COHUTTA WISH LIST*****

Just want to say that I really appreciate everyone’s support! It was great meeting and talking with some of you at BLADE.
No worries pertinux pertinux . Sorry for the confusion. You always ask good questions. You have been a longstanding contributor and one of the best members in the Bladeforums Fiddleback community!

My understanding is that Russell ultimately wants to make your requested knife for you!

These are not his words but I believe this whole wish list idea is just one of many ways to help a knife maker deal with the following:
1. It establishes an informal way to communicate directly to the maker without obligating either party
2. It gives the maker a general sense of which designs are working or appealing currently
3. It gives direction for the maker as whether to scale up or down production on a particular model
4. It helps direct future models and design to accommodate changing trends in requests
5. It helps determine which materials (scales, steels, sizes, liners, etc) and how much to buy for inventory
6. It helps plan for variances in operating and production expenses based on demand of model and materials
7. It serves as inspiration and helps potential buyers become familiar with what others are requesting
8. And last but not least, hopefully?? it helps prevent headaches on both sides, where the knifemaker is overbooked, long wait lists, buyer's deposit commitment and angrily waiting, changing trends and changing minds and requests during the wait, changing finances for the buyer or seller, material backorders, exhausting back and forth emails,....blah blah...

In my experience, the wish lists with other makers has been very favorable and I have successfully been able to get my knives from makers that have had closed books the entire time, sometimes for years. Lucky for me! Anyways, sorry for the confusion and please PM me if there is something that I could do to make this work better for you! Thanks so much.
This sums up the purpose of this thread, and even though I may not chime in that often, I am listening and taking notes!

Well, despite being right-handed myself, I'd be happy to own a left-handed version of either of these:

Mini Strebig - Buckeye burl - black liners w/white pinstripes - 3/32" CPM154

Conasauga in one of the following:
  • Philellow burlap - black bolsters (stopping midway between first and second set of pins) - black liners - 5/32" CPM154, TT
  • Oatmeal burlap - natural bolsters (stopping midway between first and second set of pins) - natural liners - 5/32" CPM154, TT
After seeing knives in Oatmeal burlap the past two Fridays, I’d have to say I prefer that over Philellow.

I'm bringing my responses to the following over here, so as to not clutter (dilute?) @Cohutta's Congratulations Thread. :)

Congratulations, Russell C Cohutta -- and well done once again, Andy. :)

~ P.
whose first Cohutta is due tomorrow. :cool:

Yes, pertinux pertinux .....don’t keep us in suspense!

Which model?!? We must know. :D

Why, it's the best pattern, in the perfect colors*! Of course. o_O

*Do I really need to type this out...?

Wait, it seems I'm forgetting something.

Oh! Right:

You're welcome. :D

~ P.

Another Toccoa, or a Micro Strebig
01 steel
Spalted Maple scales
Blue liners

Because I'm weird.

Was just going to ask why O2 rather than O1 (the added tungsten is a plus, no?) never mind why any of the O‘s over A2 and noticed that the original post says O2 while the quote shows O1???
That IS weird.

ETA: Edit must’ve occurred while I was writing. Got it.

Last edited:
???
What’s going on here?
Was just going to ask why O2 rather than O1 (the added tungsten is a plus, no?) never mind why any of the O‘s over A2 and noticed that the original post says O2 while the quote shows O1???
That IS weird.

ETA: Edit must’ve occurred while I was writing. Got it.

Yup. A bit of confusion on my part. I meant 01 from the start. I wasn't paying attention to my keyboarding!

I own two of Russell's knives. Sort of.

A spectacular Toccoa in ironwood with blue liners. A2. I was wearing it all day today. And pretty much every day. It's perfect.

And a beautiful one that my son grabbed up at the last Trackrock. I think it's a Mod1. I don't remember. Osage scales.
01 steel. Gawd it's nice! Every time he comes to visit and has it on I try to get it from him. So far my efforts have failed.

Bushcraft Classic w/DIW over natural liners and blue pinstripes. Scandi on 3/32 O1 (spalting on the flats)

Tellico w/ DIW over natural liners and blue pinstripes. Convex on 3/32 spalted O1 steel, TT.

Last edited:
I know that some makers only work with O1 and do a very fine job with it (HT etc)
Where a maker offers A2 (and has the HT down), why would you choose O1 over that option?
My understanding: both are very fine grained, are similarly tough and hold an edge reasonably well, and both polish very nicely. O1 is more prone to rust.
Just curious.
Tekton Tekton Luca917 Luca917 ?

I know that some makers only work with O1 and do a very fine job with it (HT etc)
Where a maker offers A2 (and has the HT down), why would you choose O1 over that option?
My understanding: both are very fine grained, are similarly tough and hold an edge reasonably well, and both polish very nicely. O1 is more prone to rust.
Just curious.
Tekton Tekton Luca917 Luca917 ?

I prefer the patina that O1 will take, and it's dry enough here where I live that I've had no issues with rust at all.
I also love the way O1 takes to a strop. I like A2 as well, it's just that I have lots in A2 already!

^Thanks!
Have limited experience with O1. Would’ve imagined that, with similarly fine grain, both would achieve a similarly fine/crisp edge on the strop.
Interesting.
I live in the NE with high humidity, so A2 for me...

And a Utility with Bocote and thick OD green liners. Or natural and blue liners... (Just don't make all three for me at the same time! I need time to fund them!)

Back