Cold Steel AD 10

The AD10 and AD15 seem... unnecessary. The price already seemed high for the brand and the materials, and now the price has gone up another 30-40 bucks.

They’re cool knives with great designs, but they’re missing that balance of price:materials:utility:uniqueness that make a knife desirable to me. I’m obviously in the minority here since they’re sold out nearly universally, but, I don’t see either doing anything my Recon 1 can’t, and that cost me $90 - roughly half of the current retail price for an AD10.

Well, okay, admittedly, the AD10 does have a striking pommel, but I really don’t crush many skulls in my day-to-day life.

Gotta disagree here. Ask someone (like me) who's wanted a Demko A10 for years whether paying a less than a fourth of the price of an actual custom A10 (for a knife that's not a clone) is unnecessary. The A15 fans? I'm sure they're enjoying not paying $650-$750 for one. Also, again, $150 for a giant slab of S35vn sharpened to a crazy edge? The AD10 is a fantastic knife for the money. Frankly, it'd be a fantastic knife at $200. Same with the AD15. You really have to take a step back and see what these two knives are offering.

I absolutely have to say this: I can't believe I'm here defending Cold Steel. LOL

For anyone who wishes Zero Tolerance would return to their original days of making hard use knives of workable, sturdy, NOT flashy materials...I mean, either of these new knives are exactly what you're looking for if you can look past the "Made in Taiwan" situation.

I absolutely have to say this: I can't believe I'm here defending Cold Steel. LOL

For anyone who wishes Zero Tolerance would return to their original days of making hard use knives of workable, sturdy, NOT flashy materials...I mean, either of these new knives are exactly what you're looking for if you can look past the "Made in Taiwan" situation.
Yep. I only recently realized that the closest thing I own to compare to my ZT 0303... is a CS AD-10. In size, weight, and overall design, it's pretty close.

From the comments about the AD10 feeling light for its weight, the knife must be well balanced.

I do understand what Comeuppance says about his Recon1 filling his need for a strong, durable CS model at half the price of the AD10.
I repeat what I mentioned earlier. Cold Steel already makes two knives that I own that would compete well with the AD10, the Recon1 and the Ultimate Hunter. I m sure the AD10 is a fine knife, but I have to decide about getting one.

Gotta disagree here. Ask someone (like me) who's wanted a Demko A10 for years whether paying a less than a fourth of the price of an actual custom A10 (for a knife that's not a clone) is unnecessary. The A15 fans? I'm sure they're enjoying not paying $650-$750 for one. Also, again, $150 for a giant slab of S35vn sharpened to a crazy edge? The AD10 is a fantastic knife for the money. Frankly, it'd be a fantastic knife at $200. Same with the AD15. You really have to take a step back and see what these two knives are offering.

Cold Steel, with the AD10, offers a high value knife, as they typically do.

Look like two pocket bricks/toads. I mean both AD10 and AD15. Or maybe I am missing sth? And whats this raising-the-price-in-the-middle-of-production about? Surprised to see the amount of love CS received in this thread, which is atypical. For the record, I like most CS folders, and Recon 1 cts-xhp is my go-to tough folder.

From the comments about the AD10 feeling light for its weight, the knife must be well balanced.

I do understand what Comeuppance says about his Recon1 filling his need for a strong, durable CS model at half the price of the AD10.
I repeat what I mentioned earlier. Cold Steel already makes two knives that I own that would compete well with the AD10, the Recon1 and the Ultimate Hunter. I m sure the AD10 is a fine knife, but I have to decide about getting one.
From what I’m reading , seeing and hearing about that 3D contoured handle on the AD 10 it might move it up a few notches with that a lone for egos and comfort in hand/use compared to the Recon 1 and Hunter .
Edit: With that being said I’m not saying it justifies getting a Ad10 if one owns any of the above . Really depends on their own needs and wants . Don’t think there is a right or wrong answer to that .

Last edited:

The UH is dimensionally smaller and thinner, both in handle and blade. Plus, another plus for the AD10, they didn't leave the heel of the blade dull like they did on the UH. The AD10 is sharp all the way down to the choil. I have both, and the 10's handle is better sculpted and fills the hand better. It's also more three dimensionally sculpted than the Recon 1. I have all three knives. The Recon 1 IS a great work knife as well, but prefer the AD10 for office/going out because the scales don't rip my pocket hem to shreds. I realize we're talking about some very fine margins. Fact of the matter is that you'll either like it or you won't. Nothing wrong with not liking it, but at the price these cost, they're a great value. It's not like Cold Steel is...say, CRKT or Gerber. They're not known for producing poor quality stuff. I own very few knives not made in America, but 90% of those that I do own made overseas are CS, because it's hard to ignore the value they represent. When I go camping, I'm definitely not taking my nice stuff to beat on.

Edit: I will go take some pics of all three knives for reference. I don't have an AD15, but the other three in discussion, I do. BRB.

My $130 Gayle Bradley 2 can do everything a Sebbie can do for 1/3 of the price but that’s not really the point. I have two Recon 1s. The AD10 is in a different league fit and finish wise. The blade is finished better than any knife I own. If you haven’t seen one......

From what I’m reading , seeing and hearing about that 3D contoured handle on the AD 10 it might move it up a few notches with that a lone for egos and comfort in hand/use compared to the Recon 1 and Hunter .
Edit: With that being said I’m not saying it justifies getting a Ad10 if one owns any of the above . Really depends on their own needs and wants . Don’t think there is a right or wrong answer to that .
I thought the UH wasn't very comfortable in hand, but the AD-10 is the most comfortable folder I own. YMMV

The fact that i paid around $2000AUD for my custom Demko AD10 in M390, and it's now available as a production knife for $140-$180 and you get 90% of what my custom is.....And people are talking about the price being high? Seriously the AD10 is a stronger and more usable knife/tool than so many other marketed "tank" knives out there, you are getting so much knife for the money, and it should outlive us all even with a bit of abuse. The AD10 is an ergonomic dream and the design overall is just a home run. Well done Demko and CS.

Last edited:
The fact that i paid around $2000AUD for my custom Demko AD10 in M390, and it's now available as a production knife for $140-$180 and you get 90% of what my custom is.....And people are talking about the price being high? Seriously the AD10 is stronger and more usable knife/tool than so many other marketed "tank" knives out there, you are getting so much knife for the money, and it should outlive us all even with a bit of abuse. The AD10 is an ergonomic dream and the design overall is just a home run. Well done Demko and CS.
Amen :D

Here we are. Both the Recon 1 and UH are thinner as well:

Does anyone else see a Chinook salmon profile in the AD10? Appears to have a gentle curve along the spine from tip to tail. I'm not a fan of finger grooves on a handle but I like an indexing one like the AD10 has, pretty sexy grind too. Ima haf to look into getting one of em along w/a 15, I'm a fan of the 15 and like the lock but the price of a Demko is hard to justify.

Ultimate Hunter grind changed to a flat grind and now it is sharpened to the heel.
Cold Steel didn't raise the prices of the AD10 and AD15...retailers did. No?
Cold Steel offers more value than most. Recon 1 is great but if you want 3D machined scales and more refinement overall the AD-10 is still a bargain.

The AD10 and AD15 seem... unnecessary. The price already seemed high for the brand and the materials, and now the price has gone up another 30-40 bucks.

They’re cool knives with great designs, but they’re missing that balance of price:materials:utility:uniqueness that make a knife desirable to me. I’m obviously in the minority here since they’re sold out nearly universally, but, I don’t see either doing anything my Recon 1 can’t, and that cost me $90 - roughly half of the current retail price for an AD10.

Well, okay, admittedly, the AD10 does have a striking pommel, but I really don’t crush many skulls in my day-to-day life.

Well, you said it. You are in the minority. No offense, but weren't you also not very impressed by the WE Laconico Keen? That's another knife that has impressed most people including myself.

The fact that i paid around $2000AUD for my custom Demko AD10 in M390, and it's now available as a production knife for $140-$180 and you get 90% of what my custom is.....And people are talking about the price being high? Seriously the AD10 is stronger and more usable knife/tool than so many other marketed "tank" knives out there, you are getting so much knife for the money, and it should outlive us all even with a bit of abuse. The AD10 is an ergonomic dream and the design overall is just a home run. Well done Demko and CS.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on both of these knives (AD-10 and -15). (I don't have either custom but would like both)

Full list for the AD10 = $240 . I rarely pay more than 50% of list for CS and usually less . Just have to be patient .

Cold Steel does not attempt to control the prices , like with Spyderco and others .

I wish that people would quit saying these things! Cold Steel will read it and price stuff accordingly!!

Full list for the AD10 = $240 . I rarely pay more than 50% of list for CS and usually less . Just have to be patient .

Cold Steel does not attempt to control the prices , like with Spyderco and others .
This is old thinking. The new thinking is MAP pricing on many models. It is not going down until it is discontinued.

Back