Coffee

Trying out the French press today with some fresh local coffee. It is very good. I will definitely be stopping for more next time I’m in the area.

And my first CPK! Just got it this week and can’t wait to try it out. I have heard so many good things, I had to get one!

dannyp dannyp that is a nice looking Kizer you got there! A lot good knives going around in this swap. Thanks Monofletch Monofletch for organizing it!

9DF7A32A-7FBA-461A-9C08-B73579C6540F.jpeg

Nice score there, Ryan! It's the first time I've had a Kizer and I see why people like them. Bryce actually dyed the scales on that particular knife, also. Have fun with the french press.:thumbsup:

I assume it's been mentioned but I'm a fan of Deathwish and Valhala Java. Though in a pinch as much as I like grinding my own beans I do like Cafe Bustello. I mean it's pretty much Foldgers Mexicana but it's not terrible...

I probably mostly enjoy dark roasts. If I have to buy beans from the store I usually get an espresso roast. Though like I said before I have been enjoying Deathwish a lot and buy the amazon deal that comes with Valhalla Java which isn't bad but meh to me it's like getting a freeish bag of coffee to go through while I wait for pay day to get more coffee. I have been thinking about maybe roasting my own.

Ran across this interesting new coffee brewer last week. The FrankOne. Isn't in production yet, but you can back it on Kickstarter (currently for $70) if you're interested. I'd post a link to the campaign, but don't think that's kosher here. I'm sure you can find it.

Ran across this interesting new coffee brewer last week. The FrankOne.

I’d be interested to hear your experience with this if you end up getting. I’ve got some serious reservations about the peressure and time involved with this brew method. I’m all about grind size and environmental control when it comes to understanding extraction in process. Plus I just backed three coffee gadgets on Kickstarter so I don’t need to throw more money out there haha.

I’d be interested to hear your experience with this if you end up getting. I’ve got some serious reservations about the peressure and time involved with this brew method. I’m all about grind size and environmental control when it comes to understanding extraction in process. Plus I just backed three coffee gadgets on Kickstarter so I don’t need to throw more money out there haha.

I haven't backed it yet, as I'm a little dubious as well. The coffee extraction doesn't actually happen under high pressure, which is part of what helps espresso extraction happen in such a short time. The device uses negative pressure, and essentially creates a vacuum inside of the carafe, sucking the water through the coffee grinds from the bottom. I don't know how it can happen fast like that and be properly extracted, despite their tests showing a near perfectly extracted "SCAA Golden Cup" brew. :shrug:

What other coffee items did you back?

What other coffee items did you back?

It certainly doesn’t seem to me to be anything to impressive. Especially when siphon filters have been around for a ridiculously long time and function in a similar way, using vacuum pressure. I posted a link in this thread a long time ago with one. Maybe 3-4 years back....

I backed the Nitro King 2.0, it’s a portable nitro tap system. I ordered the Flask, which is just a pretty French press with a removable center chamber. The I also ordered the Rite Press which is again a French press but I had a removable base so cleaning is a bit easier. I’m curious how the gaskets will hold up on the last one, but I’m most looking forward to the Nitro King. If that works out I’ll have a fun option to use at my shop.

It certainly doesn’t seem to me to be anything to impressive. Especially when siphon filters have been around for a ridiculously long time and function in a similar way, using vacuum pressure. I posted a link in this thread a long time ago with one. Maybe 3-4 years back....

I backed the Nitro King 2.0, it’s a portable nitro tap system. I ordered the Flask, which is just a pretty French press with a removable center chamber. The I also ordered the Rite Press which is again a French press but I had a removable base so cleaning is a bit easier. I’m curious how the gaskets will hold up on the last one, but I’m most looking forward to the Nitro King. If that works out I’ll have a fun option to use at my shop.

Yeah, exactly what I thought; an electric siphon. What has held me back is I think I'd rather have a nice Yama for the money. If it does indeed work, would be nice and portable, however.

Hadn't seen the Nitro King 2 on there. That's pretty slick. I'm not ready to fork out that much for it though.

First cup of the day. A nice Tanzania peaberry. :)

IMG_3033.jpg

Custom Redmeadow Corsair in O1 and African Blackwood, with nickel silver hardware. That square pin is not just a shield either, it goes all the way through the handle. :cool:

More pics of this beauty HERE.

Interesting stuff. I like to check out Kickstarter and Indiegogo from time to time for coffee related items but it's been a while since I looked there. Just now drinking some of the Roaster's Delight that I posted before. It's a pretty good for a blend. Have a good National Coffee Day everybody.

Back