Coffee

I'm starting to get low now that I've used up the coffee from the exchange. Just ordered 5 lbs yesterday.

I went through the Christmas coffee pretty quickly! since then I've had a few bags I recently had a Great coffee from Chromatic called Unicorn Pony blend it was Ethiopian (Sidamo) wet process and dry process blended it was really good, currently drinking some decent Kenyan

71BDGZuGGBL._SX522_.jpg

I guess that was the safe gift for Johnny! Plus the Gaggia machine..... I wonder what I did right to deserve all this!! :rolleyes: Maybe all that "clean living"!

Impulse buy!:D

Actually, I had been thinking about picking up one of the canisters with the one way valve built in. It was hard to decide what size to get. These seemed like an interesting alternative and I can use them on different sized jars depending on how much coffee I have. I think they were originally designed for fermentation.

My initial impression after only a couple days of use is that they are better than just a sealed container with freshly roasted coffee. I'd say maybe equal to a bag with a one way vent in it. They probably don't make a lot of sense to get unless you already have some jars on hand. If you have to buy those, then there is that added cost.

Apparently these were first marketed as Pickle Pipes. They are sold in larger packs that are brightly colored and come in either size. I've only seen these for the wide mouth jars.

Here is a picture from their site. You can pinch the "pipe" and open the hole, but it stays shut when released.
CoffeeCaps_0018_1.jpg

Hey guys, been awhile. Looks like the Christmas coffee swap went well! :D Sorry that I was too busy to participate. :(

On a business trip in Buffalo at the moment. Here’s the coffee I found here to use in my pourover. Love the shop name and logo! Lol!!! :eek:

2CECDF16-72BD-4303-A3ED-8B8DC4842D6B.jpeg

I’m pretty pleased with it. Brewed at a normal ratio, it’s pretty mellow, almost like a Brazilian. But I bumped the bean to water ratio about 33% higher than usual, and it has some nice body and deep flavor without being too strong and overbearing. :thumbsup:

And my current EDC. :D Spyderco’s Maxamet is some pretty amazing steel!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Best edge retention I’ve ever experienced! :cool: My mule team in the same steel blew my mind, so I had to get one of the PM2’s when they came out. Been carrying it for over a month now, and it still seems just as sharp as the day that it arrived. :cool: I’ve never had a factory edge last that long, as I usually need to sharpen it up to my standards rather quickly. But this one came nice and sharp, and continues to stay that way. So cool! :thumbsup:

I got my order from Black Rifle Coffee today......
AK Espresso blend and BR Holiday blend. Along with a Southern Grind Bad Monkey.
IMAG2545.jpg

How's that coffee?? I see their brand popping up here and there so I've been curious about it, I think I'm going to place an order today or tomorrow with that JBC roaster or maybe more from Chromatic.. there used to be a local roaster that carried their beans here but no more their stuff has always been excellente!

I’m curious about Black Rifle coffee too. Been on my list to try.

I can say that I’ve never had anything bad at Chromatic. The head roaster has been at it for awhile, and knows what he’s doing! :thumbsup: Even back when it was still Barefoot. One of the highlights of my trip when I travel out to work at NASA Ames is getting to enjoy getting coffee at Chromatic. :)

Someone bought me a bag for Christmas and it was excellent. I will be breaking the AK open tonight after work and run it through my Gaggia.
BR is Veteran owned and operated which made it easier to order.
Use code tankmachine for 10 or 15% off.

Uganda Bugishu Coffee Beans
This Coffea arabica coffee plant varietal (Coffea arabica var. bugishu) is grown in northeast Uganda near Sipi Falls. Bugishu coffee is distinguished by its clean flavor and distinctive aroma. Some of the best Bugishu (or Bugisu) grows on Uganda’s Mt. Elgon.

A good brewed cup of Bugishu coffee exhibits the desirably winey acidity of a fine East African coffee. However, the lower complexity and lighter body of Uganda Coffee makes it generally less distinguished than the finer coffees of Zimbabwe, Tanzania, or Kenya.

https://espressocoffeeguide.com/gourmet-coffee/arabian-and-african-coffees/uganda-coffee/
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Gibuzale is part of an Arabica-focused area on the middle and lower slopes of Mt. Elgon, an inactive volcano in Eastern Uganda, on the border with Kenya. The Gibuzale Washing Station "where farmers bring their cherries to sell" is the most remote of all the Kyagalanyi (pronounced CHUG-uh-lani) stations. During the heavy rains, access to the station can become quite difficult. Traditionally, long rain patterns have lasted from April through December, but recent changing climate conditions have yielding less rain and higher temperatures. The average farm size is 0.89 hectares (2.2 acres) and each farmer has around 950 coffees trees. For most farmers, coffee is their most important cash crop, and they intercrop it with produce for the market "bananas, beans, peas, cassava" as well as for home consumption."

https://www.genuineorigin.com/2017-Uganda_Gibuzale?quantity=1&custcol3=1

Back