Cold Steel Drop Forge Survivalist sheath mod

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Greetings folks, hope everyone is keeping well out there during this trying time! I picked up the new Cold Steel Drop Forge Survivalist recently and like this version better with the G10 inlay they now have, it is very grippy texture. I did a cotton cord wrap on mine to add to the grip, will see how it handles...pun intended ;)

But the loose type belt loop they provide is less than stellar, so this time round I came up with the idea of including a strap that comes around from the back piece to add a bit more security, as the sheath does retain the knife pretty good, it could come free and this large and sharp a knife it would not be a fun thing to have happen.

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

and the texture is very good on that G10, little spike like things on the surface.

Copper rivet is peened over, I used some mink oil between the leather to help it swivel easier, the belt loop is glued together at the bottom where the rivet goes through making it a stronger belt loop attachment.

While it looks simple enough, it did take a bit of time to make and fitup all the pieces on this, but the end results are great, when you go to sit down you can swing the sheath up easily out of your way.

G2

Last edited:
Clean and classy as always, Gary! A friend of mine who built Shaker furniture once told me that simple, unadorned pieces were the most difficult to do because there was nothing to distract the eye from any mistakes.

Excellent mod, looks store bought ;) - yes that is a compliment :) Very nicely done G2 :thumbsup:
A very fine upgrade.

Clean and classy as always, Gary! A friend of mine who built Shaker furniture once told me that simple, unadorned pieces were the most difficult to do because there was nothing to distract the eye from any mistakes.

thanks, that certainly rings true!
G2

Greetings folks, hope everyone is keeping well out there during this trying time! I picked up the new Cold Steel Drop Forge Survivalist recently and like this version better with the G10 inlay they now have, it is very grippy texture. I did a cotton cord wrap on mine to add to the grip, will see how it handles...pun intended ;)

But the loose type belt loop they provide is less than stellar, so this time round I came up with the idea of including a strap that comes around from the back piece to add a bit more security, as the sheath does retain the knife pretty good, it could come free and this large and sharp a knife it would not be a fun thing to have happen.

and the texture is very good on that G10, little spike like things on the surface.

Copper rivet is peened over, I used some mink oil between the leather to help it swivel easier, the belt loop is glued together at the bottom where the rivet goes through making it a stronger belt loop attachment.

While it looks simple enough, it did take a bit of time to make and fitup all the pieces on this, but the end results are great, when you go to sit down you can swing the sheath up easily out of your way.

G2
You should post this in the Cold Steel sub forum as many of them might not see it here in Sheats and Such!

Good idea on that, put it in this forum as it was mainly about sheath type things.
G2

Back