Cold Steel AD 10

This is old thinking. The new thinking is MAP pricing on many models. It is not going down until it is discontinued.[/QUOTE ]

That's unpleasant news to me ! :(

But if I have to wait until disco'd , so be it .

Well looks like my AD 10 is arriving one day early :D
Can’t wait to get my paws on it tonight!!

My AD 10 just got unboxed and wow what a great knife . Just might be the most comfortable knife in hand I’ve ever owned . It’s impressive from its action , looks,Fit/Finish and ease of use .
This my friends is a home run in my book :thumbsup:
SST86T9.jpg

i received mine today, and while i do think its a great knife, so far i dont think its that much different/better than the ultimate hunter. it does feel a little bit better in the hand than the ultimate hunter, but its not a huge difference for me. in fact seeing them in person side by side, it makes me appreciate the ultimate hunter a lot more. buy them both if you can.

Reactions: whp
i received mine today, and while i do think its a great knife, so far i dont think its that much different/better than the ultimate hunter. it does feel a little bit better in the hand than the ultimate hunter, but its not a huge difference for me. in fact seeing them in person side by side, it makes me appreciate the ultimate hunter a lot more. buy them both if you can.
After receiving the AD 10 I have no desire to get a UH .
With that being said I don’t even have the desire for another knife for a while .
This one should cover all the bases :thumbsup:

Reactions: KVT
Does that mean Ms. XM-24 just got de-throned? :eek:

Maybe I need to check out one of these things.

I had my 0393SW drop shut on my pinky and it just about took the tip off.
That thing is sharp - prolly my sharpest factory edge I’ve ever bought.
I’m bonded to it now as well.

Does that mean Ms. XM-24 just got de-throned? :eek:

Maybe I need to check out one of these things.

I had my 0393SW drop shut on my pinky and it just about took the tip off.
That thing is sharp - prolly my sharpest factory edge I’ve ever bought.
I’m bonded to it now as well.
lol I wouldn’t say it de-throned my 24 it has to much of soul :)
But My AD 10 grabbed a seat right next to it :thumbsup:
Was really surprised how crazy sharp it came out of the box :eek:
The grind on this baby is drop dead gorgeous to !
I’d definitely check this AD-10 right out of your mail box :D

I was surprised by the excellent fit and finish, especially for the price. The Tri-Ad back lock is well done, much better than any I've tried before. The hollow-ground blade enhances the slicing ability, although the edge is 27 thousandths.

Pros:
Excellent fit and finish
Excellent presentation of the Tri-Ad lock
Nice ergonomics when open
Opens easily
Bull nose tip increases strength

Cons:
Mostly a two-handed closer
Plunge line is not radiused, creating a stress riser that weakens the blade
Bull nose tip reduces ability to do fine detail cutting

Carried mine today, glad to see folks enjoying theirs. Definitely one of the best (and by far the cheapest!!!) knives I've bought this year.

I was surprised by the excellent fit and finish, especially for the price. The Tri-Ad back lock is well done, much better than any I've tried before. The hollow-ground blade enhances the slicing ability, although the edge is 27 thousandths.

Pros:
Excellent fit and finish
Excellent presentation of the Tri-Ad lock
Nice ergonomics when open
Opens easily
Bull nose tip increases strength

Cons:
Mostly a two-handed closer
Plunge line is not radiused, creating a stress riser that weakens the blade
Bull nose tip reduces ability to do fine detail cutting
I agree with all your pros but not with your cons . It’s very easy for one hand closing” unless your hand is on the small side “ you just need to make sure your finger is far enough up the handle as I found out and knew but wasn’t paying attention , also depends on how tight your running your piviot screw determines if it’ll free fall or from a little flick as I prefer . I honestly believe under normal use maybe even some light batoning it should hold up just fine and the plunge line shouldn’t cause any weakening in the blade unless your using it as crowbar which you shouldn’t do with any blade . This knife wasn’t designed for fine detail .
Please don’t takes my post the wrong way as I respect your thoughts and opinion :)
Your entitled to your opinion and I’m just stating mine .
What’s most important is you enjoy it to its fullest as am I and hope others are to :thumbsup:

heres mine, they are all new except for the ultimate hunter which ive had for a year or so now. i have to say i like carrying the golden eye tanto most so far, even though the gold on the thumb studs wore off pretty quickly. it was the best bang for buck knife of the lot, i was able to get it for $75 shipped
thumbnail2.jpg

After receiving the AD 10 I have no desire to get a UH .
With that being said I don’t even have the desire for another knife for a while .
This one should cover all the bases :thumbsup:

I feel the same. I have two UH s ,black and orange, and after seeing the similarities in blade shape with the AD10, I m having a hard time pulling the trigger on the AD10. The UH is a great knife.
I m also in a stage where I m having a hard time getting additional knives unless I would sell some of my current accumulation. Probably a temporary state of mind.

Last edited:
heres mine, they are all new except for the ultimate hunter which ive had for a year or so now. i have to say i like carrying the golden eye tanto most so far, even though the gold on the thumb studs wore off pretty quickly. it was the best bang for buck knife of the lot, i was able to get it for $75 shipped
thumbnail2.jpg
Nice picture to allow a comparison for those of us who don t have some of those models yet.

I honestly believe under normal use maybe even some light batoning it should hold up just fine and the plunge line shouldn’t cause any weakening in the blade unless your using it as crowbar which you shouldn’t do with any blade . This knife wasn’t designed for fine detail .

The sharp, right-angle plunge line is definitely a weak point in the blade because it creates a stress riser. I'd agree with you that it's not likely to be a problem unless the knife is used very hard. But this knife is supposed to be a hard-use knife. What's the point of using a super-strong Tri-Ad lock if you design a weakness into the blade? Especially when that weakness is completely unnecessary.

Here's the AD 10 below a Benchmade Rukus 610. Both are hard-use knives. The Rukus is bigger and stronger. Notice how the plunge line is radiused while the AD 10 has a sharp plunge line that will concentrate stress and make the blade far more likely to break at that point.

You can read an excellent analysis about stress risers from Larrin's awesome Knife Steel Nerd website:
https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/04/15/how-stress-risers-lead-to-broken-blades/

2v2ERVaqhxAWtWs.jpg

thumbnail2.jpg
Very nice family reunion :thumbsup:

Back