COHUTTA WISH LIST*****

I prefer the patina that O1 will take....

...I also love the way O1 takes to a strop.

Hear, hear!

toast.gif~original

O1 is one of my favorite steels, for the reasons you mention above (although I'd add 'and/or sharpening surface' after "hone"). I especially love how quickly and well it forms patina. A2 changes with use, but -- to my eyes, so far-- mostly just ends up looking sorta dirty.

JkC2Ssu.jpg

Fiddleback Forge Sylvrfalcen in A2
Cohutta Utility in A2
Freeman Forge Pocket Muk in O1

O'course, the Pocket Muk is sorta dirty*-- it doesn't have the length to tackle apples, but I don't let that stop me and now notice I need to attend to the area where the blade meets the handle. o_O

* The Utility may or may not be uncleaned as well. But hey, it's in use! :D

BUT, I love the O1's deepening battleship gray, the ready character of use. I've used the 'falcen a LOT, and see? It looks... uncleaned. Extra-points for how well A2 takes spalting, however!

I wonder if one of the challenges with O1 is marketing/selling O1 knives at the established pricepoints...? Not because of actual value, but because people are silly.

Have I mentioned how much I love O1?

~ P.

I have to agree with the folks that love O1 for the same reasons. It’s one of my favorite steels to use and work with. But the knife market is a strange beast when it comes to steel choices. Some love the high carbon steels, others want the stainless super steels. A2 seems to be a happy medium. It still takes a nice patina with a little bit of work and sharpens relatively easily, but has quite a bit more corrosion resistance than O1 in my experience.

Could you please elaborate on “a little bit of work,” specific to developing patina on A2? Thx!

~ P.
Just that it takes a little more use to develop. A2 will never turn the uniform dark grey that O1 does (or I haven’t seen it if it does) but it will take on darker spots and the blues, purples, and yellow colors. Just takes time and a lot of use

I’m really liking the Utility...! On my list... after the Micro Strebig

Also, someone should pick up the Mod 1 in DIW and the MTT Jr. in ABW over at OTC. Both of them are stunners.

To add to the O1 vs A2 argument!!....

O1 in my experience has a bit higher sharpness ceiling..

O1 will also throw sparks from flint, quartz, chert, obsidian, etc in the field if you need to. A2 not as much.

It took me a long time to think about this but here goes. This leaves the door open for some creative expression for you Russell if you want but if that feels like work my #1 pick is in blue below and #2 in red. Truly any of these below would be awesome to me!

Edited 10/10/18 - Ignore below I now have a Mountaintown Jr.

Mountaintown Jr. - Blade must measure 3.5" or under and I really only like white pinstripes

Oatmeal Burlatex - with Snakewood or Thuya Burr or Curly Koa or Ironwood Burl bolster (stopping 1/3 the distance past second pin set and third pin) thick natural liners, beauty mark, 1/8" TT - spalted O1
or
Snakewood or Thuya Burl or Curly Koa or Ironwood Burl - with black micarta bolster (stopping midway between first and second set of pins) and matching thick black liners, beauty mark, 1/8" TT - spalted O1
or
Buckeye Burl (grey smoky) or Bloodwood or Snakewood - with black liners and white pinstripes, 1/8" TT - plain O1

Last edited:
I would love to see a Mountaintown Jr. in 3/32" or TT 1/8" with O1 (first choice) or A2 steel. Desert ironwood handles with natural liners and blue pinstripe.

Or Osage with the same liner/pinstripe combo.

I am trying to find the picture of the one VANCE VANCE has. I just saw it a little while ago but cant find it again o_O

Mountaintown - 1/8" - TT - O1

Edited 11/3/18 - Ignore below I now have a Mountaintown

Wood Bolsters
1. OD micarta - with Curly Koa or Snakewood bolsters (stopping 1/3 past the second set of pins and before the last pin) and thick matching liners, with beauty mark
2. Oatmeal Burlap - with Curly Koa bolsters (stopping 1/3 past the second set of pins and before the last pin) and thick natural liners, with beauty mark

Micarta Bolsters
1. Curly Koa or Snakewood or Bog Oak or Bocote or Thuya Burl - with OD micarta bolsters (stopping midway between first and second set of pins) and thick matching liners
2. Snakewood or Curly Koa or Bloodwood or - with black micarta bolsters (stopping midway between first and second set of pins) and thick matching liners, with beauty mark

Wood
1. Curly Koa - with natural liners and white pinstripes
2. Snakewood - with black liners and white pinstripes

Last edited:
Back