Review Cold Steel Code 4 Tanto

FullMetalJackass

Gold Member
TL,DR : For less than $100, this is an amazing deal if you are into tanto blades.

The hollow grind and the strong V-tip make it great the use. The intersection of the two is strong and perfect to engage into the cutting material.
The aluminum handle was not as slippery as I feared, I had zero issues controlling the knife.

The quality of the anodization is insane, zero marks after a week of carrying in the pocket with the usual contact with the phone, car keys, coins etc.

The slim profile makes it a great EDC but the clip is definitely annoying as it is way too tight. You’ll battle clipping it on a standard jean, and you’ll get definitely pissed off when trying to clip it on any pair of camo-style pants. There are probably aftermarket clips or you can bend it to fit better but as is, it’s not good

There is a lanyard hole if you’re into this like my buddy Kmikaz3 Kmikaz3

The opening is smooth, the notched thumbstuds play their part really well.
Because of the back lock, you won’t flip it open with a strong push of the thumb, but it’s not designed for that! It’s a knife that need both hands to be closed safely.
It definitely makes you appreciate the comfort of a framelock or an Axis lock even more!

Not a single screw got loose after that week.

The CTS-XHP steel chipped a bit on the tip edge, but it was mostly caused by an overzealous sharpening from yours truly – The tip is not meant to be hair popping.
A massage on the Naniwa 600 and 8000 corrected it without any hiccup.

Materials cut: tomatoes, paper, various vegetable, reinforced cardboard, carpet, meat

Build quality: 5/5
Made in Taiwan by talented people

Sharpness: 5/5
Crazy good hollow grind and strong tip

Style: 4.5/5
It’s one good looking tanto, eh?

Ergos: 3.5/5
Backlock is not tacticool and needs both hands for closing, unless you don’t mind losing a digit or two.

Overall: 4.5/5
You will be hard pressed to find better for less than $100

ho2bFcFl.jpg

2khSkjwl.jpg

ROPnV7bl.jpg

Backlock is not tacticool and needs both hands for closing, unless you don’t mind losing a digit or two.
Most Cold Steel folders , including the Code 4 , are deigned to safely stop with only the unsharpened base of the blade against your forward-most finger .

Got to have a forward grip with finger snugged right up next to the pivot .

I own the spear point version and I couldn't agree more with you. Knife is great, clip sucks big time.

BTW I just noticed that the lockbar was sticking up a lot once opened and I noticed there was a lot of lint in the blade notch where the lockbar should engage. I haven't carried it a lot so I don't really know if this knife geometry is more prone to atract crap or not but... be careful!

Mikel

All my dozen or so CS knives have been good value for the money, but the clips on the folders have all been way too tight. I had to take them off and tweak them in a vise a bit to make them usable, an easy fix.

A Code 4 spear point is in my edc/ work rotation. Vey durable, useful knife. Great value for the money.

I have the spear point version and it is an exceptional knife, I genuinely think the Code 4 is an underrated knife series. Incredibly tough and slicy, the 'executive' edition of the Recon 1 family!

After I put a strip of grip tape on either side of the handle, I would give the ergos a 4.5/5. Style 4.75/5. Overall, 4.85 out of 5.0.

No trouble closing it safely one handed.

Last edited:
I got my first Code 4 only weeks ago (got a good deal on a used one from R Ryan Martin ), and made a few changes in the opposite direction from the Tanto. I went for a more neutral handled EDC precision slicer motif. I have since cleaned it up a bit more, but not taken new photos yet., but here is how it looked after most of the work was done:

IMG_2589.JPG
IMG_2590.JPG
IMG_2593.JPG

I like it very much.

Also for me, WTF = will take food. ;)

Interested in the knife. Is it still available?
This is not a sale thread if that's what you are asking.

This knife is still being produced, so you only need to browse a little and you will find it available in many online retailers. If you would like to get a used one for cheaper, then go the Exchange subforums and you might get lucky.

Mikel

Perfect solution. You (whoever needs to) can even do it without a vise, using paracord looped under the clip and a little muscle power. Go slow because bending it back is a little trickier.

Perfect solution. You (whoever needs to) can even do it without a vise, using paracord looped under the clip and a little muscle power. Go slow because bending it back is a little trickier.

I would be extremely carefull doing this as you might strip the threads on the screws or holes in the knife. I am not familiar with the construction of all models in the Cold Steel line but... do all of them go all the way down to the liners in the models with micarta or G10 scales? I am asking because it would not be too dificult to rip the screws from micarta or G10. Aluminium and steel (liners) I guess would be ok.

Also... ANY excuse is GOOD ENOUGH to buy new tools... and everyone should own (at the very least) one bench vise (along with 3 or 4 grinders, that's a given!) 😆

Mikel

I loosen the clips on my Cold Steel knives by putting my thumb on the clip just down from the screws and the bending the distal end of the clip a bit with needle nose pliers. Just a bit at a time. Pretty easy, actually.

Last edited:
I loosen the clips on my Cold Steel knives by puttiong my thumb on the clip just down from the screws and the bending the distal end of the clip a bit with needle nose pliers. Just a bit at a time. Pretty easy, actually.
There's lots of different ways to adjust the CS clips , none are really any big deal , IMO . :):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back