammock...

wK5zjnJ.jpg

u7AcV2M.jpg

A little toast before we head out for some hiking...

5HMUnNa.jpg

Time to hit the trails!

LrckZKm.jpg

rYukGOI.jpg

Last edited:
We made a quick stop by the overlook to check out the amazing view!

aoH0iyn.jpg

80oD4BZ.jpg

E8CAUQ1.jpg

AqQCRhi.jpg

YhE2ULF.jpg

0vnlDhP.jpg

8YvSCdk.jpg

And then it was time to head down into the canyon! There are two waterfalls down this trail. Cherokee Falls is the first you come to, with a moderate hike. It was the trail with the heaviest foot traffic. The second falls, much further down into the canyon, is Hemlock Falls. This trail was much less traveled due to the fact that there are 600 steps coming back up from the falls once you make it to the bottom. I plotted this trail with my watch, and it showed about a 700 ft elevation gain. It's definitely not for the faint of heart!

bIgXTAH.jpg

ekklCfu.jpg

GYRL4eZ.jpg

vEHrMsW.jpg

JJdU0Jy.jpg

NTwnGDg.jpg

mJJLix6.jpg

N4Le6gd.jpg

6ZH9GSc.jpg

PIWKEqj.jpg

3AreKN0.jpg

1sxiCZ9.jpg

qJNZyV9.jpg

Once we got to Hemlock Falls, we decided to hike up the side of the mountain to see how close we could get to the top of the falls. It was an ass-kicking climb, but it was so worth it! :)

7Pp1EIN.jpg

2909Ti0.jpg

T0qNt9r.jpg

puwwXDE.jpg

PmCYgJF.jpg

q98YANx.jpg

Taking a break after the trek back down. This was the first hike in Jonny's new Asolos. My Vasque are still going strong!

xUoUp89.jpg

Those steps going back up are no joke!

WKKGFME.jpg

g6KbW96.jpg

07GQ80a.jpg

00muXTF.jpg

hQSW9Qi.jpg

wzWyXtK.jpg

Along the way, we were entertained by some messages adorning the handrails...

lgGypXW.jpg

7u9NsWd.jpg

:D

Looking back down around the halfway point...

zOMD7Jx.jpg

One last look at that beautiful view on our way out.

rvrHfpL.jpg

Back at camp, we prepped some more wood and got the fire ready to light.

okcWyxD.jpg

lhy80dl.jpg

QLAWiAe.jpg

fkmqK9Z.jpg

g805TWr.jpg

aXcONrq.jpg

JVDSLa6.jpg

Sun was setting and the temps were cooling off, so it was time to get the fire going.

XDxNqiP.jpg

CVIKJTk.jpg

CZYIAcn.jpg

3Ek7aBP.jpg

mTPzDzg.jpg

JThgEs9.jpg

Dinner was quick and easy -- Beans on the Emberlit and Sausage Dogs over the fire!

WC7cDze.jpg

SVeiYHK.jpg

Vwdt25z.jpg

vNcVjCU.jpg

I was fiddling around with my camera and learned something new. The sky was gorgeous...so clear and starry. This photo doesn't do it justice, but it gives you a bit of an idea...

4FPmttP.jpg

After dinner, we just chilled around the awesome fire we had going and enjoyed the tranquility that comes with being outdoors.

ysUwA1c.jpg

Here are the always-expected obligatory knife photos...

oU8dkMe.jpg

fKGk3AK.jpg

GACEKTT.jpg

4tsh55W.jpg

jRxHNWx.jpg

cKcDiX6.jpg

DFxhVbv.jpg

tY2dNLy.jpg

1v9jScm.jpg

npECXER.jpg

WzjPhRH.jpg

We skipped our morning coffee and packed up pretty early. There was a small chance of rain today, and when we saw a few sprinkles, we decided it was time to head back home. It was an awesome trip, and a much-needed break away from the stress we've been under lately.

This trip, I did something a little different and put together a short "movie" which includes some video clips from our trip.

Thanks for looking, and I hope you enjoyed tagging along with us. :)

From Jeannie and Jonny, we hope your weekend was as awesome as ours!

4aos6xD.jpg

Here are the always-expected obligatory knife photos...

oU8dkMe.jpg

fKGk3AK.jpg

GACEKTT.jpg

4tsh55W.jpg

jRxHNWx.jpg

cKcDiX6.jpg

DFxhVbv.jpg

tY2dNLy.jpg

1v9jScm.jpg

npECXER.jpg

WzjPhRH.jpg

We skipped our morning coffee and packed up pretty early. There was a small chance of rain today, and when we saw a few sprinkles, we decided it was time to head back home. It was an awesome trip, and a much-needed break away from the stress we've been under lately.

This trip, I did something a little different and put together a short "movie" which includes some video clips from our trip.

Thanks for looking, and I hope you enjoyed tagging along with us. :)

From Jeannie and Jonny, we hope your weekend was as awesome as ours!

4aos6xD.jpg

excellent choices on the knives IMHO :thumbsup:

Back