Coating ?s For OKB

Xr6x

Basic Member
Just curious if KA-BAR has any plans to drop the TRACTION COATING and just use the smooth .What was the purpose of using such a rough finish ? Thanks in advance. Apologies for just now wondering :rolleyes:
IMG_4988.JPG

All you actually care about is how hard is it to strip:p
Hey Tanker good seeing you back :thumbsup::thumbsup: They both strip easy :p:p you know that :thumbsup: I just can't figure out why ever a ROUGH Coating o_O The new smooth coating is very tough compared to the old smooth coating that was on the first KA-BAR BECKERS I think that was just black paint .

Hey Tanker good seeing you back :thumbsup::thumbsup: They both strip easy :p:p you know that :thumbsup: I just can't figure out why ever a ROUGH Coating o_O The new smooth coating is very tough compared to the old smooth coating that was on the first KA-BAR BECKERS I think that was just black paint .
Thanks Xr. Yeah this new smooth coating is noticeably harder to wear and or strip off. I've also noticed that pieces of lumber like to stick to it.

I field dressed my first deer with my KA-BAR. The reproduction ww2 one from the 90’s that had the rough Matt finish. It came in the white box with the blue print drawings on it.

when I was done I had fat congealing on the blade in clumps. It’s was annoying because it would not wipe off, and I did not want to put it in the sheath like that but didn’t have a safe alternative.

since then I have been keenly aware of and have avoided blade coatings when I could.

I field dressed my first deer with my KA-BAR. The reproduction ww2 one from the 90’s that had the rough Matt finish. It came in the white box with the blue print drawings on it.

when I was done I had fat congealing on the blade in clumps. It’s was annoying because it would not wipe off, and I did not want to put it in the sheath like that but didn’t have a safe alternative.

since then I have been keenly aware of and have avoided blade coatings when I could.
Exact same situation eveled. I switched to useing kydex for that very reason. at least I can wash the sheath later. But I do prefer leather and that ruff coating is like velcro

This is a good question. We mass produce knives and as such have to make them to the lowest common denominator - mainly folks that don't care for their knives. We have to build our products assuming some will leave them outside in the rain, use them without cleaning and stash away for years, dig holes (looking at you, Marine Corps), etc. Putting this coating on serves as a first line of defense against neglect and misuse. We are a bit insulated here as most on this forum take great care of their products; however, in our experience most people do not demonstrate the same level of care. Our State & Union shop, which does one off knives, sells most of their knives without any coating. This is because the folk buying these products (and spending that type of money on the products) protect their investment. As for the coating itself, we are always looking at improvements. We have had many versions of coatings with varying levels of success. The current coating so far has proven to be the toughest, but certainly has its limits (mostly in aesthetics). It is hard to say how long this current generation of coatings will be used.

This is a good question. We mass produce knives and as such have to make them to the lowest common denominator - mainly folks that don't care for their knives. We have to build our products assuming some will leave them outside in the rain, use them without cleaning and stash away for years, dig holes (looking at you, Marine Corps), etc. Putting this coating on serves as a first line of defense against neglect and misuse. We are a bit insulated here as most on this forum take great care of their products; however, in our experience most people do not demonstrate the same level of care. Our State & Union shop, which does one off knives, sells most of their knives without any coating. This is because the folk buying these products (and spending that type of money on the products) protect their investment. As for the coating itself, we are always looking at improvements. We have had many versions of coatings with varying levels of success. The current coating so far has proven to be the toughest, but certainly has its limits (mostly in aesthetics). It is hard to say how long this current generation of coatings will be used.
The current smooth coating is just fine I've left it on a few blades, It seems plenty tough and it doesn't collect crap or hamper cutting as much as the Rough :poop:. I prefer taking the coating off most of my Knives regardless, BUT :D ! I gave a family member a BK16 is why I bought this up. He asked me why the Rough Paint ? Its a Knife :p. I just said I don't know o_O I still don't Know :p:p

I don’t know much about all this coating stuff but i do know I want a Zomstro now. :):):)

Imagine a Becker or Dogs Head with dlc treatment!

I agree no complaints with the current coating. The one I had trouble with was the phosphate (I think) coating on the ww2 tribute knife.

Back