Coating my m4

Hey guys,

new to the forum. I got manix m4. Can someone please recommend a service to coat the blade black or ceracote?

m4 just rust way to easily. Not practical.

any suggestion welcome.

Probably easier and just as effective to apply a rust preventive from time to time -- TUF Cloth or something similar. I've noted my Gayle Bradley 2 in CPM-M4 is starting to take on a patina after a couple of weeks of use, but that's fine with me; doesn't affect its function and it's not rust. I see Spyderco is also offering a black version of the Manix M4.

Another vote for patina instead of a coating.

Every coated blade I've owned cut significan'y better after removing the coating.

patina is excellent for a cpm-m4 blade, imho...

or you could just wipe it after use and ensure it's dry, or just use a tiny bit of mineral oil

You can use ferric chloride to put a very stiff patina on it that more resembles a coating. This isn't really reversible without significant material removal, though. Top is 52100, bottom is S35VN. 20201015_131541~2_resize_42.jpg
I'm usually a proponent of a nice patina instead of this, though. Here's some M4 that was wrapped in a rag soaked in vinegar and mustard 20200924_151231~2_resize_76.jpg

I decide to use zinc primer spray for the bits you can’t see. To protect from water spotting rust.

for the blade I’ll just coat it with Vaseline.

Back