1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 29 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Ron Flaherty Folder , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

COHUTTA WISH LIST*****

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by MTBmonkey, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Tekton

Tekton

Mar 8, 2015
    Oh and be sure to use a mosaic pin on those as well

Oyster likes this.
  2. pertinux

pertinux

Feb 1, 2012
    Hear, hear!

[​IMG]

O1 is one of my favorite steels, for the reasons you mention above (although I'd add 'and/or sharpening surface' after "hone"). I especially love how quickly and well it forms patina. A2 changes with use, but -- to my eyes, so far-- mostly just ends up looking sorta dirty.

[​IMG]
    Fiddleback Forge Sylvrfalcen in A2
    Cohutta Utility in A2
    Freeman Forge Pocket Muk in O1

O'course, the Pocket Muk is sorta dirty*-- it doesn't have the length to tackle apples, but I don't let that stop me and now notice I need to attend to the area where the blade meets the handle. o_O

* The Utility may or may not be uncleaned as well. But hey, it's in use! :D

BUT, I love the O1's deepening battleship gray, the ready character of use. I've used the 'falcen a LOT, and see? It looks... uncleaned. Extra-points for how well A2 takes spalting, however!

I wonder if one of the challenges with O1 is marketing/selling O1 knives at the established pricepoints...? Not because of actual value, but because people are silly.

Have I mentioned how much I love O1?

~ P.

3. Cohutta

Cohutta

Feb 17, 2017
    I have to agree with the folks that love O1 for the same reasons. It’s one of my favorite steels to use and work with. But the knife market is a strange beast when it comes to steel choices. Some love the high carbon steels, others want the stainless super steels. A2 seems to be a happy medium. It still takes a nice patina with a little bit of work and sharpens relatively easily, but has quite a bit more corrosion resistance than O1 in my experience.

Tekton, Lady1911 and Oyster like this.
  4. pertinux

pertinux

Feb 1, 2012
    Could you please elaborate on “a little bit of work,” specific to developing patina on A2? Thx!

~ P.

Oyster likes this.
  5. Cohutta

Cohutta

Feb 17, 2017
    Just that it takes a little more use to develop. A2 will never turn the uniform dark grey that O1 does (or I haven’t seen it if it does) but it will take on darker spots and the blues, purples, and yellow colors. Just takes time and a lot of use

6. Oyster

Oyster Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 2, 2011
    I’m really liking the Utility...! On my list... after the Micro Strebig

Also, someone should pick up the Mod 1 in DIW and the MTT Jr. in ABW over at OTC. Both of them are stunners.

Coach23 and Cohutta like this.
  7. Choppaman

Choppaman Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2017
  8. adequacy

adequacy Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2014
    To add to the O1 vs A2 argument!!....

O1 in my experience has a bit higher sharpness ceiling..

O1 will also throw sparks from flint, quartz, chert, obsidian, etc in the field if you need to. A2 not as much.

Tekton, Lady1911 and Nbrackett like this.
  9. David L

David L Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 8, 2018
    It took me a long time to think about this but here goes. This leaves the door open for some creative expression for you Russell if you want but if that feels like work my #1 pick is in blue below and #2 in red. Truly any of these below would be awesome to me!

Edited 10/10/18 - Ignore below I now have a Mountaintown Jr.

Mountaintown Jr. - Blade must measure 3.5" or under and I really only like white pinstripes

Oatmeal Burlatex - with Snakewood or Thuya Burr or Curly Koa or Ironwood Burl bolster (stopping 1/3 the distance past second pin set and third pin) thick natural liners, beauty mark, 1/8" TT - spalted O1
    or
    Snakewood or Thuya Burl or Curly Koa or Ironwood Burl - with black micarta bolster (stopping midway between first and second set of pins) and matching thick black liners, beauty mark, 1/8" TT - spalted O1
    or
    Buckeye Burl (grey smoky) or Bloodwood or Snakewood - with black liners and white pinstripes, 1/8" TT - plain O1

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    Coach23, Lady1911, Cohutta and 2 others like this.
  10. Kalsu

Kalsu Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 26, 2010
    I would love to see a Mountaintown Jr. in 3/32" or TT 1/8" with O1 (first choice) or A2 steel. Desert ironwood handles with natural liners and blue pinstripe.

pertinux, Tekton and Choppaman like this.
  11. Oyster

Aug 2, 2011
    Same, except Mountaintown EDC

Edit: never mind. I want one just like the one @VANCE has... love the black pins and lanyard tube

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    pertinux, VANCE and Choppaman like this.
  12. Kalsu

Oct 26, 2010
    Or Osage with the same liner/pinstripe combo.

I am trying to find the picture of the one @VANCE has. I just saw it a little while ago but cant find it again o_O

13. Oyster

Aug 2, 2011
    I saw it on his IG page

14. Kalsu

Oct 26, 2010
    I saw it here in a post. I just can't seem to find it again. That is the picture that got me starting to look at the Mountaintown Jr.

15. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    Mountaintown Jr
    Mountaintown EDC

[​IMG]

MTBmonkey, Cohutta, Choppaman and 4 others like this.
  16. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    this EDC makes me miss using O1
    it starts to show the story of the knife from the very first day
    I want all my Cohootas to be O1 @Cohutta

pertinux, Cohutta, Choppaman and 5 others like this.
  17. David L

Feb 8, 2018
    @VANCE that MT jr is sweeeet! I too want more knives in O1!

18. Kalsu

Oct 26, 2010
    I really like the Mountaintown EDC @VANCE . I totally agree with wanting more knives in O1 steel.

Lady1911, pertinux and Choppaman like this.
  19. Cohutta

Cohutta

Feb 17, 2017
    I’ve actually been thinking about doing more O1. It’s always a tough call because you have folks that love carbon steels, and others that love stainless. It’s hard to find a balance

Coach23, MTBmonkey, Lady1911 and 3 others like this.
  20. David L

Feb 8, 2018
    Mountaintown - 1/8" - TT - O1

Edited 11/3/18 - Ignore below I now have a Mountaintown

Wood Bolsters
    1. OD micarta - with Curly Koa or Snakewood bolsters (stopping 1/3 past the second set of pins and before the last pin) and thick matching liners, with beauty mark
    2. Oatmeal Burlap - with Curly Koa bolsters (stopping 1/3 past the second set of pins and before the last pin) and thick natural liners, with beauty mark

Micarta Bolsters
    1. Curly Koa or Snakewood or Bog Oak or Bocote or Thuya Burl - with OD micarta bolsters (stopping midway between first and second set of pins) and thick matching liners
    2. Snakewood or Curly Koa or Bloodwood or - with black micarta bolsters (stopping midway between first and second set of pins) and thick matching liners, with beauty mark

Wood
    1. Curly Koa - with natural liners and white pinstripes
    2. Snakewood - with black liners and white pinstripes

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    Choppaman likes this.