Cold steel AK47 or Recon 1???

"Neither. Get a Spyderco or ZT with better steel. (You can get AUS8 for 25 USD in a RAT1 or Utitlitac II and for that money those knives are awesome.)" ??? Maybe the guy doesn't have a budget for knives that will cost 2X or more??? OP, I had the older version of the AK and the newer version of the Recon1. Of the two the AK has a short blade that I couldn't warm up to and the Recon1's handle I didn't like. I'll throw in the Voyager for your consideration as it's arguably strong or stronger than the AK and Recon and has the nicer FFG blade. If you can get past the zytel-type handles it's a very nice knife especially for the price point.

I have the recon 1 and it has been a great knife, taken a lot of abuse.

I am not super in love with it and sold it.
In many cases you are correct, but when done in a proper fashion as this knife. Your statement is not at all valid.
I used the pommel with the non knife guys at work for hammering and prying just about anything you can think of when it was all that was in hand.
Along with taking the screws out for cleaning every few weeks. They were not even slightly stripped even with the size of the screws and thread count.
For the 70$ spent on the knife, I was not afraid to let everyone use it and left it in my work bag. More than capable. By far the most useful rambo looking EDC I ever used.

Much much much much smaller threads. I have seen way too many screws tapped into aluminum strip out with little effort compared to what it takes to strip out in steel or titanium. Aluminum doesn't have the same strength as steel or titanium.

Last edited:
I have 2 recons and the talwar. Never pulled the trigger on the AK because of it's high riding pocket clip and the strange looking blade length to handle ratio.

Despite its popularity among some, the AK gets laughed at and criticized for the super tactical look.
I prefer the Recon for its handle material, overall design and the blade profile.
The AUS8 doesn't attract me in the least.

@crom

The Cold Steel AK47 costs around 80 USD. You can buy a nice Spyderco with VG10 for less. Heck, even some nice CPM S30V Spydercos sell for less than that. So I don't know what you're talking about "knives that will cost 2X more"???

I don't know where you're pricing the CS but a popular site named after a mighty river shows it at $65. You told him to look at ZT and the closest ZT is double that easily. Sure you can get some Spydercos that have better steel for $65 but steel type alone is never my deciding factor. Furthermore, the guy was asking about two knives he was pondering, he makes no mention of other choices so why did you feel the need to chime in with your favorite choices? Do you even have any first hand experience with the two CS knives mentioned?

Last edited:
I don't know where you're pricing the CS but a popular site named after a mighty river shows it at $65. You told him to look at ZT and the closest ZT is double that easily. Sure you can get some Spydercos that have better steel for $65 but steel type alone is never my deciding factor. Furthermore, the guy was asking about two knives he was pondering, he makes no mention of other choices so why did you feel the need to chime in with your favorite choices? Do you even have any first hand experience with the two CS knives mentioned?

Prices CS AK47 are from KC and BHQ. As a Dutchman I thought they would be very representative. I have a Recon 1 tanto and a Rajah II and I am very unimpressed with CS' AUS8's edge-retention or AUS8 in general. And around the 80 USD mark there are plenty of VG10 or even S30V Spydercos to choose from. A 0350 can be found for 25 USD more, but I'm sure you can score one on the exchange or second-hand for 80 or 90 USD. And why did I feel the need to chime in with other choices? Simple: because I think he's better off with them. I'm sorry for assuming that recommending knives or suggesting perhaps overlooked options is not appreciated on a thread like this on BladeForums.

Last edited:
Oh please. You came off as dismissive of the CS brand as a whole and it's common for that thing around here. The OP asked about two knives. I don't go into a thread comparing two Spydercos and say "hey, those cheese slicers are nice but what you really want is a bombproof CS knife"

@crom I'm no native speaker. But you were something like "nit-picking" on me. Called me out and I replied with the stores, the current ownership, the experience and the reasons. But whatever. It was just my opinion. I use this forum to ventilate it. I'm sorry for you that you didn't like it.

You can buy a nice Spyderco with VG10 for less. Heck, even some nice CPM S30V Spydercos sell for less than that.

Sure you can get some Spydercos that have better steel for $65 but steel type alone is never my deciding factor.

^this, steel isn't everything. There are a whole bunch of reasons one would pick Recon 1 over an Endura or Manix2 and vice-versa.

steel isn't everything. There are a whole bunch of reasons one would pick Recon 1 over an Endura or Manix2 and vice-versa.
True. It was just a suggestion i.e. my opinion.

Last edited:
Back