Cold Steal: Magnum Kukri Machete first impressions

Well the CS Magnum Kukri machete I bought a few months back finally got a work out.

My moms place was getting over run by burrs and thistles and out of 10 acres 1 1/2 was pretty bad.

I started with a two handed old fashioned scythe but found that it needs a bit of space to work and had a bit of trouble hitting the 2-3 inch thick stalks of large burr bushes, it zipped thru thistles like crazy tho.

So out came the Magnum Kukri

The handle gave no blisters over about 5 hours of heavy use although I did use gloves (probably a bit abrasive for non glove extended use will likely wear in though). Nice secure grip, never felt like I was going to have it fly away.

I started with the blade edge stock (very rough ) it cut "okay", after a few hours gave it a free hand touch up with single cut file and it began cutting "well" on the thistles and burrs. I am sure with a bit more work I could get this cutting "good" to "excellent"

I swapped with my brother for his 20ish inch Gavillan machete and preffered the cold steal Magnum Kuk.

The Cold Steal machete material seems quite tough, I dinged numerous rocks , a brick, and a barn foundation with very little blade damage ( expected much worse after each impact) , what little damage came out easily with the file.

I discovered the Kuk shape to make a nice "brush hook" when flipped over for carrying burr bushes to the burn pile , saved me getting my hands in them and the back from less bending over.

The cordura sheath is a waste of hair and teeth.

Overall the CS Magnum Kuk impressed me for the 20 odd bucks I paid and its performance over a heavy 5 hour use session to the point I plan on buying another for the truck, will just need to build a decent sheath for it.

A

Their machetes & kukri's are good deals for the money,i have the std & magnum kukri & they work fine,especialy on saplings.i'm waiting for one of their short bowie machetes, that looks pretty good for clearing & chopping brush,too.;)

Good to know. Thanks for the report.

"Cold Steal: Magnum Kukri Machete first impressions" (post title) ;-) watch out:) little mistakes cause big troubles.

Good that you're satisfied.I bought mine two months ago,put some wooden grip wrapped in paracord,made leather sheath sharpen it and gone disappointed.On light brush it was OK but when I went on old hornbeam,after some 20 blows it warped.Not much but it did,and edge needed resharpen.So I put it in a vise and straighten it again,sharpen it hanged it on the wall.After your review I`ll give it another chance,with some softer woods though.

I bought their mini-Kukri some time ago as a factory second off the website. This version is no longer made, which is a shame, as it is an ideal size for a BOB or 3 day pack.

I have used it extensively on the dense bush at the bottom of my yard and it has held up admirably. The edge does have to be cleaned up and given a light coating of grease if cutting sap-heavy plants though, or it will rust.

After one heavy session I did sustain some blisters to the hand from the Kraton but the design of the grip and the rubber offer excellent retention.

For what I paid it is the ideal hard-use bundu bashing blade. The sheath aint bad at all on mine...

Back