Cold Steel Bush Ranger Lite

I just polished the edge on a 29 dollar knife. Like most of us, I have owned numerous ZT knives--which never saw the light of day! Finally the disappointment bothered me enough to sell all of them off to greedy clients.

The knife below is a Cold Steel Bush Ranger Lite. I'm amazed at what I bought for a such a low cost. The blade is flawless, and the factory bevel was one of the best I've seen. Additionally, I found their "sliding lock" to be useful, and it renders this folder as strong as a fixed blade.

If I had a "complaint," it would be the HT. The ricasso clearly states that the alloy is 8Cr13MoV. Yikes, I've polished VG-10 blades that weren't as stiff as this knife!

As one contributor stated, he needed a "tool." And this Cold Steel is an excellent tool.

upload_2020-3-20_12-51-3.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
No clamps go on the blade. I have blue painters tape on the Edge Pro, and then I place white paper over the spine of the knife and secure it with blue tape, as well. No scratches get on the knife, and my clients are real picky.

"Razor sharp, no dings."

upload_2020-3-20_17-35-27.jpeg

No clamps go on the blade. I have blue painters tape on the Edge Pro, and then I place white paper over the spine of the knife and secure it with blue tape, as well. No scratches get on the knife, and my clients are real picky.

"Razor sharp, no dings."

View attachment 1306082
Once you develop your muscle memory you can do it freehand with no clamps, guides or dings! :cool::thumbsup:

Engineers use micrometers, I use a segmented polishing feature. A recent knife article opined that that even a guy whose good at freehand polishing can be off by 2 degrees.

My clients don't like dings in anything. Besides, tape is cheap.

...If I had a "complaint," it would be the HT. The ricasso clearly states that the alloy is 8Cr13MoV. Yikes, I've polished VG-10 blades that weren't as stiff as this knife!

This sentence refers to heat treat, alloy and polish, in that context what do you mean by “stiff”?

Engineers use micrometers, I use a segmented polishing feature. A recent knife article opined that that even a guy whose good at freehand polishing can be off by 2 degrees.

My clients don't like dings in anything. Besides, tape is cheap.
Once you develop the skill, through practice you would be amazed at the accuracy of human hands. 2 degrees is nothing when it comes to the edge of a knife. There is absolutely no discernible difference between 15 and 17 degrees in performance. Wouldn't your clients appreciate a "hand honed" sharpening job? No dings or scratches need be risked.

Once you develop the skill, through practice you would be amazed at the accuracy of human hands. 2 degrees is nothing when it comes to the edge of a knife. There is absolutely no discernible difference between 15 and 17 degrees in performance. Wouldn't your clients appreciate a "hand honed" sharpening job? No dings or scratches need be risked.

if only he could see the handcrafted precision of your world famous soup! Alas, he is no more.

Back