Cold Steel 2021 New Knives

You can only when you manufacture your own knife and you have a team of people assembling the different combination of custom order on-demand. Coldsteel doesn’t make their own knife so this is going to be pretty hard to execute. Not to mention I suspect different models are made by different manufacturers across within Taiwan and China.

The other challenge is the amount of SKUs this is going to create for the different color/materials of the handle and blade part. Again, very costly to maintain unless you own the manufacturing facility.

Even if you have the above, in order to make it financially feasible, you’ll need to have enough volume to have a decent margin, so you can only do it for very few very popular models. Which mean you need to have a very popular and enduring classic model, like the benchmade griptilian, bugout, Spyderco paramilitary 2, para 3 etc. Unfortunately IMO CS has not produced any “enduring classic” design in recent years, most of the new folder models are either very niche or get discontinued very quickly.

TL;DR - it’s not easy setting up a factory custom shop for folders, unless CS does vertical integration, like Benchmade, which requires a lot of capital.

You guys with your details and complications, I just wants muh knife the way I wants it.

Last edited:
You guys with your details and complications, I just muh knife the way I wants it.
hey, you asked why it's so hard *shrug*

you can always mod ur knife, but too bad the aftermarket parts offering for CS knife is abysmal. I guess it's too risky to make parts for weird edgy designs that get discontinued after a couple years. i asked Flytanium and some other makers if they'll make aftermarket scale/clip for CS, and the answers were always quick "NO". Not even "maybe" or "don't know".

The inexplicable fascination with blade steels seems to rage on judging by the comments above. [ If steel nerds ever had a girlfriend would they be more interested in her DNA than her t_ts and a_ _? ] I only care about fit and finish and, above all, great designs. I'd love to see some more unique XL folders like the Kris voyager and the Kris Ti-lite. Failing that I'd to see an XL version of the Immortal, a serrated Rajah 2, a serrated large Luzon with a green handle to more accurately represent the segmented "bamboo" handle, an XL spearpoint Recon 1 folder to complement the XL Recon 1 tanto and XL Recon 1 clip point... I could go on but I'll stop there for now.

didn't a Canadian dealer or some dealer did one in a recon 1, I think it was. i say Canadian as for some reason it was hard to get here and sold out real quick, i seem to remember. was a really great version......im amazed no dealer here has done this yet.....

yeah recon 1, lawman would be great. even a lawman in a slightly bigger blade version id dig on. id be all over that......if they would sand the finish under the clip and not have it so tight it takes 2 hands to put in your pocket.:)
I think that it was Warriors and Wonders out of Vancouver that got those Recon 1's. I've been buying from them for years.

While I'm always excited to see new blades, I have somewhat tempered my expectations for the 2021 releases from, well, everybody given everything going on. I think popular models that were discontinued coming back and current models with a few new bells and whistles are probably the order of the day.
I saw one 2020 shipment to my preferred vendor this summer, then nothing. I was heavy into the metal detecting at the time and kept a casual eye on arrivals, as I expected the typical second shipment to come in after the first batch rush buying. But contact with the store staff has them unsure of another shipment. I'm guessing that Covid world wide is really screwing things up.

I think you guys will be pretty happy, but I've been wrong before. Guess we'll see!

Looking forward to the announcement. It will prove interesting regardless.

I was planning to buy an A2 Trailmaster and Kukhri, but I went with some Bark River (and a pair of shockingly nice Condors) instead. I was also really excited about the Black Bear Classic but now I doubt I will buy one. The thrill and excitement is kinda gone on that one now.

I did still buy too many knives from you guys this last year, and I have plans for more

2 things. First something with a wharncliffe. Recon 1, Voyager, American Lawman all would be great. Hoping with the 2 Sax blades that came out this year that maybe a wharncliffe folder will happen.The other is to stop using the Secure Ex for fixed blade sheaths. Sadly do not consider getting any Cold Steel fixed blades anymore unless I know I can get a aftermarket sheath. Think the dulling problem varies from knife to knife but have a Kubon that will dull after 3 times of going in and out of the sheath. Shanghi Warror that is slightly better but now great. Even Demko said on the KnifeJunkie podcast that there was a problem with the sheaths dulling the AUS 8 so CS knows it is a problem.

I prefer the "satin" or stone wash to DLC or whatnot look, or wish you could have that as an option for those blades like the Recon 1, ect.. not that theres anything wrong with the diamond coating, it's just the blades look nicer. As I have a Lawman that had the teflon coating removed when I bought it, as it was flimsey anyway, and it's one of my favorite knives.

So right Houlahound, as the former CS mod said - "Guess we'll see !". I don't think he knew at the time the significance of that statement !

I feel sorry for the mod dutifully repping the company. The company couldn't even bother to show the mod the most basic courtesy of a briefing of what's about to go down.

Thanks to the mod here for keeping this little corner of the internet going for so long. I guess it's over - whatever I guess.

Back