Coffee

I really enjoy it in a Vietnamese coffee it's not a VC without cafe dumonnde.
The best Viet coffee I ever had was with my dad at a little corner cafe in Hoi An, poured over a hunk of ice the dude chiseled off a 2' square block. It was the first time I had ever been to Vietnam and the first time my dad had been back since leaving for the States. Just chilling out in this little court yard while my mom and sister shopped. Definitely a memory I'll keep forever :)

The best Viet coffee I ever had was with my dad at a little corner cafe in Hoi An, poured over a hunk of ice the dude chiseled off a 2' square block. It was the first time I had ever been to Vietnam and the first time my dad had been back since leaving for the States. Just chilling out in this little court yard while my mom and sister shopped. Definitely a memory I'll keep forever :)
Did they use Cafe Du Monde? I really like to try out all different kinds of coffees but at the end of the day I'm not really that picky about it. Pizza on the other hand...

Did they use Cafe Du Monde? I really like to try out all different kinds of coffees but at the end of the day I'm not really that picky about it. Pizza on the other hand...
I honestly have no idea. I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

I honestly have no idea. I wouldn't be surprised if it was.
So you guys convinced me to give this (thanks, sounds delicious) a try so I grabbed a couple of filters and some Trung Nguyen beans.
What setting/grind size would you recommend?
If it helps I use a Baratza Encore.
Thanks!

What is this Cafe Du Monde? Can it be purchased anywhere?
It's a pretty commercial coffee, the kicker is it has chicory added to it which is kinda like quinine and supposed to aid in digestion. It should be readily available in the stores and if not via Amazon. It's also what they serve at the beignet spots in New Orleans. So damn good with a hot out of the fryer beignet or four!

https://www.neworleans.com/restaurants/traditional-new-orleans-foods/beignets/
So you guys convinced me to give this (thanks, sounds delicious) a try so I grabbed a couple of filters and some Trung Nguyen beans.
What setting/grind size would you recommend?
If it helps I use a Baratza Encore.

Thanks!

Do these have chicory added? I would guess course grind as CDM usually comes pre-ground. It's fantastic brewed strong with a dollop of sweetened condensed milk which is the Vietnamese way of doing it!

The Vietnamese have a way of Frenchifying stuff that is their own making something new that is just freaking amazing. Like the odd-ball bit lip smacking delicious seafood that they do in Houston which was started up by folks who immigrated there. I absolutely love their food.

PS Barman I googled it and know their logo but never knew their name, that's the big Vietnamese outfit that does commercial coffee. Most of their coffees are a mix of arabica and robusta. The robusta really adds those punchy peanut-y possibly burnt notes. With the Cafe Du Monde the edge is taken off with the sweetened condensed milk. Here's a video of someone making a cup.

Last edited:
It's a pretty commercial coffee, the kicker is it has chicory added to it which is kinda like quinine and supposed to aid in digestion. It should be readily available in the stores and if not via Amazon. It's also what they serve at the beignet spots in New Orleans. So damn good with a hot out of the fryer beignet or four!

Do these have chicory added? I would guess course grind as CDM usually comes pre-ground. It's fantastic brewed strong with a dollop of sweetened condensed milk which is the Vietnamese way of doing it!

The Vietnamese have a way of Frenchifying stuff that is their own making something new that is just freaking amazing. Like the odd-ball bit lip smacking delicious seafood that they do in Houston which was started up by folks who immigrated there. I absolutely love their food.
Thanks Chris.
I'm definitely going to follow the official recipe on the coffee.
I've added sweetened condensed milk to french roast in the past when I lived in the Caribbean and it was a treat!
Not so much after discovering "real" coffee though.:p
I'll do an update after I get things dialed in.

Peep this, I used to have to go to work pretty regularly to Houston for work, not so much anymore. The people that I went there for in suit and tie and all would take me to this place to eat. I literally would never leave this city without eating at this spot at least once as well as the BBQ which destroys Kansas City. Houston actually is pretty nuts for food, come to think of it they have an absolutely authentic Argentinian food spot as well, best morcilla I've had anywhere.

There's nothing like this Vietnamese-Southern mashup that I've tasted anywhere in NYC. I think this place literally is just making s*&t up as they go and it's absolutely amazing. I was told there are better seafood boils in Houston, but I returned to this spot for their odd ball combo of spices.

Should be ICED!

This is how it is usually served, unless to go (premixed, in a plastic cup)

300px-Viet-coffee.jpg

Last edited:

PS Barman I googled it and know their logo but never knew their name, that's the big Vietnamese outfit that does commercial coffee. Most of their coffees are a mix of arabica and robusta. The robusta really adds those punchy peanut-y possibly burnt notes. With the Cafe Du Monde the edge is taken off with the sweetened condensed milk. Here's a video of someone making a cup.

If you're ever back in Houston, LEE'S SANDWICHES for a quick cafe sua da (VC) and a banh mi.

Thanks Chris.
I'm definitely going to follow the official recipe on the coffee.
I've added sweetened condensed milk to french roast in the past when I lived in the Caribbean and it was a treat!
Not so much after discovering "real" coffee though.:p
I'll do an update after I get things dialed in.
Lived in the Caribbean? How awesome is that!

Received all of the bits today to make Vietnamese coffee happen!
Still getting it dialed in as on the first try my grind size was a bit too coarse but the second cup will be on the money.
The filters IMO are unnecessary if you have an Aeropress but whatever, a few more coffee related gizmos hanging around is fun and it seems to work well enough.
...pardon the (unrelated to coffee making process) Pedro's grease tube in the back, it's mountain bike maintenance time and that came in the same delivery today.
HzWDxSU.jpg

Back