Coffee

Happy Friday everyone! I’m almost done with the Ethiopian I got from Monofletch. Looks like I’ll need to find a bag this weekend. I’ve scoped out a new place here in Buffalo that I’m going to try. If I like what I taste, I’ll buy some beans from them.

https://overwinter.coffee/

Pic of my carry knife today, and the remainder of my coffee this morning.

A7955155-6A8C-4962-895A-B08021D4679D.jpeg

This K390 is really impressive! :cool:

Last edited:
Well, overall I was impressed with Overwinter. Their shop is tiny though, with only a small bar by the front window that has room for about 3 people. Unfortunately there were 2 couples just camped out there, having finished their drinks awhile before I even got there. Unfortunately, they would not relinquish the spot, despite the barista hinting at it, so I had to have my drinks and coffee cake while standing in the corner behind the espresso machine. o_O Whatever people. After they left she mentioned they had been there for almost 2 hours... :rolleyes:

(pic from their IG, I forgot to take one of their machines. :oops:)
ovrwntr.jpg

The barista was really nice. Turns out she's the wife of the the head roaster / co-owner. We had a nice conversation about coffee, and educated a few different customers that came in while I was there. They also do pour-overs from a few small Chemex brewers sitting on scales. A small shop that's very dedicated to the coffee, and I was impressed with the roasts.

87D978DA-F287-4E40-B326-8179DF9A36F5.jpeg

I bought an espresso (not enough room for it in the pic, lol), a cappuccino, and bought a couple bags of coffee (they were running a special, buy one, get the second half off, $28 isn't too bad for 2 good bags of beans) which also earned me a pour-over of their Ethiopian (that I took to-go).

4127B464-E96B-40DC-9614-39516F7CF94D.jpeg

They were pulling shots with the Burundi today, which is really what sparked my conversation with Lauren. She mentioned that, and I commented that it should be interesting an interesting shot, I haven't had many Burundi's as SO espresso. She noted that they'd had some trouble dialing it in on their machines, but were happy with the results. I was as well, reminded me of a typical Kenyan SO espresso, but not as bright, less citrus, and with some cinnamon and caramel undertones (sort of like those big "elephant ear" pastries). She was surprised I said that, because that's similar to what they got out of it too, and not a single other customer had commented on it. She thought I was in the industry with my comment, and I had to disappoint her and tell her that I was just a geek with close to 18 years of home roasting experience. She mentioned that that was how her husband got started about 10 years ago...

Anyway, excellent experience, and I'll definitely be back! :cool: :thumbsup:

Downtown Buffalo today:

0CCEABC8-2032-4BA5-BD16-5C65CE71020D.jpeg

Last edited:
Sounds like a nice place. What is up with this newer design of coffee bags with small openings on the front instead of an open top? I can't believe anyone who actually scoops coffee out of the bag thought this is a good idea.

Sounds like a nice place. What is up with this newer design of coffee bags with small openings on the front instead of an open top? I can't believe anyone who actually scoops coffee out of the bag thought this is a good idea.
Agreed, I don't care for those bags either. It's not bad when they're full, but it's a total pain when they're near the bottom.

The one thing that bothers me is the consistency from batch to batch. My favorites I know what to expect. Some roasters it’s never the same twice in a row!

Nice picks! Also about the consistency can be really disappointing especially if you're paying upwards of $20 for a bag, one of my favorite shops in town that was extremely consistent (and moderately priced (at the time) suddenly started over-roasting their beans and I thought oh they must have gotten a new roasting apparatus or had a falling out with a roaster/partner, I inquired about it once and was met with a "you're such a snob" type of attitude XD, but yeah they're still not roasting well over a year later..

Andy! mqqn mqqn Have you guys ever seen a "monsooned" bean before? They're pale yellow in color, weigh a bit less than usual, and sound funny, almost hollow. They make a very interesting addition to an espresso blend... :cool:

I have not but after reading a little about the process and result sounds pretty awesome

Downtown Buffalo today:

Had no idea you were in Buffalo Ny! I'm one town over in Rochester :thumbsup:

I have not but after reading a little about the process and result sounds pretty awesome

It's very different stuff. Sweet Maria's uses it in their Liquid Amber espresso blend, and used to sell it separately, but I haven't seen it for quite some time. Back when I was blending my own espresso, I used to buy it. Very unique, nothing quite like it.

Had no idea you were in Buffalo Ny! I'm one town over in Rochester :thumbsup:
I'm here for work for awhile. :) Didn't realize you were there, but now that you mentioned it, I seem to recall you had mentioned it before. We could have gotten together for a coffee last weekend. Maybe an opportunity still this weekend? I might be headed West though, to meet up with another BF member. It's up in the air still at the moment.

My daughter bought me some Coffee Kult dark roast and it is in those stupid bags. I hate it

GotSteel GotSteel , my weekend is wide open. Want to meet up sometime somewhere for a coffee? Any decent shops there?

(Tried sending you a PM, but your inbox is full...)

any recommendations for readily available on the internet, whole bean coffees I should try.
we like to enjoy something other than the run of the mill whatever fits for the whole office from time to time.
we've done some of the caveman, black rifle, etc. that we've seen advertised all over, but looking to expand a bit

Just ordered from Kean coffee, one of my favorites!
Items Ordered:

(1) Golden Mean Espresso Blend , Whole Bean

(1) Colombia Aponte , Whole Bean

(1) Kenya Nguvu , Whole Bean

(1) Nicaragua La Entrada Natural , Whole Bean

(1) Guatemala Antigua Bella Carmona , Whole Bean

I was at Costco this past weekend and they had a Jamaican Blue Mountain Blend - so I picked up a package of it and will be trying it when I run out of the last of the Colombian beans I have.
I also picked up the Kirkland Kona - I have had that before and it is pretty good (not an expert connoisseur by any means).

best

mqqn

I was at Costco this past weekend and they had a Jamaican Blue Mountain Blend - so I picked up a package of it and will be trying it when I run out of the last of the Colombian beans I have.
I also picked up the Kirkland Kona - I have had that before and it is pretty good (not an expert connoisseur by any means).

best

mqqn

You will be after hanging out with this group!!!

best

mqqn
I heard so much about Kona I tried some straight Kona and didn't like it at all. But then my taste in coffee is extremely discriminating. Perhaps Kona needs to be in a blend to even it out. I think I has some straight Blue Mountain decades ago, but can't really remember what it was like. "Blue Mountain" evokes a vague pleasant sort of memory, so it must have been good.

The absolute best blend I've ever tried was a Harrar/Mocha blend I got in a coffee shop in Taipei. Never had anything like it in the U.S. One day I'm going to blend my own and try to match it.

Proper straight-up Kona is excellent! Very smooth and well-balanced overall. Generally a very pleasant cup. Did you guys know that Kona is actually one of the most ideal coffee-growing regions on the planet? :cool:

Back