Coffee

Posted this one in the other coffee thread a couple days ago, but still on that cold brew kick lately. It's a nice change after not having any for quite a while.
49992882083_65aa1beeb2_b.jpg

No doubt!! I went through a whole bag in 3 days!!!
:eek:

Forgot to post this here yesterday. Cold brew over ice with a splash of cream yesterday afternoon. It hit 92º here in Denver yesterday, not quite even mid June. :eek:

IMG_5628.jpg

Carothers FK2, #badidea option (thinner grind and harder than usual) with swedge. Burlap micarta handle. :cool:

Not sure if any of you watch James Hoffmann's videos at all, but I thought this one was interesting.
James certainly is a wealth of info when it comes to coffee. I’ve adopted some of his techniques in my pour over brewing methods... mainly a gentle stirring of the coffee about a minute and a half into the brew. This works great with Chemex, Hario V60, as well as my standard Melitta-style pour-over. Not as successful with the Kalita Wave (fluted filters and smaller diameter make it hard).
Other passions that I have besides knives is coffee. I’ve been home-roasting since 2003, and went through a phase restoring old German coffee mills like Zassenhaus, as well as old espresso machines from Olympia (Cremina, Maximatic and a Caffarex) and La Pavoni. I go through phases, and I’m sure focusing on coffee will return, but for now, I’ve just got a good setup for roasting, grinding and brewing, so I’m not spending much time reading or watching any coffee-related content. That being said, I’ve been enjoying some frickin good coffee these days!

Yeah, I go through phases like that too. I did that with knives for a while. Was pretty well set with what I had and wasn't really looking for anything else. Mostly posted in this and a few other off topic threads, but got back into searching out and buying new knives more recently.

SpyderPhreak SpyderPhreak That's a beauty. I really like burlap micarta scales and have another knife on the way with some. I'd like to see some coffee bag micarta made with printed pieces. That would be an interesting look. Just made another batch of cold brew myself, too.

Does anyone here drink regular coffee or is it just something you don't talk about/post in a thread like this?

Define regular coffee. Foldgers? Maxwellhouse?

Most of the coffee we discuss is just regional. Nothing fancy, just good coffee!

Define regular coffee. Folgers? Maxwell house?

Most of the coffee we discuss is just regional. Nothing fancy, just good coffee!
Those would qualify as "regular" off the shelf coffee. :D I personally use 8 O'Clock for day to day use; usually their original and sometimes their dark. Have others but nothing "fancy".

22-rimfire 22-rimfire
A lot of the coffee’s I post are from local St. Louis roasters. I buy some of them at the local market but some have to be bought at the shop. Your 8 o’clock coffee would be a step above “can” coffee.

Some, like Iron Bean, are mail order. With IB you get great consistency bag to bag and high level coffee. You pay a little more but it is well worth it.

You should stick around and join one of our swaps!!

It’s a whole new hobby. Get ready!!

How do you prepare you coffee? Drip coffee maker? Do you grind your own beans?

22-rimfire 22-rimfire
A lot of the coffee’s I post are from local St. Louis roasters. I buy some of them at the local market but some have to be bought at the shop. Your 8 o’clock coffee would be a step above “can” coffee.

Some, like Iron Bean, are mail order. With IB you get great consistency bag to bag and high level coffee. You pay a little more but it is well worth it.

You should stick around and join one of our swaps!!

It’s a whole new hobby. Get ready!!

How do you prepare you coffee? Drip coffee maker? Do you grind your own beans?
I generally buy it ground, but used to buy whole bean. I use about a large bag per month more or less. But, it varies as to how much coffee I am drinking/making. I generally use a drip coffee maker; nothing fancy or real expensive. I did the whole bean thing for a couple years and got tired of doing it. There always seemed to be too much waste plus I hated to clean the grinder. ;) I store the unused coffee (in its bag) in a plastic Folgers can sealed in the pantry. I used to bring home the empty plastic cans from work as they are useful containers that seal.

Years ago, I used to visit a cafeteria and they had really good coffee there.... just their regular stuff. I asked what brand and they replied "Maxwell House"..... tried it and could never create the product they sold at the cafeteria. I'm not a Starbucks fan at all. Dunkin Donuts' coffee is a nice change at times and I get it on the road. McDonald's coffee isn't half bad.

How do I drink it? Black with no sugar or cream.

Last edited:
Those would qualify as "regular" off the shelf coffee. :D I personally use 8 O'Clock for day to day use; usually their original and sometimes their dark. Have others but nothing "fancy".

I agree with John that 8 O'clock is a step up from the Folgers/Maxwell House/store brand canned stuff. It is inexpensive and commonly found in whole bean, which is what got me started grinding coffee.

I also agree that it's become a hobby similar to knives for me. I enjoy trying different types of coffee and brewing methods. Now that I've been home roasting, I can even try different roasts of the same coffee to see how that affects the flavor. Much like knives, I also know that most people don't care about all those details.

I asked what brand and they replied "Maxwell House"..... tried it and could never create the product they sold at the cafeteria

It could have been their coffee maker. It's pretty common for restaurants to have commercial Bunn coffee makers, which may have gotten the water to a higher temperature than yours. Many of the auto drip makers don't get it hot enough. Ideal temp is between 195 and 205 degrees. Being able to control the temp and brewing time is a big reason for the increased popularity of manual brewing methods lately.

It could have been their coffee maker. It's pretty common for restaurants to have commercial Bunn coffee makers, which may have gotten the water to a higher temperature than yours. Many of the auto drip makers don't get it hot enough. Ideal temp is between 195 and 205 degrees. Being able to control the temp and brewing time is a big reason for the increased popularity of manual brewing methods lately.
The science of coffee making. :D My coffee maker died this week and I purchased a new one (still inexpensive, but hoping it's a small step up) and I notice that the coffee temp is higher than my old one. The old one wasn't so old and I was a little irritated that it stopped working. I'm not much for these digital controls on coffee makers. The electronics go >dead coffee maker. But, life goes on!

James certainly is a wealth of info when it comes to coffee. I’ve adopted some of his techniques in my pour over brewing methods... mainly a gentle stirring of the coffee about a minute and a half into the brew. This works great with Chemex, Hario V60, as well as my standard Melitta-style pour-over. Not as successful with the Kalita Wave (fluted filters and smaller diameter make it hard).
Other passions that I have besides knives is coffee. I’ve been home-roasting since 2003, and went through a phase restoring old German coffee mills like Zassenhaus, as well as old espresso machines from Olympia (Cremina, Maximatic and a Caffarex) and La Pavoni. I go through phases, and I’m sure focusing on coffee will return, but for now, I’ve just got a good setup for roasting, grinding and brewing, so I’m not spending much time reading or watching any coffee-related content. That being said, I’ve been enjoying some frickin good coffee these days!

Nice! :cool: I started home-roasting in '03 as well. :thumbsup: I've gone through several phases too, but I've always just roasted coffee like it's no big deal.

It's funny, while "coffee" has been a hobby, it's also not really a hobby either. Since I home-roast, I just look at it like something akin to cooking. You just do it as part of your normal routine. My routine is just a little more involved than most. ;)

Hello ya'll. I've enjoyed reading this thread over the last few weeks. I'm not a coffee guru, but do like coffee fresh brewed and fairly strong. I prefer the less acidic coffee, like Sumatra type coffee. A yr or so ago we got a Breville espresso machine: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CH9QWOU/ and do enjoy. That makes our daily coffee, use the small 1 cut espresso filter, use the double cut button and it makes a nice morning cup of coffee. We even pan roasted some beans to try out.

This has to have a knife featured somewhere since it's a knife forum {g}. This is a folder I made a yr ago. I forged the San Mai blade, 1095 core with 41 6SS cladding, 416SS bolster 'n liner with mammoth ivory scales. Photo looks a little rough from being carried in pocket so much.
San-Mai-Folder.jpg

Back