Coffee

I bow down to the masters!

That was kind of the point of my last post. Even though I know a lot about coffee and more than the average person, I'm aware that there is much more to learn. I'm far from an expert and sure that Y'shua Y'shua knows way more than me, as an example.

My best friend friend is a German biker the speaks many languages ! He bought a coffee farm in Costa Rica ten years ago. He is doing very well with it. He has given me green unroasted beans to lose weight. I grind the green coffee beans to powder and swallow without chewing a table spoon full. I wash it down with liquid aloe "Fruit of the Earth". I have 24/7 chronic pain. Coffee with sugar and cream is a "No-no" for me. I drink 1/2 cups black coffee a sometimes for pleasure to hurt less than drinking a full cup or pot. Sometimes I will sip some black just to get a flavor taste in my mouth. I have to spit it out to keep from awful hurting . I consider coffee as medicine and a healing herb. I have mixed mushroom powders in coffee to prevent cancer , mental health , build up my immune system, and restore my liver. Warm coffee activates the medicine in different mushroom powders. I wish I could drink a pot a day.

;) Had to be said. :shrug:

Costa Rica is my 2nd favorite origin after Kenya for everyday coffee (excluding JBM and Kona, but with the cost, those aren't really "everyday" coffees). Guatemala is probably #3, though Burundi is moving up fast! I've had excellent South American coffees too. :)
Its up there for me too. Especially Costa Rica Peaberry coffee. Its excellent!

A $4/lb raw bean can outperform a geisha if the person roasting takes the time to understand the bean. Problem theses days is that good quality green beans can hide a lot of mistakes in roasting. Just like a talented roast master can take a mediocre bean and elevate it to a gourmet level. Coffee like everything else in life comes down to one simple thing. Love what makes you happy and what you enjoy, so long as you’re hurting anyone.

haha thanks for the praise but after 17 years as a professional in the coffee world I feel like I only have more to learn. I just enjoy the journey of it all. So much to learn!

A $4/lb raw bean can outperform a geisha if the person roasting takes the time to understand the bean. Problem theses days is that good quality green beans can hide a lot of mistakes in roasting. Just like a talented roast master can take a mediocre bean and elevate it to a gourmet level. Coffee like everything else in life comes down to one simple thing. Love what makes you happy and what you enjoy, so long as you’re hurting anyone.

haha thanks for the praise but after 17 years as a professional in the coffee world I feel like I only have more to learn. I just enjoy the journey of it all. So much to learn!

One of the things I LOVE about home roasting is trying to squeeze everything out of a given bean. The better quality the green coffee, the better quality the cup.

I've learned a LOT since I started home roasting in 2003, but my coffee "journey" really started in ~1993. With my father working in Seattle a lot back in the 80's, he had already tracked down the best coffee in the Denver area. I skipped all the crap grocery store coffee, and started with locally-roasted "gourmet" coffee from a roaster near where he worked (still in business to this day). It's amazing how much things have changed (generally for the better) in that 27 years... :cool:

"Love what you do, and you won't work a day in your life." ;)

Is Jamaican blue mtn coffee worth the hype?
That really depends. First, are we talking pure JBM, or blended? Most JBM you'll find for sale is a blend, generally pretty low percentage of actual JBM, and IMO not worth it. There is great variation in JBM, but the stuff I've roasted has been very good. However, I don't think it's generally 3x as good (or more) to justify the extra cost over a lot of the other coffee I buy and roast at home.

Come on, you can’t order from them and not get at least one bag of Ariosa.

Come on, you can’t order from them and not get at least one bag of Ariosa.

My only thought is that I hate those stupid front opening zip bags.:mad: I'm pretty sure someone else here has bought from them before. The name sounds familiar.

My only thought is that I hate those stupid front opening zip bags.:mad: I'm pretty sure someone else here has bought from them before. The name sounds familiar.
Haha. Black Rifle comes the same way. I’ve gotten to were I open them and pour them in some containers or Tupperware type stuff. Got some Iron Bean on the way also by recommendation from Monofletch Monofletch

Haha. Black Rifle comes the same way. I’ve gotten to were I open them and pour them in some containers or Tupperware type stuff. Got some Iron Bean on the way also by recommendation from Monofletch Monofletch
Which Iron Bean did you get? I've been on an Iron Bean kick for the past few months. My favorites so far are Cast Iron, Fear No Evil, and Drink From The Skull Of Your Enemy.

Which Iron Bean did you get? I've been on an Iron Bean kick for the past few months. My favorites so far are Cast Iron, Fear No Evil, and Drink From The Skull Of Your Enemy.
Ride or Die is what I have coming. I do want to try Cast Iron

I like the Ride or Die as well. Hope that you will enjoy it, too.

Back