Coffee

Can anyone recommend a Brazilian coffee that they like? For one of the largest coffee producing countries, I've just never found a Brazilian coffee that I like.

FWIW, some of my favorite varieties are from Ethiopia (e.g., Yergacheffe), Kenya (AA), Tanzania (Peaberry), Columbia (e.g., Castillo), Hawaii (Kona/Peaberry) and Panama (Gesha). I have also enjoyed coffees from Yemen, Indonesia, Ecuador, and Peru, for example. But nothing that I can recall from Brazil. Can't recall which ones I've had from Brazil, because it's probably been a few years, but I have definitely tried some in years past and didn't really like them. I tend to favor a bean that takes well to a medium roast. Sweet, fruity, earthy - :thumbsup:. Vegetal, grassy - :thumbsdown:.

What Brazilian coffee do you like? TIA.

Can anyone recommend a Brazilian coffee that they like? For one of the largest coffee producing countries, I've just never found a Brazilian coffee that I like.

FWIW, some of my favorite varieties are from Ethiopia (e.g., Yergacheffe), Kenya (AA), Tanzania (Peaberry), Columbia (e.g., Castillo), Hawaii (Kona/Peaberry) and Panama (Gesha). I have also enjoyed coffees from Yemen, Indonesia, Ecuador, and Peru, for example. But nothing that I can recall from Brazil. Can't recall which ones I've had from Brazil, because it's probably been a few years, but I have definitely tried some in years past and didn't really like them. I tend to favor a bean that takes well to a medium roast. Sweet, fruity, earthy - :thumbsup:. Vegetal, grassy - :thumbsdown:.

My absolute favorite Brazilian coffee is Iron Bean Ride or Die. It is Brazilian Yellow Bourbon.

My absolute favorite Brazilian coffee is Iron Bean Ride or Die. It is Brazilian Yellow Bourbon.
Same here. Another vote for iron bean. It’s the only coffee I have a subscription to. I tend to lean towards the south and Central Americans for coffee

The Amazing Virginian The Amazing Virginian I've been trying a few African beans and haven’t had the best of luck. I do have a Tumba Rwanda from Corvus right now that I do like. Mainly the Ethiopians I’ve had are a natural process. I wouldn’t call them bad (I’ve drank all the bags) but they’re just different. Almost “earthy” or “funky”. Would a washed Ethiopian have a better taste?

Same here. Another vote for iron bean. It’s the only coffee I have a subscription to. I tend to lean towards the south and Central Americans for coffee

The Amazing Virginian The Amazing Virginian I've been trying a few African beans and haven’t had the best of luck. I do have a Tumba Rwanda from Corvus right now that I do like. Mainly the Ethiopians I’ve had are a natural process. I wouldn’t call them bad (I’ve drank all the bags) but they’re just different. Almost “earthy” or “funky”. Would a washed Ethiopian have a better taste?
Thanks, guys! :thumbsup:

I ordered a pound of "Ride or Die" beans to try. I'll post my thoughts here once the beans arrive and I brew my first pot.

I don't know. I like earthy and funky. Aromas and tastes like dirt or a barn somehow taste good to me in coffee and cigars. DSFDF, right? So I generally like natural processed beans, but that is probably because I think they do tend to taste a little more fermented/earthy/funky. I think I'm in a minority here. So if you don't like those flavors, then I think you would probably like washed beans better as I think they tend to have less of those flavors.

Actually, I'm a bit surprised that many of the Ethiopian beans you've had were natural processed, as I thought that washed processing is very traditional and almost standard there.

Anyway, if you want to try some Ethiopian beans that definitely come from a washed process, I think these Ethiopian Yirgacheffe beans from a local roaster about a mile from my house are excellent (they ship). If you try them, let me know if you like them better than ones you've been trying until now.

I also like these washed-process "YirgZ" beans from Passport. They just get to be pricier for me with shipping than the local roasters that I patronize.

My "go-to" beans are Ethiopian Yirgacheffe beans from a local place called Beanetics. Not sure if they use a natural or washed process on those beans. I'll have to ask next time I'm there.

Not sure if any of this helped, but good luck!

I ordered a pound of "Ride or Die" beans to try. I'll post my thoughts here once the beans arrive and I brew my first pot.
Sounds good. Everyone I’ve gave some to here local with me has liked them. Definitely has a chocolate taste to it for me, but everyone is different. Hope you enjoy them
I don't know. I like earthy and funky. Aromas and tastes like dirt or a barn somehow taste good to me in coffee and cigars. DSFDF, right? So I generally like natural processed beans, but that is probably because I think they do tend to taste a little more fermented/earthy/funky. I think I'm in a minority here. So if you don't like those flavors, then I think you would probably like washed beans better as I think they tend to have less of those flavors.

Actually, I'm a bit surprised that many of the Ethiopian beans you've had were natural processed, as I thought that washed processing is very traditional and almost standard there.

Anyway, if you want to try some Ethiopian beans that definitely come from a washed process, I think these Ethiopian Yirgacheffe beans from a local roaster about a mile from my house are excellent (they ship). If you try them, let me know if you like them better than ones you've been trying until now.

I also like these washed-process "YirgZ" beans from Passport. They just get to be pricier for me with shipping than the local roasters that I patronize.

My "go-to" beans are Ethiopian Yirgacheffe beans from a local place called Beanetics. Not sure if they use a natural or washed process on those beans. I'll have to ask next time I'm there.

Not sure if any of this helped, but good luck!
Thank ya much. Any info or opinions is always appreciated

First, a pic . .

20210916_111041.jpg

Agree with the opinion that they have a chocolate taste. Can also taste vanilla. Didn't notice until I got the package, but it says right on the package that the coffee beans are tumbled with cocoa nibs and vanilla beans. And, again, I can taste both.

It's obviously a quality coffee roasted to perfection. Not sure how I feel about the chocolate and vanilla. Generally not a fan of flavored coffees, and although this is not exactly that . . . it's in the neighborhood. These flavors tend to mask the coffee flavor that I really like.

Ultimately . . . it's a very good coffee. Not sure if I would buy it again, but it's very good. Would really like to try some of these beans that were not tumbled with chocolate nibs and vanilla beans.

BTW, on my package that little one-way CO2 valve didn't have a corresponding tiny little hole in the bag. So the bag was totally sealed - no CO2 could escape. The valve is there on the inside of the bag, but totally useless without a tiny hole in the bag. Not sure it really matters, but just thought I would note it.

Anyway, thanks for the recommendations!

Last edited:
First, a pic . .

View attachment 1641101

Agree with the opinion that they have a chocolate taste. Can also taste vanilla. Didn't notice until I got the package, but it says right on the package that the coffee beans are tumbled with cocoa nibs and vanilla beans. And, again, I can taste both.

It's obviously a quality coffee roasted to perfection. Not sure how I feel about the chocolate and vanilla. Generally not a fan of flavored coffees, and although this is not exactly that . . . it's in the neighborhood. These flavors tend to mask the coffee flavor that I really like.

Ultimately . . . it's a very good coffee. Not sure if I would buy it again, but it's very good. Would really like to try some of these beans that were not tumbled with chocolate nibs and vanilla beans.

BTW, on my package that little one-way CO2 valve didn't have a corresponding tiny little hole in the bag. So the bag was totally sealed - no CO2 could escape. The valve is there on the inside of the bag, but totally useless without a tiny hole in the bag. Not sure it really matters, but just thought I would note it.

Anyway, thanks for the recommendations!
If you go to eBay search Brazil yellow bourbon coffee beans.. 2-1pound bags for about $24

Kean coffee, My fatorite when I can afford, has Brazil foca cafe for sale right now.
steve
EDIT: I've never tried, but if there's a Brazilian that's any good I'd start here first.

Back