COHUTTA WISH LIST*****

****COHUTTA KNIVES WISH LIST: PLEASE READ****
Let me start this thread by saying: If you are a huge fan of Fiddleback Forge like me, and have been considering whether or not to try a Cohutta knife, stop waiting and just do it! Cohutta knives by maker Russell Reece are just another example of the incredible skillset coming out of the Andy Roy family of knifemaking studliness!!! These knives are all absolutely outstanding and just blow me away!!! Cohutta knives have been getting more and more attention, and for good reason. Blade Show 2018 has also stirred up even more interest on the forum and inquiries about newer offerings. I can attest that the fit, finish, design, ergos, materials, blade grinds, etc....are all spot on! Russell Reece is one hell of an all around great guy and an amazing knife maker!

Thanks to @Cohutta, I had the thought and got Russell's permission to start a wish list thread. He is not currently taking orders but is open to try to accommodate an ongoing wish list for which particular models and specific material choices, etc that are requested on this list. ***THIS IS NOT A GUARANTEE ORDER LIST*** There is no promise as to the order of knives made or any indication of the specific time frame. This is just an attempted solution to help make your requests known to Russell so that he can order materials according to your requests and you can hopefully see more offerings of your favorite models. When requesting a model: please be as specific as you want...model, scale material, tang, liners and pinstripes, etc.

Thanks to some great teamwork by several forum members, (namely R RobbieB ) as well as @Choppaman and Warrior108 Warrior108 and others that have continued to contribute, there is a terrific thread on the current COHUTTA MODEL SPECS (link below). Obviously, with your help more models can be updated to this list as they are acquired.

COHUTTA MODEL SPECS thread (Please share pics of your knives at the link below and it will be helpful to include the model name and specs):
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/cohutta-model-specs.1569651/

Please let Cohutta know what you are looking for, get on the wish list, and share this thread with other forum members that you think are interested! I hope this will work for everyone! I posted a few of my lucky snags below for inspiration!!! Best regards, and thank you to @Cohutta, and to all of you for all of the support!

2FI0fhb.jpg

Znksgy3.jpg

6eziTZb.jpg

KDDtfMR.jpg

GCGcNqp.jpg

@Cohutta R RobbieB Nbrackett Nbrackett @Choppaman Warrior108 Warrior108 @Luca917 varga49 varga49 Bmurray Bmurray @Scotcha Lady1911 Lady1911 @Tekton @VANCE @Fiddleback @davidl pertinux pertinux @mistwalker @cbach8tw Odaon Odaon jaz322 jaz322 I'm sure that I left many out of those contributing and/or interested so please help me out by sharing this with any members that you think might be already involved or interested and Thx! Also if you are interested in Cohutta, please comment on this thread, give it some momentum and keep it going. @Cohutta please let me know at any time if you want edits. Thx

Last edited:
This is a great idea MTBmonkey MTBmonkey thanks for starting it.

I've had the pleasure of meeting Russell a couple times and can attest to his skill and great-guy-ness. Always enjoy chatting with even though they're often short because of the instances we're hanging out. IE User Weekend and Blade Show.

I do not own a Cohutta knife yet, because I haven't quite found the right one. I think some of his recent models like the Appalachian Skinner and Utility are really great! They're a bit different which I quite like. I had to chance to handle one of his earlier knives at the user weekend, a Conasuga I think? I regret not buying that knife from him at the time...

I also got to handle and see plenty of his work at Blade show, but there was so much going on being my first time there that I didn't stop to really appreciate them for very long. I'm sure if I had, I would have been sold on one of them.

I don't have a personal wish list knife for Russell yet, but I will own one eventually.

Great guy and AWESOME knives. I only have a couple at this time but they truly are my most used and somewhere in the top 4 of most carried.

He already has my wish list, it’s pretty long (and always changing :rolleyes:) so I’ll save space and not post it right now but will definitely post pics as I’m able to pick them up.

I'm a little confused.

What is the advantage of creating a public Wish List, that may or may not have any connection to what @Cohutta might actually make as an individual knife, vs. contacting him directly with "What I'd Like to See" (FOR MEEEEEE implied)-- understanding, of course, that he is not taking custom orders.

If 10-400 people each ask for a different pattern here, and three ask for something similar, does that increase the chances?

And, won't having two threads devoted to pictures of @Cohutta knives lead to neither one being as good a resource as the first already is? The first one is a great go-to, especially since R RobbieB keeps the first post updated with Model pics, and new posts/models are fun to browse within the thread as they are added. :thumbsup: (Thanks again, R RobbieB !)

Again, just wondering, and very possibly missing The Point. :)

#myconfusionisreal :oops:

~ P., currently smitten by the @Cohutta utility, natural and white liners, preferably in a brighter blue, but willing to nick Lady1911 Lady1911 's in a pinch. o_O

I'm a little confused.

What is the advantage of creating a public Wish List, that may or may not have any connection to what @Cohutta might actually make as an individual knife, vs. contacting him directly with "What I'd Like to See" (FOR MEEEEEE implied)-- understanding, of course, that he is not taking custom orders.

If 10-400 people each ask for a different pattern here, and three ask for something similar, does that increase the chances?

And, won't having two threads devoted to pictures of @Cohutta knives lead to neither one being as good a resource as the first already is? The first one is a great go-to, especially since R RobbieB keeps the first post updated with Model pics, and new posts/models are fun to browse within the thread as they are added. :thumbsup: (Thanks again, R RobbieB !)

~ P., currently smitten by the @Cohutta utility, natural and white liners, preferably in a brighter blue, but willing to nick Lady1911 Lady1911 's in a pinch. o_O
I think the idea is more exposure for Russell's work. There really no reason not to just send him a message with your desires, but then others won't be able to copy you! :p

Where's Big Deal Bob?! I figured he'd already be pushing for a group buy of a Cohutta model. Haha!

I'm a little confused.

It works pretty good over on Allen’s page. It gives the maker an idea of what is wanted but doesn’t lock either party into anything.

I think the idea is more exposure for Russell's work. There really no reason not to just send him a message with your desires, but then others won't be able to copy you! :p

Where's Big Deal Bob?! I figured he'd already be pushing for a group buy of a Cohutta model. Haha!

All to the good. :)

And as far as Group Buys...? I'm all for 'em. The first two @Fiddleback forays featured patterns that are not in my immediate target zone, but I love the format and the implied -- and seemingly realized!-- opportunity to avail oneself of a desired pattern/appointments, within a very generous range of options.

They also help maintain/sustain the in-forum interest and energy that formerly characterized Fiddleback Fridays. :thumbsup:

It works pretty good over on Allen’s page. It gives the maker an idea of what is wanted but doesn’t lock either party into anything.

Aha! I am not familiar with this concept and how it translates into matchups between Wish List and Actual Knives (obv :rolleyes:); thanks (all) for bearing with my flailing. :)

~ P.

No worries pertinux pertinux . Sorry for the confusion. You always ask good questions. You have been a longstanding contributor and one of the best members in the Bladeforums Fiddleback community!

My understanding is that Russell ultimately wants to make your requested knife for you!

These are not his words but I believe this whole wish list idea is just one of many ways to help a knife maker deal with the following:
1. It establishes an informal way to communicate directly to the maker without obligating either party
2. It gives the maker a general sense of which designs are working or appealing currently
3. It gives direction for the maker as whether to scale up or down production on a particular model
4. It helps direct future models and design to accommodate changing trends in requests
5. It helps determine which materials (scales, steels, sizes, liners, etc) and how much to buy for inventory
6. It helps plan for variances in operating and production expenses based on demand of model and materials
7. It serves as inspiration and helps potential buyers become familiar with what others are requesting
8. And last but not least, hopefully?? it helps prevent headaches on both sides, where the knifemaker is overbooked, long wait lists, buyer's deposit commitment and angrily waiting, changing trends and changing minds and requests during the wait, changing finances for the buyer or seller, material backorders, exhausting back and forth emails,....blah blah...

In my experience, the wish lists with other makers has been very favorable and I have successfully been able to get my knives from makers that have had closed books the entire time, sometimes for years. Lucky for me! Anyways, sorry for the confusion and please PM me if there is something that I could do to make this work better for you! Thanks so much.

That scandi bushcraft classic in DIW :eek: Where was that when i was standing in front of your table (about a dozen different times) last weekend mr. COHUTTA?! Like they say, timing is everything. Beautiful knife mtb, and great thread!

Well, despite being right-handed myself, I'd be happy to own a left-handed version of either of these:

Mini Micro Strebig- Buckeye burl - black liners w/white pinstripes - 3/32" CPM154

Conasauga in one of the following:
  • Philellow burlap - black bolsters (stopping midway between first and second set of pins) - black liners - 5/32" CPM154, TT
  • Oatmeal burlap - natural bolsters (stopping midway between first and second set of pins) - natural liners - 5/32" CPM154, TT

Last edited:
Conasauga in one of the following:
  • Philellow burlap - black bolsters (stopping midway between first and second set of pins) - black liners - 5/32" CPM154, TT
  • Oatmeal burlap - natural bolsters (stopping midway between first and second set of pins) - natural liners - 5/32" CPM154, TT

Another display of good taste, indeed; no Halfsie Handles here. o_O

[Goes to look up "Conasauga".]

~ P.

I cannot stress enough what an absolute joy it was to meet and speak to Russell at the Blade Show. Don’t feel bad, jaz322 jaz322 — it seems that I also “missed” a few of his offerings on my first pass by his table! Or maybe he was just holding out on us... :D I finally got to handle all the Strebigs (don’t read too much into that, @Choppaman ;) ), and I liked them quite a bit, with the Mini slightly edging out the full-size version.

I’d love to see the following:
— Patch with osage in 3/32”, natural liners and white stripes (perhaps Scandi) to match my Utility and Toccoa

— Shiloh with Osage in 3/32”, natural and white, TT, slim handles

— Chipmunk (!!) with maple or buckeye burl, natural liners and BLUE pinstripes, 3/32”, high grind

— Midge (is this still an option?) with buckeye burl, natural liners, blue stripes, 3/32”

AACC2F81-BF52-4352-BBBD-2126CB67D9D0.jpeg

Last edited:
My new favorite @Cohutta showed up this weekend and man do I love it:D. The Micro Strebig in Osage over Natural/Blue 3/32 TT! Russell is killing it!
f4i6Za0.jpg

Did I say tapered tang:eek: Wow it is super thin!!
fVcVOP8.jpg

Family Photo (Strebig Osage over Natural/Blue 1/8 TT, Mini Strebig Bocote over Natural/Lime 3/32 SFT, and the Micro)
pqRA9RL.jpg

And Now Perhaps We Can Move On to the "Wish LIST..ing

I really like to see these two show up for me in this configuration The Baby Bear-pen [does this mean there's a mamma or daddy or big version??] and a Chipmunk.. If I can't get either in DIW. [But I really Do want them in DIW] then preferably nothing Green or Orange with regards to scales...Now that new Navy shade tree;)

Last edited:
Back