Coffee

Welcome to the madness! :eek: :)

A number of us home roast (I've been doing it for ~17 years now), so we won't hold the *$ stuff against you, for too long anyway. :p ;) We'll get you straightened out in no time.

All kidding aside, you like what you like, don't worry about what anyone else thinks. Try some of the stuff recommended in this thread though, and be prepared for a new world! :cool: :thumbsup:
Thx for the pass! Ill have to look into the home roasting thing. I have a pretty strong game of grinding and brewing. 5 different brewing methods but mostly do pour overs. Looks like roasting is a logical next step:)

Thx for the pass! Ill have to look into the home roasting thing. I have a pretty strong game of grinding and brewing. 5 different brewing methods but mostly do pour overs. Looks like roasting is a logical next step:)

Sounds like it is. The benefit is that you're getting good, very high-quality coffee for about $6-$8 per 12-13 ounces of roasted coffee (the green beans lose about 20% weight during roasting). Versus many of the boutique type roasteries you can purchase from online, where those prices are about 2-3 times (or greater) more expensive.

It can be as simple as buying an electric popcorn popper of the proper style (LINK and LINK), or even roasting it on a stovetop in a skillet. Lots of information to be had on coffeegeek and even Sweet Maria's (a well-known green bean seller). I would highly recommend doing it outside though!

Let us know if you have questions!

PS - Fair warning though, this is a rabbit hole with NO bottom... :eek:

Last edited:
Sounds like it is. The benefit is that you're getting good, very high-quality coffee for about $6-$8 per 12-13 ounces of roasted coffee (the green beans lose about 20% weight during roasting). Versus many of the boutique type roasteries you can purchase from online, where those prices are about 2-3 times (or greater) more expensive.

It can be as simple as buying an electric popcorn popper of the proper style (LINK and LINK), or even roasting it on a stovetop in a skillet. Lots of information to be had on coffeegeek and even Sweet Maria's (a well-known green bean seller). I would highly recommend doing it outside though!

Let us know if you have questions!

PS - Fair warning though, this is a rabbit hole with NO bottom... :eek:
Awesome! Thanks for the info. Lots of research to do. I am still falling down a few other rabbit holes. What’s one more gonna hurt?
Eta: already have a great northern popcorn popper for the stove top. Ill just start with that. Let the madness begin

Last edited:
Halloween is over..... you guys know what’s next.

This will be the official Secret Santa sign up......

So far it will be the same rules as always- knives and beans. You will not know who’s sending you stuff (secret).
If anyone has an idea for some kind of “ “twist” we can run it by the group.
To enter- reply just reply in this thread then text (most of you have it), email, or PM me your address! Ssjs678@yahoo. Include your user name please.
Happy Holidays!!

Ryan Thompson
Monofletch
Y’shua
DannyP
Spyderphreak
Rose and Thistle custom
007 Agent Zzero

I'm in. Fullflat Fullflat might be interested as well.

This is our list so far
Happy Holidays!!

Ryan Thompson
Monofletch
Y’shua
DannyP
Spyderphreak
Rose and Thistle custom
007 Agent Zzero
TLE Sharp
Taylortat

Last edited:
This is our list so far
Happy Holidays!!

Ryan Thompson
Monofletch
Y’shua
DannyP
Spyderphreak
Rose and Thistle custom
007 Agent Zzero
TLE Sharp
Taylortat
Fullflat
Woodysone
Worldwatcher
Gotsteal

Last edited:
Useful? Hmm, I'll have to think on that.

Are we talking new or lightly used this year? Still keeping it under $100?

I'm not even hung up on useful. I've got useful knives. I'm sure nobody who's participating in this is hurting for a practical cutting tool.

I've always been a big fan of odd, interesting, silly or gag gifts. I'd be happy to receive something that's more entertaining than it is useful. A Vic Cadet and a quad bladed batarang to annoy the wife maybe.

That might even be a fun little exercise: say a ~$50 limit on legitimate knife and then a "worst knife" addition. Something silly to play with.

Back