Coffee

Is there any topic on BF that you can comment on without needing to start an argument?
What argument? I am just providing information from a court case that was reported today showing what a small percentage of coffee which is labeled as Kona actually is (according to the case, about 13%). Is there some disagreement about that? Are there people here arguing differently - that no, in fact, most or all of the coffee which is labeled as Kona really and truly is Kona? if not, then how is my post starting an argument?

Is my previous post on this thread asking folks what size they consider to be "a cup" of coffee also "starting an argument?"

How about the last post I made here before this, in the Random Thoughts thread on the Carothers sub. Starting an argument? Or the one before that over there about the CPK Boot Daggers? Even the post I made in the most argumentative thread here every year in the Traditionals Forum about ideas for a Blade Forums 2021 knife, was not argumentative (although there are some SERIOUS arguments with personal vitriol on that thread if you take a look - but none of them involve me at all).

No, I do not understand where your accusation/question comes from, and the clear answer is "Yes." All. The. Time.

PS - I really do not like even posting this here, because it is way off topic concerning coffee, and I apologize to the other participants in this thread's discussion. But then your accusation toward me was also off topic to begin with. If you had sent me that as a PM, I certainly would have responded that way. But since you posted it publicly like that, I felt I should also be able to respond publicly - even though as I mentioned, I really don't like mucking up a coffee thread with this. I would prefer to drop it and return to discussing coffee.

Last edited:
Bought #5 lb of Costa Rican from Big Shoulders the other day for $60..delivered.
Regular price $22.00 for 12oz.
Woman's day special
30 oz. Yeti for me also
gYhAg0i.jpg

The G.Sakai is 7 inches open
Edit: pic ....Edit-Edit:The coffee is so sour it's getting hard to drink

Last edited:
According to all the news outlets, we'd better enjoy whatever coffee we have because in a short time the supply of coffee will be exhausted. It's all on a ship stuck in the Suez Canal.:eek::rolleyes:

If any regular from this thread wants to have some SOUR (big shoulders coffee) Costa Rican, P.M. me with your address.
I figure I got about 3 pounds left, enough for 3 or 4 of you brave souls. Don't say I didn't warn you!

Did I forget to mention...Free ...totally free. I feel guilty at that.
Edit: This is NOT an April Fools joke..

Last edited:
UpDate: Before throwing the Costa Rican away I deceided to roast it some more. Now its a mid-dark roast and the sourness is gone.
I hate throwing (hard earned stuff)away..I'm happy I can drink it now.
Edit: new to me knife
0d03ECI.jpg

I've done that before with some coffee that I under roasted the first time. It doesn't turn out ideal, but at least makes it drinkable. I agree that it's better than throwing it out.

I never really measured it, but always thought it was about 6-8 oz per cup for what coffee makers were listed as. I think most normal mugs are about 10 oz, large mugs are 16 oz, and a lot of travel tumblers are 20 oz. If there is some kind of official standard for it, SpyderPhreak would probably know.

When I drink a cup of coffee, it's usually in the 16 oz range because that's what my Clever Dripper holds and most of the mugs I use are that size or larger.

As far as the 4 oz measurement, the only thing I can think of is because of the small teacups I've commonly seen on old china sets and the measurement just carried over. That's just a flat out guess though.
OBE obviously. But yes, the "standard" coffee measure is oddly 4oz. Why? That I do not know, it seems dumb to me. Probably just because "it's always been that way". :shrug: I usually drink ~16oz a day from the Technivorm/Clever, or 2 espresso/macchiato/cappuccinos.

Is there any topic on BF that you can comment on without needing to start an argument?

I rest my case.
lol. :rolleyes: I couldn't see what the fuss was, and was a little confused until I saw the note at the bottom of the page. Big surprise.

“Your "Kona" coffee . . . probably isn't. Especially if you bought it at Costco, Marshalls, Albertsons, Bed Bath & Beyond, CostPlus/WorldMarket, Safeway, or Kroger.”

All places I would never think of buying coffee in the first place!
Right? Lol! ;) We've discussed this in here previously (similar with JBM as well) anyway.

I knew about kopi luwak, but didn't realize anyone was doing it with elephants.o_O While neither seems appealing to me personally for reasons that Heather mentions in the article, this is worth a read. https://coffeeordie.com/poo-brew/
No, just no. People are not so smart. I'll take a good Gesha, Kona (100% real Kona, that is), or real JBM any day before any poop coffee... :eek: :poop: o_O

So I helped a buddy of mine here (a friend from work) that had picked up a sorta-working Silvia off of Craigslist awhile back. A new pump and replacement steam line got it back to working proper. :thumbsup: He recently wanted to do some upgrades, namely a PID like mine, plus a pressure gage and some lighting. I have never regretted doing the PID mod on mine way back when, made for an excellent machine for what I paid (mine is an early one, from around the second year of production).

Anyway, the mods went well, and got me off my ass to add a pressure gage and lighting to mine as well. :cool: Parts were not very expensive, and the installation went well for the most part.

The hardest thing about the upgrade was mine, being an older model, was plumbed with metric Teflon tubing and compression fittings (helps prevent vibration transmitted through the machine from the vibe pump). The newer machines use braided hoses similar to what you'd find under the kitchen sink.

I decided to keep with the theme, and used Sharkbite fittings for the tubing. The issue was Teflon tubing isn't very common (especially metric Teflon tubing), so I tried using readily-available Polyethylene first. It worked for awhile, but the heat and constant pressure eventually caused a failure, and a hose blew off one time as I was steaming some milk. Ugh.

I eventually sourced some standard-sized Teflon tubing from a commercial supplier here in the USA, but they only sold it in 100' lengths, and it wasn't cheap. A few back-and-forth emails later, and I had purchased a "sample" length of a few feet for less than $20 shipped to my door. :cool: The ID was very near the correct size as the original 6mm tubing, and as a bonus, the OD on this stuff (which could be had in 1/32" incremental OD/ID sizes) was the proper SAE size for the Sharkbite fittings. So far, so good! It's held up fine after several months of use. :thumbsup:

Putting the pressure gage into the frame of the machine is a one-way mod. You have to cut a hole in the SS body. NO going back, lol! :p A good hole saw (Milwaukee) worked fine. I used some big bar clamps and put a piece of wood on the backside of the front panel, so I could drill/cut the hole in place without fully disassembling/removing the front panel. But the main power switch and power light had to come out temporarily. It went well.

IMG_6863.jpg

While I was at it ordering some parts, I went ahead and got a silicone portafilter gasket and a new, one-piece shower screen. No more trapped coffee particles in the screen, and an easier, better seal on the coffee baskets.

IMG_6864.jpg

Here you can see I added the lighting. These are COB LED strips, which I scavenged from a cheap Harbor Frieght light. $2 for the light strips versus ~$10-$15 if ordered elsewhere online, lol. :D They claim 200 Lumens (100 per strip), but they're not quite that much. Maybe 75 Lumens each, but that's plenty. I used some Teflon-insulated wiring, which lasts a long time and is mostly impervious to heat below ~400º. Perfect for this application.

IMG_6865.jpg

Voila! :D

IMG_6866.jpg

Here you can see the guts in the back of the machine. The Sharkbite splitter, and the lower tube going to the pressure gage, which also has a Sharkbite fitting. The brass compression fittings are original to the machine. There is a stainless steel cover that goes over all of this, and there's potential for the high-pressure supply tube to rub at the bottom of it, so I split another length of tubing to put over the main one, to hopefully prevent any rub-through of the water line. :)

The LED driver module is on the left. I attached it (and the LED strips) with some 3M high-strength adhesive foam double-sided tape. I've used the stuff in a lot of other applications, and it works well. Doesn't come off until you purposely take it off. Recommended! :thumbsup: It gets power straight from the main power switch, and then is directly wired to the two LED strips (they're wired in series to achieve the proper forward voltage and to get the correct amperage to each, since it's a constant current LED driver), so the lights come on as soon as you turn the machine on.

IMG_6867.jpg

All done! :cool: :thumbsup:

IMG_6868.jpg

All powered up. The lighting proved to be about perfect. Not too bright, not too dim. Shown below in the evening with the kitchen lights on.

IMG_6869.jpg

Another shot the following morning. No kitchen lights on, just the morning daylight coming through the windows. This is where I've especially come to appreciate this lighting mod! No need to turn on the bright lights first thing in the morning. :cool: It's just the right amount of light to make your coffee before facing what the day has in store.

IMG_6870.jpg

The pressure gage is nice too. Way back when, I built a pressure gage that I could attach to my portafilter, in order to calibrate the pressure of the machine through the back flow valve. It should be right about at 9 Bar. Lo and behold, after all these years, it's still perfect! :D :thumbsup: I do appreciate being able to see how the shot is progressing now though. The gage is giving me pressure feedback to confirm what I'm seeing in a given shot. It's really only confirming what I've always suspected, but that little bit of extra feedback has helped me tighten up my shots a bit more.

Sorry for the long read if you made it this far! :p ;) I'm pretty stoked, the machine is now perfect IMO! :D (At least however perfect a single-boiler machine could be...)

Last edited:
A few of the better recent coffees since the machine upgrades. :)

IMG_6874.jpg

IMG_6875.jpg

No art on this one, but the milk was absolutely perfect! :D :thumbsup:

IMG_6876.jpg

Back