Coffee

I decided not to buy (the deathwish, I was intrigued by the description of how they flavored the coffee, I usualy stay away from flavored coffees because they always just seem fragranced and the flavor never makes it onto the palate but I'm curious how the real spices worked out) in lieu of buying a roaster and some green beans, one day.. lol

I did drink a Mexican Coke the other day however and it wasn't as good as the U.S. one or other sodas I've had with the cane sugars (throwback dew etc), to give it the benefit of the doubt though I did buy from a bodega so it might have been there for a long time, it was still carbonated though.. just tasted kind of bland in comparison and I never got that cane sugar taste, so I will try it again next time I see it hopefully from a store that would have higher turnover rate for that kind of thing

Today drinking that Yirgacheffe (yerga-cheffay according to my Ethiopian bro)I had the other day from a roaster I don't usually frequent around here since they're not (or weren't) that great although after this bag I'm curious to see if it's a fluke), it's pretty delicious.

description from their site: https://www.glenedithcoffee.com/col...iopia-yirgacheffe-natural?variant=37307213900

Whoa guys, slow down! By far one of our most popular beans. And for good reason:

Our Ethiopia is a naturally processed coffee.

When the farmers process this coffee, the coffee cherry sundries on the bean. The result? Sweet, sweet fruit flavor mind-melding into the bean.

And boy do you taste the fruitiness! You'll SMELL it when you grind it too. Blueberries, yogurt, and the sweet taste of Fruity Pebbles™.

For Fans Of: Blueberries, Happiness, Sunshine

And they're right realy fruity but not in the typical jammy way maybe one of the most fragrant beans I've ever ground

Last edited:
Don't worry Joe....you aren't missing much. I was not racing back to the Aeropress for a second cup of pumpkin Deathwish. It was good, but not something I will buy again. Sorry guys, I am still not into flavored coffee.

Don't worry Joe....you aren't missing much. I was not racing back to the Aeropress for a second cup of pumpkin Deathwish. It was good, but not something I will buy again. Sorry guys, I am still not into flavored coffee.

Well I am shocked!!! I figured you would love it! All well. To each his own.

I tried mixing 1/2 pumpkin and 1/2 Major Dickason's it is much better. Today I mixed it with Kaldis Cafe Malta and now I have chocolate pumpkin!

I tried mixing 1/2 pumpkin and 1/2 Major Dickason's it is much better. Today I mixed it with Kaldis Cafe Malta and now I have chocolate pumpkin!

I remember long ago drinking a chocolate pumpkin beer I didn't usually flavored beers but that one was alright, it was like a porter/stout with unsweetened chocolate flavor not much pumpkin but what was there was more of a fresh squashy taste than artificial flavored

I think I will finish off the open bag and be done with it. I have another 12 oz. bag of pumpkin to deal with!! Anyone up for a post Christmas in July/ pre Christmas exchange? :D I bet you can guess what you will get in the box!!!

Just roasted some more of this Colombian tonight after using up the last of the fresh coffee I had on hand. Decided to go a little bit darker with this batch.

It's only recently that I started drinking coffee and I haven't gotten to the point where I drink it black yet, though I have cut out the sugar and now go with a bit of vanilla creamer in it. I'm also just an off-the-shelf guy for now.

Wondering how many folks drink it straight up? And, are all off-the-shelf coffees pretty much garbage in the coffee world? I'm interested to know what I could be missing out on, but don't want to spend ten bucks for a single cup (assuming I don't like what I buy).

I normally drink mine black most of the time. I wouldn't say that off the shelf coffees are garbage, but some brands are definitely better than others. Peet's and Caribou are good in my experience. Even Target's Archer Farms brand is good and has a lot of fair or direct trade options. If there are any local places to you that roast their own beans, that would be a good option also.

Coffee is at it's best within the first week or so after roasting. It slowly looses flavor to oxidation over time. The more surface area there is, the more it will happen. That's why whole beans stay fresh longer than ground coffee.

I consider Peet's off the shelf and I like it pretty well. Also Caribou is good. So no not all off the shelf coffees are bad.

Peet's Major Dickason's blend is my "go to" when I buy from the shelf. I am lucky - one local market stocks several local roasters on the shelf.
I suggest you buy a grinder. That makes all the difference in the world. 2nd - buy an Aeropress. 3rd- welcome to a whole new world of crazy!! :D
Stick around! We are always doing coffee/knife swaps!! It is an easy/fun way to try something different!

Last edited:
I currently use a Keurig.
Before you start flaming me, I use a cheater insert with gold mesh that I can put any grinds into.

Aside from higher water temp (Keurig is just shy of 195) is there a benefit of using a French press/Aeropress or a slow drip over the pressurized method of the Keurig, or can the same flavor be achieved by varying the amount of ground coffee that is used?
I see that the Aeropress considers pressure as a reason for its ability to provide a good cup.

Peet's Major Dickason's blend is my "go to" when I buy from the shelf. I am lucky - one local market stocks several local roasters on the shelf.

Good call, yeah if you have any small grocery stores some of them will carry local products

I currently use a Keurig.
Before you start flaming me, I use a cheater insert with gold mesh that I can put any grinds into.

Aside from higher water temp (Keurig is just shy of 195) is there a benefit of using a French press/Aeropress or a slow drip over the pressurized method of the Keurig, or can the same flavor be achieved by varying the amount of ground coffee that is used?
I see that the Aeropress considers pressure as a reason for its ability to provide a good cup.

I haven't had much chance to play around with Keurigs although a friend of mine had one and I've had coffee from them quite a bit , I can't tell if the beans they use are just bland or the ratio of beans to water is too low but it's been really weak in my experience, maybe with the insert that could be altered and if that works for you then no reason to change unless you want to make into another hobby or want better tasting coffee, I just recently a french press (Bodum) the other day (aeropress is similar to a french, although it filters much more of the grinds for a "cleaner" cup (less oils and grind residue will make it into your cup, I personally like it both ways depending on the origins and characters of the coffee notes), I think Aeropress and other brew systems works better because you have more control over brew times, grind size as you grind your own, etc. Also machines and the like can impart their own flavors to your coffee through the plastic/rubber/metals that come into contact with the coffee, also they're more difficult to clean mineral deposits out of.

My dripper is a Ninja coffee bar and it is great. I can adjust grind to water ratios and make espresso like drinks.
That being said.... I would take my Aeropress over it in a second!!

My dripper is a Ninja coffee bar and it is great. I can adjust grind to water ratios and make espresso like drinks.
That being said.... I would take my Aeropress over it in a second!!

I would too but whenever I buy a cup from my local roasters I almost always just get what they have on drip since in my opinion the result tastes almost as good as a pour over, costs less and quicker (although the aeropress is very fast too.. I think like a minute to brew or something, like a cross between coffee and espresso), but since I'm not at barista skill level and don't have such high end equipment/ I'd opt for pretty much any method over a player's drip system

Back