Recommendation? Cold Steel Air Lite loose blade

Having some issues with my new Cold Steel Air Lite Tanto. on two separate models the blade has been loose and rattily in the handle. the spring/lockbar tension doesn't keep the blade in the handle allowing the tip of the blade to be exposed. I repeat, two separate Air Lite Tantos have had this same issue, I returned the first one and the second arrived with the same issue. with a very light shake you hear and feel the rattling inside the handle and often times the tip of the blade is exposed when closed.

is anyone else having this issue?

i would upload some pics if i could figure out how
Any progress on your end? I think I may have found the problem with mine. I think the lock bar it rubbing on tje scale preventing it from applying full and complete pressure when the blade is closed. Im going to do a little sanding and see what happens.

Has anyone tried taking one scale off to view the insides while cycling?
Yes. I have. It looks functional fine. And the wiggle when the blade is closed is not present with one scale off. I can see and feel the lockbar rubbing on the scale in its almost rested position. When the knife is closed, if I push the lock bar you see it suck the blade in and the is no play. I think the thin g10 isn’t flat and causing resistance.

Cold Steel doesn't listen to anybody,it's the owners playground and your not going to tell him how to swing on his monkey bars,or how much sand he needs in his box.
That's been my understanding so far. None of the feedback here ever seem to get heard. No offense to the CS Rep here, the forum mod is doing a great job engaging with us. But I suspect the company just do whatever the big boss wants, and i seriously question their market research in the folding knives area. Just the simple fact that they refuse to make non-coated knife for some popular models, despite using mostly stainless steel, just because the bossman likes coated stuff for corrosion resistance. I get that It's a private company, and the owner can do whatever he wants, but it's not a good PR or marketing to say "we don't do this because the bossman don't want this, we do that because the bossman wants that". I wonder they are here to serve the consumer or this company mainly cares about making cool toys for their employees and owners.
Also since 2020 announcement, i'l starting to think CS is slowly moving towards being a Sword & Axe company, as well as doing more sport & hunting stuff. I wouldn't be surprise anymore if Cold Steel announce that they are going to stop making folding knives and start making backpack, boat and bikes next year.

My biggest hope for Cold Steel right now is for the Triad Lock patent to run out so that other companies can start making much better designed Triad folders.
Also perhaps Demko leaving and taking his innovation to a more deserving company(not CRKT), who can execute his design better.

I posted in this thread on April 23 that I was experiencing similar problems with my Air Lite. I also
contacted Cold Steel customer service seeking advice on a resolution. They got back to me promptly asking for my address so they could send me something. No other info was forthcoming.

Having heard no more from them I followed up with a pic showing the blade open about a half inch after snapping closed. CS told responded that:

“We sent out a replacement spring for you or you can bend the factory spring a little more and that will resolve the issue.”

I don’t live in the US, so it could be a while before the spring arrives.

My opinions thus far:
Customer Service is responsive, albeit at the economical end of the communication spectrum.
They know of the problem.

In the meantime I pulled the knife apart, inspected it, lubed it and put it back together. There were no signs of wear or rubbing on the insides of the scales or metal parts. I did not bend the spring.

The problem is still apparent.

Tension on the pivot screw is critical. A little too much and the blade binds throughout its arc. A little loose and real blade play in the open position is a problem. Touchiest knife I have encountered in this regard.

I will wait for the new spring and see what happens. I like this knife but something is wrong in the design or construction. First Cold Steel I have had a problem with.

I've modded almost every Cold Steel I own. Once you get into it, you get better at it and it adds to the enjoyment of the knife. These are relatively simple mechanisms. Just bend the spring slightly. If needed, bend slightly more.
I realize that you should not have to modify a new knife but that's just the way it is. Better to solve the problem yourself.
I'm sure Cold Steel will get it sorted on future runs.

I posted in this thread on April 23 that I was experiencing similar problems with my Air Lite. I also
contacted Cold Steel customer service seeking advice on a resolution. They got back to me promptly asking for my address so they could send me something. No other info was forthcoming.

Having heard no more from them I followed up with a pic showing the blade open about a half inch after snapping closed. CS told responded that:

“We sent out a replacement spring for you or you can bend the factory spring a little more and that will resolve the issue.”

I don’t live in the US, so it could be a while before the spring arrives.

My opinions thus far:
Customer Service is responsive, albeit at the economical end of the communication spectrum.
They know of the problem.

In the meantime I pulled the knife apart, inspected it, lubed it and put it back together. There were no signs of wear or rubbing on the insides of the scales or metal parts. I did not bend the spring.

The problem is still apparent.

Tension on the pivot screw is critical. A little too much and the blade binds throughout its arc. A little loose and real blade play in the open position is a problem. Touchiest knife I have encountered in this regard.

I will wait for the new spring and see what happens. I like this knife but something is wrong in the design or construction. First Cold Steel I have had a problem with.

I just fixed mine. After a lot of inspections I realized that if I pushed the lockbar down, just that slight more pressure held the blade in solid. But it wasn’t spring tension, because of what I discovered. The lockbar was being stopped by the larger pin to early when closed. The pin the blade stops on when open. I took a fine diamond stone and started to file the face of the lockbar, the part the contacts the triad lock pin. I kept checking fitment. Finally the lockbar fell on its own with spring tension to where the blade play stopped in the closed position.
Locks up solid when open. Locks solid when closed.
I hope that all made sense.

Update- the knife has been functioning flawlessly. Lock up is solid. Closed position is solid. The knife has smoothed out quite a bit in action when opening and closing.

Update- the knife has been functioning flawlessly. Lock up is solid. Closed position is solid. The knife has smoothed out quite a bit in action when opening and closing.
I just got mine today. Same problem others are having. I was going to contact Cold Steel on Monday, but now I'm debating. If your problem is also mine, I could fix that. Or maybe it's the spring? Not sure what to do now.

I got my replacement today. The previous knife was delivered to the warranty department on 4/23.

I am fairly certain I was sent a new knife, there was a mark on the inside of the spring from the blade touching the spring when the lockbar was pressed in the closed position. Also, the box had one uncut sticker on each end. It exhibits the exact same problem as before, but it at least had the courtesy to only take a minute to show itself this time. The lock bar sits a little proud when this happens. Sounds like I have some tinkering ahead of me, filing the lock face.

I got my replacement today. The previous knife was delivered to the warranty department on 4/23.

I am fairly certain I was sent a new knife, there was a mark on the inside of the spring from the blade touching the spring when the lockbar was pressed in the closed position. Also, the box had one uncut sticker on each end. It exhibits the exact same problem as before, but it at least had the courtesy to only take a minute to show itself this time. The lock bar sits a little proud when this happens. Sounds like I have some tinkering ahead of me, filing the lock face.
That's what I did. I stoned-down my lock face, in an attempt to fix the problem. That fixed the loose-blade problem (essentially). But there is now a noticeable "tick" of vertical blade play when it's open.

The problem is definitely the lock-face rubbing on the stop-pin. Though stoning the face helped, it still has the loose-blade problem if I work the blade back and forth a bunch, then slowly lower it closed. If I lock it open, it "resets" the lock-bar and it will snap closed correctly.

So yes, it's better than it was. But it's not perfect, and now has slight vertical play. It's a shame, because the design is great.

That's what I did. I stoned-down my lock face, in an attempt to fix the problem. That fixed the loose-blade problem (essentially). But there is now a noticeable "tick" of vertical blade play when it's open.

The problem is definitely the lock-face rubbing on the stop-pin. Though stoning the face helped, it still has the loose-blade problem if I work the blade back and forth a bunch, then slowly lower it closed. If I lock it open, it "resets" the lock-bar and it will snap closed correctly.

So yes, it's better than it was. But it's not perfect, and now has slight vertical play. It's a shame, because the design is great.

Sometimes I was getting vertical play. Then I tried the quick fix of lubing the lock face pretty liberally. It lasted for awhile, but I will probably need to do a little material removal.

*Not sure what happened with my 3 identical posts
Good luck then! I really don't understand what's going on with the Air Lite. Even the fit and finish doesn't seem normal CS quality. The action was super rough and grinding feeling when I got it, which I fixed. But it still just doesn't feel or sound quite as quality as my other CS folders. But the design and features are just incredible. I hope someday CS fixes the quality and I can buy another one!

My Air Lite arrived and within few minutes it got the dreaded loose blade. A hard opening fixed it... but the problem still seems to come and go. Lock up is tight, the issue is when closed there is about 1/4" of play where there is no lock bar tension on the blade.

I'll use the knife and if the problem persists I'll mess with the spring bar.

But otherwise it's a great knife.

Back