Coffee talk: GEC Should buy Queen

Good morning BF! I’d like to start a conversation about an idea. With Queen still currently closed and no indication of reopening, should GEC buy Queen Cutlery? Bill Howard could retake the company and hire back all the staff that have been laid off. The new Queen Cutlery could use the same formula that GEC finds success in, producing pattern runs, as well as producing them slowly to keep fit and finish up. This would be great for collectors as we would have a GEC pattern release and a Queen release. Queen could have it’s two lines, Queen or Queen City like the Tidioute brand, and Shatt and Morgan like the Northfield Branding. I know I would surly like some new patterns of Queen knives, let me know what you think.
Leo

Yes, GEC and Queen would have to produce different patterns. GEC would do a run of say 71’s and Queen would do a run of 69’s and so forth.

I would not suggest either the old management or cutlers returning. They were the reason the company failed. From all accounts they were the reason GEC was started by ex-queen staff. If anything GEC could buy their machinery which was apparently able to deal with more modern steels.

I would like to see the Queen name revived and represent quality once again. They certainly ran that name into the ground with their later produced knives. But from what I understand, they were a quality knife builder at one time. With all that being said, I wouldn't want GEC to do it, they have enough business right now and they are doing it well.

Worst idea ever.....Ontario unloaded Queen for a reason!
Lack luster sales, loss of skilled cutlers in the industry, competition and you’d like to GEC take on the burden.....pass

A lot of good points! I would really like Queen to be revived but maybe there will be a new company to rise and compete with GEC.

The Bankruptcy Court will liquidate the remaining assets, that would be the time to buy any machinery. It would be a gamble to buy the trade name.

It would be a gamble to buy the trade name.
I guarantee you someone will buy that brand name, and will produce knives using that name. WHERE they produce the knives, and at what build quality, is something to be determined. But look to Camillus and Schrade for possible clues.

Thanks a great idea! Queen could do D2 and CPM 154 or S30v

Wasn’t this another part of Queen’s issue though? I thought their equipment was taking a hit because of the harder steels they were running, which showed in their products (like the thick grinds and such).

This is why GEC won’t go beyond 1095, they know the toll it will take on the old machinery they use.

Translation : "And the marmot, she puts the chocolate in the aluminium foil..."
Little_Nemo_1906-02-11_last_panel.jpg

Worst idea ever.....Ontario unloaded Queen for a reason!
Lack luster sales, loss of skilled cutlers in the industry, competition and you’d like to GEC take on the burden.....pass

Yup.

Queen lost their reputation for quality, if GEC bought them they would still have to overcome that.
Bringing in the old machinary and workers would not help in fixing that reputation.
It might be a good idea for GEC to pick up some of the Queen patterns.

Back