Photos Coarse edges!

Fog, did you sharpen edge trailing? DM
Yes i did.
The cook that came in to releive me was happy to use the 1st ever sharp knife in the kitchen(other than my personal knife) and commented on how nice it was.
I'll never understand why people who use knives daily don't use a sharp one.

I thought as much. When I use sandpaper I cannot use a edge leading stroke. Unless it is a belt from one of my machines.
As I end up slicing into the paper. Plus, a belt really lasts. Many who work at a commercial deli., restaurant, meat market, ect..
Don't know how to sharpen a knife. I hear your same statement over and over. DM

Last edited:
On a belt grinder I always use leading on paper trailing.

Well it's been a few days since I sharpened and used my personal knife at 80 grit. No more will it be sharpened at 300 plus.
The 80 grit edge has worked well on all tasks and has not needed any touch ups.

600 grit
8kIxIZP.jpg

Sharpened that last 1/16" of unsharpened edge near the plunge grind
IEmnjSO.jpg

Very carefully! I just slowly and meticulously used the edge of the DMT stone to catch that last bit of unsharpened edge. It's time-consuming, but can be done. I've done it to all of my knives that have section of unsharpened edge.

Thanks! Your patience is more than mine... ;)

Very carefully! I just slowly and meticulously used the edge of the DMT stone to catch that last bit of unsharpened edge. It's time-consuming, but can be done. I've done it to all of my knives that have section of unsharpened edge.
That's the way to do it. You don't need a sharpening notch. That just creates something to hang in when cutting. DM

Silicon carbide medium stone edge is excellent,then i touch it up on brown stpnes on sharpmaker when i need.Toothy edge that whittles hair too.The most I polish is white sharpmaker stone.Norton medium stropped on back of palm gives extremely sharp toothy edge that cuts meat and soft materials like crazy.

You guys have inspired me to pull out my old Norton Medium Crystolon bench stone and a pint of Norton Sharpening Oil which I've had tucked away for I don't know how many years.

Back