Photos Coarse edges!

I have that diamond stone as well and the edge coming off it is very coarse / aggressive. Only the diamond are like that. A 220 or 240 grit
SiC is not so coarse. And Norton labels it a medium. Again, only the diamond is designated different. But extra coarse, humm. DM

I have that diamond stone as well and the edge coming off it is very coarse / aggressive. Only the diamond are like that. A 220 or 240 grit
SiC is not so coarse. And Norton labels it a medium. Again, only the diamond is designated different. But extra coarse, humm. DM

That's because of the grit protrusion. Since diamond plates have the diamond coating the surface, they stick up higher than the same grit in a vitrified or organic bond, and so cut more aggressively.

It's not perfect but I love the way this came out. Sharpened up to 280 grit on the lanksy stones.

bnpBHgy.jpg

13JYKbr.jpg

Here's the edge under a microscope!

GCujNBA.jpg

Bonus pictures, because microscope.

ClnPC7m.jpg

RcIXfgO.jpg

sCqzKsi.jpg

UpeNjd0.jpg

Cheers.

I tried #120 silicon carbide sandpaper.

Edge120.JPG

Edge at #240 (silicon carbide stone).
Edge240.JPG

The edge by #120 sandpaper was little too rough for my taste.
I will try #180 later.

What's really fun is setting a super coarse scratch pattern then chasing it with an ultra-fine just to crisp it up. :p

I don't know.
But the primary bevel was supposed to be done at #220, and from the scratch pattern, I guess it is somewhere around #240.

That's a very nice job. I'm thinking the only 150 grit stone I have is the coarse side of my IB8, India. What was the grit type you used? Thanks, DM

N690 sharpened at #150 Venev diamond stone and stropped lightly on leather with aluminum oxide 3 micron.
Magnified at 30x.
There may still be some burrs left.
It should have been refined a bit more I guess.
But it cuts very well.

IMG_1149.JPG

and so cut more aggressively.
I cracked my mac knife while attempting to cut open a particularly hard squash that The Chef brought home. :( The red tie thing points to the crack. (yes I hand polished the sides of the knife with a progression of wet or dry paper).

So soon after that event I gave The Chef an
aggressive cutting folder for Christmas for those tough kitchen cutting chores ( the Fiskers at bottom of photo).
She thought the gift sucked so bad she started crying.
Which
of course
made me ROFLMAO :p . . . which just made it all the worse. God that was funny.
Apparently The Chef isn't an aggressive edge sort of girl. (woman). :rolleyes:

IMG_3278.jpg

I cracked my mac knife while attempting to cut open a particularly hard squash that The Chef brought home. :( The red tie thing points to the crack. (yes I hand polished the sides of the knife with a progression of wet or dry paper).

So soon after that event I gave The Chef an
aggressive cutting folder for Christmas for those tough kitchen cutting chores ( the Fiskers at bottom of photo).
She thought the gift sucked so bad she started crying.
Which
of course
made me ROFLMAO :p . . . which just made it all the worse. God that was funny.
Apparently The Chef isn't an aggressive edge sort of girl. (woman). :rolleyes:

View attachment 934830

Some of those squash are NO JOKE.

My global chef knife cuts through them like a champ—and some of these squash are gigantic!

507E8C4D-7C0E-4934-9A92-BBAFD7A87152.jpeg When at work I keep a Metabo cut off wheel, that is too small for the grinder, in my pouch for quick touch ups.

Not sure of the grit but it leaves a fairly course finish.
Most times a few swipes will bring the edge back nicely.

Back