Photos Coarse edges!

OLdguY, I took it that he strops the blade on the back of his hand. A few passes. Don't know what that does. I think stropping it on my pants leg or the top of my boot, would help remove the burr. Interesting. DM

Yeah,i strop on my palm and it cleans up the edge after norton stone.Whittles the hair after that ,was using loaded strop before but not anymore.You can strop on your belt too.Ive seen Jerry Fisk doing it too in couple of his sharpening videos.It does make a difference,at least in my case.I like minimalist approach to sharpening and it gives me results I want.Do not have need for many stones or to mirror edge it.

When Im lazy to sharpen or to touch it up,few swipes on sharpmaker brown rods on corners is enough to get it really sharp again.

Yeah,i strop on my palm and it cleans up the edge after norton stone.
Thanks.
I've stropped on the palm of my hand and also my arm - like it was a barber strop, but not fast. But what threw me, was that you said you stropped on the "BACK of your palm" and being old, I got confused when I read that. I see now that it was just a mistake. And I agree, when I do that, I get good results also.

David Martin sent me a message asking what grits people would consider coarse (he was considerate not to derail the thread).

I don't have the answer but would say that #120~400 (100~40 micron) are coarse grits.
What do you guys think?

I'm finding stones with coarse in there name from 80 grit all the way up to 325 grit. So, this wide range caused me to wonder. It seems it's not well defined. DM

I'm not sure whether 400 should still be considered coarse or not...perhaps 320 or so as the high end?

(Though I wouldn't argue too much if 400 came to be accepted as the ceiling for that general rating.)

I'd say 60-320. Only including 320 as so many diamond stone makers list that as their "coarse", whereas vitreous stones are usually 120 at the "coarse" level.

I know what your ^ saying. The diamond might be the exception. Or the upper end of what's generally accepted as 'coarse'. A coarse grit I normally think I could reprofile with it. Which I would not with the 320 grit diamond. Even Norton labels their SiC stone at 280 grit as fine.
Is that fine for that type material? Or getting into the finer area? Then w/ the India stone a 320 grit is labeled as fine.? Most sandpaper at 220 grit is labeled as fine. And on wood it does leave a fine finish. I'm not trying to poke
holes. I'm trying to get a Good idea of what a coarse grit really is, at least with grinding metal. DM

I know what your ^ saying. The diamond might be the exception. Or the upper end of what's generally accepted as 'coarse'. A coarse grit I normally think I could reprofile with it. Which I would not with the 320 grit diamond. Even Norton labels their SiC stone at 280 grit as fine.

Good points. Yet Jim Ankerson said the following in his article about the Spyderco Military in S110V:

First, I reprofiled the edge to 15 Degrees per side using an Edge Pro Apex and 320 grit Mold Master Silicon Carbide stone and finished with a Silicon Carbide Mold Master 400 grit (40 Micron) stone. The edge was extremely sharp and would whittle hair before testing. It was very aggressive and had a lot of bite.

Obviously, a very subjective topic.

I don't doubt that could be done coming off a 400 grit SiC stone. As they feel pretty fine. I have one that is in the 4-500 grit range and it
gives a good edge. I'll have to explore more of it's abilities. Thanks, DM

I'd call ANSI 90 grit and below extra/ultra-coarse, 100-180 coarse 220-320 medium, 360-500 fine, and 600 and above extra/ultra-fine.

I can see that ^ . Then Spyderco calls their 600 grit a medium. Maybe medium for a ceramic. DMT classes their 600 grit as fine. Wonder if
these 2 scratch patterns are close? DM

Maybe <#320 as the coarse side of the spectrum?

When we consider stones from #60 to #3,000, ones below #400 are definitely at the coarse end of the spectrum.

Maybe <#320 as the coarse side of the spectrum?

When we consider stones from #60 to #3,000, ones below #400 are definitely at the coarse end of the spectrum.
You're presuming a linear relationship, when we find that it's more like a cubic relationship.

I can see that ^ . Then Spyderco calls their 600 grit a medium. Maybe medium for a ceramic. DMT classes their 600 grit as fine. Wonder if
these 2 scratch patterns are close? DM

Note that I said ANSI grit. ANSI grit rating only goes up to 1200, which is a 4.5µ grain size, which would be roughly equivalent to a J3000. ANSI 600 grit is 14µ, or roughly J1100.

If I called anything from 141-60 u a coarse grit, would there be much objection? That's from a 100 grit Norton to a 220 grit x coarse diamond. Anything higher u would be a extra coarse.? DM

Last edited:
Back