Cold Steel 26T Oyabun Folding Knife

Interesting concept, but I would pay a little more for a better steel than 4034. Is this the new philosophy for their knives? It is easy to sharpen and it is a true stainless, but it is still low end and a HRC 52-54 is not what I am looking for. Not ready to write off Cold Steel yet but......

s-l1600.jpg

Interesting concept, but I would pay a little more for a better steel than 4034. Is this the new philosophy for their knives? It is easy to sharpen and it is a true stainless, but it is still low end and a HRC 52-54 is not what I am looking for. Not ready to write off Cold Steel yet but......

View attachment 1542262
Haven t even noticed this in the line up. But 4034 steel at an hrc 52-54. I bet it is easy to sharpen.

No need to get this one.

:) So if you want a better version and are willing to pay $$$ : https://www.coldsteel.com/oyabun-limited/#productView-description-ph :eek:

Better materials , but I'm not thrilled with the slide lock thing and certainly not going to pay MAP in any case . :(:thumbsdown:
Interesting to me as a concept but not interested in buying the real thing. Not sure how the Kraton would last pulling it out of your pocket with the clip exerting pressure. Slide lock reminds me of the Hillary Holes on the newer S&W's. Without LT on board anymore I just half ass pay attention to CS anymore. Not getting rid of any of my CS's though. I have pretty much gone over to Spyderco for purchases now(damn they make some really nice knives), the owner is actually on the Forum here and his son is involved in it day to day too so I am sure the company will be consistent for a long time. Sal has said he has no plans to sell and his son concurs(of course anything can happen but nice to hear).

Interesting to me as a concept but not interested in buying the real thing. Not sure how the Kraton would last pulling it out of your pocket with the clip exerting pressure. Slide lock reminds me of the Hillary Holes on the newer S&W's. Without LT on board anymore I just half ass pay attention to CS anymore. Not getting rid of any of my CS's though. I have pretty much gone over to Spyderco for purchases now(damn they make some really nice knives), the owner is actually on the Forum here and his son is involved in it day to day too so I am sure the company will be consistent for a long time. Sal has said he has no plans to sell and his son concurs(of course anything can happen but nice to hear).
Spyderco does make some really nice knives and I've got quite a few but unfortunately after moving gingerly into the XL folder category with the Szabo folder and most notably the Tatanka, they've gone scurrying back to the tried and boring four inch max folders [although I freakin love the Euroedge ] In any case the recent cost of their knives is more than I care to spend.

I've not given up on CS yet , but also not buying anything I don't feel is up to par quality and a great value .

Also , still waiting for my back ordered 3V Master Hunter to arrive, back in stock .

It's not like it's a custom , handmade item . I can wait ...most customers these days won't .

Spyderco does make some really nice knives and I've got quite a few but unfortunately after moving gingerly into the XL folder category with the Szabo folder and most notably the Tatanka, they've gone scurrying back to the tried and boring four inch max folders [although I freakin love the Euroedge ] In any case the recent cost of their knives is more than I care to spend.
I mostly pick up their larger knives(have the Euroedge) with liners. Mostly carry CS XL's but occasionally have to go where 4" is max for carry. I find them on the secondary market much much cheaper, especially their vintage ones that I really like.

Was a "nice try " but fell far short of Cold Steel BAFs , IMO . :rolleyes:
I don't compare CS to Spyderco, totally different philososphy IMHO. I like them both, and some Benchmade and the old Gerbers and .......I am just a knife guy that appreciates the different styles and executions. I don't get hung up on brand loyalty anymore, I like what I like. Life is to short, especially at my age:D.

I kinda like it. I'm not paying the price they want for the premium one though. I dont like it that much.:) prefer it was a 3.75" blade, but can live with 3.5"

the cheaper one ill play with for the mid 40s I found it at.

My opinion is that it’s a concept gone wrong. Swing and a miss; close but no cigar.

Yeah, there's something wonky about it to me. No interest.

got one. y'all are right on this one......

16184268000484290319474373688270.jpg
taken next to the ad15 lite as thats something. folks might be familiar with size wise.16184268995723430871147916907830.jpgit's a weird size and well what y'all said.

if it was a 3.75" or 4" blade and handle was kept as small as possible to fit....I think it wouldn't be so weird. as is its thin and weird size. also the stock is very thick. not quite but reminds me of like a sr1 folder kinda thick, so it won't be a good slicer at all either.

Last edited:

View attachment 1545987
taken next to the ad15 lite as thats something. folks might be familiar with size wise.View attachment 1545990it's a weird size and well what y'all said.

if it was a 3.75" or 4" blade and handle was kept as small as possible to fit....I think it wouldn't be so weird. as is its thin and weird size. also the stock is very thick. not quite but reminds me of like a sr1 folder kinda thick, so it won't be a good slicer at all either.
That’s a shame, it could have been a pretty cool knife and deserves to be, given the heritage.

Thanks jbmonkey jbmonkey for showing some comparison pictures.

Last edited:

View attachment 1545987
taken next to the ad15 lite as thats something. folks might be familiar with size wise.View attachment 1545990it's a weird size and well what y'all said.

Thanks for the pictures. I had kinda wanted one, but now not so much. It looks like it doesn't quite know what it wants to be. And I dislike that narrowing tanto blade shape pretty much every time I see it. Thanks again!

Back