Coffee

Send me an e-mail with your info and I'll start a list.

Shipping info to ssjs678@yahoo

What kind of rules do we want?
---$20 sound like a good number for a minimum? You can go as high as you want, but only expect the minimum in return. That is how the Christmas knife exchanges worked last year.

Let's get a few more to join in!!!

My regular is a dark roast espresso- brand is irrelevant as I am not in the USA.
I get the beans and do a fine grind, then into a little Moccha espresso pot. Damn fine stuff.

For a little excitement, try the Sumatran Kopi Luwak coffee, also good, but not for every day- ignore all the comments about crap coffee, it is good.

My coworker is Vietnamese and her family has a plantation near nha trang. She sneaks her family's civet coffee over twice a year. Its pretty interesting with intense chocolate notes in it and low acidity at least the ones that she brings over.

Another coffee addict here. My go-to is Folgers Black Silk. Mostly because it is what is available here locally. Sumatran isn't bad when it can be found. Some of the Haiwaiian single estates are good. Some time back a forum friend gifted me a pack of Jamacain Blue Mountain coffee, the best I have had yet. I've only been able to reorder it for myself once, but I highly recommend it. Nuts, cream and sugar? I like a candy bar now and again, but not in my coffee thankyou.

i2n1pc.jpg

I will second the idea that the water is nearly as important as the bean. My water supply is sourced from the Tennessee River and even though it is filtered and treated with enough chlorine to bleach a swimsuit, I swear I can still taste a hint of passing tugboat traffic. I use either distilled or spring bottled water when possible to make my coffee.

Last edited:
I love coffee too. Not really a coffee snob, other than the preference for medium - dark roast coffee. I also use filtered water (Brita or PUR). I do use some sugar in mine for extra kick. I need to get some real Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee soon.

I love coffee too. Not really a coffee snob, other than the preference for medium - dark roast coffee. I also use filtered water (Brita or PUR). I do use some sugar in mine for extra kick. I need to get some real Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee soon.

A gift I receive almost every Christmas. Back in my real traveling days I'd buy, in Papua New Guinea, cases of vacuum packed grounds from Arabica seeds originating in Jamaica's Blue Mountains and grown in Papua New Guinea, send it back to Hawaii, and have gifts for everyone. Man, that was some good coffee.

In south St.Louis there is a HUGE Bosnian community. There is a coffee shop on every corner. I am not sure what they are cooking, but it is d@mn fine espresso. I have a few on my mail route and every once in a while I get a to go cup :D!!

Old retired mail man here,not into the flavored stuff.I remember a few days before I retired when I walked into the break room to get my first cup of the day before clocking in there was a bat on the wall by the coffee maker and the place was empty.:confused: I put him in a old can and put the bat by the dumpster out front.Poured my coffee and even had a second cup wondering where everyone was? Clocked in and walked outside to check the truck and the whole crew plus the supervisor where out on the loading dock.She had evacuated the building ! I laughed and said that bat is long gone, nothing but a griz would get between me and my Java.

Old retired mail man here,not into the flavored stuff.I remember a few days before I retired when I walked into the break room to get my first cup of the day before clocking in there was a bat on the wall by the coffee maker and the place was empty.:confused: I put him in a old can and put the bat by the dumpster out front.Poured my coffee and even had a second cup wondering where everyone was? Clocked in and walked outside to check the truck and the whole crew plus the supervisor where out on the loading dock.She had evacuated the building ! I laughed and said that bat is long gone, nothing but a griz would get between me and my Java.

:D

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds of Coffee. :D

I prefer the Kona blends when I can get them as they don't seem to be available at times. Also Jamaican Blue Mountain is stellar. I grind my own and put a couple of shakes of ground cinnamon in with the beans before grinding. Just black thank you.

There is a regional, family owned coffee company out of Baton Rouge called Community Coffee. Unique, smooth flavor. Plus it's a family owned business. :thumbup:
Just "discovered" it when I moved south.

Anyone have any techniques that they prefer? I haven't dripped in a long time... I'm doing pour overs and French Press these days. Depends on the bean.

I've found that I prefer acidic tastes. This is one of the local vendors that stocks roasts from all over the country:

http://johnsonpublichouse.com/roasters/

Went and stayed with my cousin this summer for a few days. Apparently, he has been aspiring to the perfect cup of coffee.

I'm gonna make alittle of this up, but it's like he has a grinder, a certain type, that grinds the beans instead of chopping them, or something. He heats the water (filtered) to exactly some temperature.... uses some sort of press, I don't think it's a French press, that presses water through coffee instead of coffee through water, or something like that. He orders beans that come with a "roasted on" date. The whole procedure takes him a couple minutes to get through, and it looks like a chemistry experiment with impeccable quality control checks by an anal retentive QA/QC guy, but....

Best. Coffee. Ever.

Worth the effort. He gets his coffee from Stumptown Coffee Roasters in Portland, Oregon. www.stumptowncoffee.com if you are curious.

Went and stayed with my cousin this summer for a few days. Apparently, he has been aspiring to the perfect cup of coffee.

I'm gonna make alittle of this up, but it's like he has a grinder, a certain type, that grinds the beans instead of chopping them, or something. He heats the water (filtered) to exactly some temperature.... uses some sort of press, I don't think it's a French press, that presses water through coffee instead of coffee through water, or something like that. He orders beans that come with a "roasted on" date. The whole procedure takes him a couple minutes to get through, and it looks like a chemistry experiment with impeccable quality control checks by an anal retentive QA/QC guy, but....

Best. Coffee. Ever.

Worth the effort. He gets his coffee from Stumptown Coffee Roasters in Portland, Oregon. www.stumptowncoffee.com if you are curious.

This^^^^ Stumptown "Hairbender" is one of my favorite espresso s ever... Good coffee, as is all of the Stumptown stuff.

Yes, I do grind my own beans. I brew with a Delongi system. I use Aquarain filtered water :D
I was buying custom roasts from Madbeancoffee.com- best coffee I ever had, but I think he's done.

Good deal grinding your own beans, gives you a lot more control with the end product. Since you are already grinding your own beans have you ever used a French press? You get a very good extraction with out all of the bitterness.

Right now I'm currently usung a company called "Siuts and knives". I know, appropriate right!?! I'm using their "Dempsey" espresso.... Seriously good stuff. I'm about to order their COLOMBIA : HUILA PEABERRY. I'll let you know how it goes. Check them out http://shop.suitsandknives.com/

I like most any roasts/companies and I usually get my coffee ground coarse either for a french press or a percolator.

A really good one that I have enjoyed if you are willing to spend for it is Deadman's Reach. It is one of the roasts from raven's brew coffee. Makes a killer cup of joe. A great flavor but as they say has a "sweet bite." The bite is the caffeine content that it contains. While it doesn't make you jittery, it does add quite a burst of energy if you need the boost. As a nursing student, I frequently call on this an other brews to get me through.

Here's a little ditto take from their website:

"Deadman Reach is a shoal along Baranof Island in Peril Strait in the Alexander Archipelago of Southeast Alaska. We thought Deadman’s Reach sounded like coffee and were inspired to design this special high-speed blend of very rare coffees for:

Jump-starting Your Mornings,
Long-haul Trucking,
Cramming For Exams,
Winning Races,
Inspiring Great Ideas and Noble Emotions,
Graveyard Shifts,
Deadlines,
States of Pure Bliss,
and Intense Coffee Pleasure.

Revitalize your lifestyle and resurrect your palate with this inimitable high-speed blend. Suitably brewed by any method: drip, French press, or espresso. Produces an outstanding crema and punches through a tall latte with dense coffee flavor. Also available in Certified Organic form. Dark Roast."

PS I am in....email sent

Back