Cobratec OTF Knives?

GronK

Gold Member
If they're hitting the gunshows that makes sense, I keep seeing this topic come up on gun boards too. I don't know why people bother going to gun and knife shows. It's been 12 years since I went to one but it still sounds like the same old shit. The good stuff is overpriced as hell compared to online and there is a ton of overpriced junk, clones, con artists, and people trying to blow smoke up your ass.
Yep. Used to get some good deals and met some okay folks back in the day but the last several years I've just gone out of habit. Even stopped that now and don't miss them at all. Seems most are snake oil salesmen, with fake OTF's, "genuine" damascus hand forged in Arkansas for $40, etc., and the gunners with their "get 'em while you still can" spiels. Sad.

Damn,I’m glad I found this..I was considering ordering one from their website..the website claims they are made in Texas with D2 steel blades...y’all just saved me $120,I just ordered a Lightning OTF for under $40..it will be my first OTF,sounds like a pretty decent budget OTF.Ive read a lot of reviews of people claiming they have been using Lightning OTFs everyday for the past 3 or 4 years and claim they are still going strong..I want a Microtech or a Benchmade but it’s hard for me to spend that much on a knife..wish I could find something for $150-$200

evilgreg

Why so serious?
Gold Member
Damn,I’m glad I found this..I was considering ordering one from their website..the website claims they are made in Texas with D2 steel blades...y’all just saved me $120,I just ordered a Lightning OTF for under $40..it will be my first OTF,sounds like a pretty decent budget OTF.Ive read a lot of reviews of people claiming they have been using Lightning OTFs everyday for the past 3 or 4 years and claim they are still going strong..I want a Microtech or a Benchmade but it’s hard for me to spend that much on a knife..wish I could find something for $150-$200

I've got one of those Lightning type (there are scads of them, some with Lightning on them, some not) that I paid $12 on dhgate, and I beat on it a bit for the fun of it and it held up very well. I was stabbing logs and prying and generally abusing it, hoping it would fall apart and show some huge difference between a $12 OTF and a $300 one, but I still have it and it works the same now as when I got it. I don't even think it has any more play than it started with. I figured the little spring loaded lock bar would deform, but it held up to rough use just fine.

There are also some high quality Chinese OTFs out there, the Vespa Ripper and Darkstar are probably the nicest aluminum OTFs I've owned, of course they're >$100, not $12, though still much cheaper than the Microtechs and Benchmades I've owned.

Dogdrawz

Gold Member
OTF rules I live by:
  1. Treat an OTF purchase as you would a firearm. The cheap option has a greater chance of blowing up in your face.
  2. If I'd go CCC, probably the Vespa since they have vids of the guts online. Looks quality enough.
  3. With the above being said: I can never ever...ever buy one. I like my wife too much. After so many click-clack-click-clack-click, there would eventually be a 2x4 upside my head.

evilgreg

Why so serious?
Gold Member
OTF rules I live by:

3. With the above being said: I can never ever...ever buy one. I like my wife too much. After so many click-clack-click-clack-click, there would eventually be a 2x4 upside my head.

Just buy one when she's out of town. The novelty of the click-clack-click-clack wears off after a couple of days and then it just turns into a knife, not a toy (unless you're the type that carries a fidget spinner--in that case staying away from OTFs is probably the best option). I find flippers much worse for wanting to play with them, the open close cycle involves more hand motion and there are often multiple options, I can flick my little Olamic Busker open three different ways.

evilgreg

Why so serious?
Gold Member
Cheap Chinese Crap

OP, you get what you pay for. You'd be better off buying a used Microtech than buying a new POS OTF. Buy quality once instead of crap 4 or 5 times. In the end you end up paying the same.

The best made aluminum handled OTF I've bought, by far, is a ~$100 Vespa Ripper, and I've bought from all of the popular US production OTF makers.

I'm fine with not buying from China on moral grounds, but I guarantee you this knife is not crap (unlike this photo, which is--not sure what happened to the white balance on this one):

SrkZwlZ.jpg

The best made aluminum handled OTF I've bought, by far, is a ~$100 Vespa Ripper, and I've bought from all of the popular US production OTF makers.

I'm fine with not buying from China on moral grounds, but I guarantee you this knife is not crap (unlike this photo, which is--not sure what happened to the white balance on this one):

SrkZwlZ.jpg
Thanks for sharing,I may pick up a Vespa Ripper myself...I plan on getting a Microtech Ultratech early next year because I can’t afford to spend $300 on a knife with both Thanksgiving and Christmas right around the corner...I really wish there were more options in the OTF world for around the $100-$200 mark.I think Microtech should offer the Ultratech in a wider range of steel options.I would gladly buy a Ultratech in 420 stainless,AUS8,etc for $200...oh well,when I finally do break down and buy an Ultratech I will be glad to have it in higher quality steel..it will be my first knife in Elmax

I'm sure it's a fine knife. Guy asked what CCC meant. I was giving him the common meaning.

Not all knives produced in China are crap and just because something is USA made doesn't instantly mean it's quality.

Curious if Vespa has any kind of warranty? If not, I still stand by my reasoning. If you buy a couple Vespa's for $100 a pop and they have no warranty. When they break, you wasted hundreds on junk.

Price of a knife isn't just the materials that goes into it. Shop costs, employees, warranty, etc.

OP it's your gamble. Buy a cheap OTF and hope that it will never need a warranty or just pay a premium once. It's your money after all. Just giving my opinion and experience.

I bought one of the D2 steel ones for $65.00 and I am very pleased with it. I have nearly 200 knives ranging in price from very cheap to over $700.00. This Cobratec seems to be solid and reliable and takes a wicked edge and holds it well. My favorite blade steel is D2, because it inexpensive and makes an excellent blade, and the blade of this Cobratec feels to me like genuine D2. My advice is to give one of these knives a try if you can find them for under $100. You might be pleasantly surprised.

000Robert

Gold Member
Their website says that the blades are D2 and they have a "no hassle" lifetime warranty. They also have other styles of knives and offer Cerakote for a little more money.

Dallas T

Gold Member
They’re really not that bad, we have a lightning as well and have handled some cobra tec and ravencrest otf’s they’re all about the same and decent but maybe over priced. But if ya want one who cares get one it’ll hold up for normal stuff. My son loves and carries his lightning every where

K.O.D.

Sanity Not Included
Platinum Member
For my money, I'd rather buy a made in the USA quality OTF. This was an older thread, but for my money I'd go with Hogue, Microtech, Guardian Tactical, Heretic, Brian Tighe and friends, etc.

MSRP for a quality OTF is generally over $200, retail very dependant on numerous factors. I was able to snag a Hogue Exploit for $191 last fall. My Twist Tighe was $290, and my incoming Heretic Manticore E was $280.

I'd avoid Benchmade, waaaaaayyyy overpriced and I don't like the company.

000Robert

Gold Member
For my money, I'd rather buy a made in the USA quality OTF. This was an older thread, but for my money I'd go with Hogue, Microtech, Guardian Tactical, Heretic, Brian Tighe and friends, etc.

MSRP for a quality OTF is generally over $200, retail very dependant on numerous factors. I was able to snag a Hogue Exploit for $191 last fall. My Twist Tighe was $290, and my incoming Heretic Manticore E was $280.

I'd avoid Benchmade, waaaaaayyyy overpriced and I don't like the company.

If their steel is made in China then I sure don't want any. I noticed at the top of their webpage it says, " Assembled to order in Wax., Tx." I would rather pay twice the money for USA made and heat-treated steel.

Hey guys. im new here. saw this post by google searching. So Im a Chinese American. I was about to buy a nice otf from Ravencrest worth $250. then I saw a lots of post even on youtube said they are scam and selling chinese clone. I was like DAMN.
So. I start to searching this in china, it really really hard to find b/c most of knives is illegal in china(except cook knives). and I cant find the knife i want. but find some similar stuff. and guess what, there is no way i can get it from china to US b/c you cant put in you luggage, you cant ship, you cant carry it to travel what so ever. and yet I already bought it and have it ship to my mom. so i think my mom will keep it until i find some illegal way to smug it out. it a freaking hassle.
second, yes, chinese make clone maybe not as good as big made in USA brand but they have reputed industry underground have solid stuff. and they are very professional, very good engineering, display all the Technical specifications like different steel, hardness, craft, etc even more detail than the US websit. and they run all the test. imo it all supper solid and cheap. so I dnt agree everytime ppl talk about chinese stuff they refer it as junk. im not endors counterfeit but i have to say a lot conterfeit also good sht.
so long story short. I dnt want to spend $300 to buy something only worth like $20 in China (yes, I just bought similar one with D2 steel in china this price but now looks as good as the $300 one).but when everyone talking about this, no one provide any link waht so ever. now its a dilemma b/c even i found it eventurlly i still cant get this to US.

I think they were taking them apart and putting them back together to claim they are built in the US. They’re sleezebags. RavenCrest Tactical is the one I know of that’s shady. RavenCrest is no longer around, and it wouldn’t be a large leap to assume that they became Cobratec to escape their bad reputation.

That's the guy that says he replaces the springs with better ones I bet.

Hey guys. im new here. saw this post by google searching. So Im a Chinese American. I was about to buy a nice otf from Ravencrest worth $250. then I saw a lots of post even on youtube said they are scam and selling chinese clone. I was like DAMN.
So. I start to searching this in china, it really really hard to find b/c most of knives is illegal in china(except cook knives). and I cant find the knife i want. but find some similar stuff. and guess what, there is no way i can get it from china to US b/c you cant put in you luggage, you cant ship, you cant carry it to travel what so ever. and yet I already bought it and have it ship to my mom. so i think my mom will keep it until i find some illegal way to smug it out. it a freaking hassle.
second, yes, chinese make clone maybe not as good as big made in USA brand but they have reputed industry underground have solid stuff. and they are very professional, very good engineering, display all the Technical specifications like different steel, hardness, craft, etc even more detail than the US websit. and they run all the test. imo it all supper solid and cheap. so I dnt agree everytime ppl talk about chinese stuff they refer it as junk. im not endors counterfeit but i have to say a lot conterfeit also good sht.
so long story short. I dnt want to spend $300 to buy something only worth like $20 in China (yes, I just bought similar one with D2 steel in china this price but now looks as good as the $300 one).but when everyone talking about this, no one provide any link waht so ever. now its a dilemma b/c even i found it eventurlly i still cant get this to US.

FOWkqCc.jpg

000Robert

Gold Member
That's the guy that says he replaces the springs with better ones I bet.

If you are referring to me, I only replaced the lock springs in one Chinese OTF knife. Plus, I bought the knife before I learned about the evil actions of the Chinese Communist government concerning the Coronavirus. And the knife was only $50, not over $150 like the CobraTec knife that I liked.