Cold Steel Finally Started Shipping The Safe Makers

I put in an order for a Safe Maker I, and II months ago from a retailer, and got a shipping notice last night.

I was trying to figure out what I'd ordered, then got an email today from the retailer saying my order had shipped.

Will get them both tomorrow.

I use the Safe Maker II as a neck knife. Small, light weight and goes unnoticed for the most part against darker colored garments. Living in California all fixed blades must be worn in plain view to remain legal. The Safe Maker I is nice but a little big for neck carry. I don't wear these knives on the belt as I don't want a shirt or jacket to inadvertently cover them, even partially, becoming a criminal offense.

I recently purchased the Drop Forged Push Knife. Wow, what a beast! That thing weighs just under half a pound. What a chunk of indestructible steel. But despite it's size and all steel construction it is very comfortable in the hand. I like it a lot and wish it was available in black like the Drop Forged Hunter. That bright silver handle sure would draw unwanted attention out in public. The Ulti-Clip is kind of a pain to use and I prefer the plastic belt loop of the Safe Makers.

Let us know how you like the knives.

Their OK. I'm sure they will hold up doing what their made for, but the quality is nothing like when they were made in Japan.

i-PGpK6wK-XL.jpg

Not a razor edge like my Japan made one, the new ones have one side of the blade flat...I already knew that, but it's kinda like they half finished them. The blades aren't polished like the old ones either.

The steel just looks odd. You can see it good in the picture of the Safe Maker I.

I'm happy with them, I just think they fall short of the originals, but what's made today that doesn't?

Not a razor edge like my Japan made one, the new ones have one side of the blade flat...I already knew that, but it's kinda like they half finished them. The blades aren't polished like the old ones either.

The steel just looks odd. You can see it good in the picture of the Safe Maker I.

I'm happy with them, I just think they fall short of the originals, but what's made today that doesn't?

Mine was a sharp as anything I've ever gotten from Cold Steel, including the Japanese ones. And the Safe Makers have always had one side flat that's not a thing with the new one man. Check out this review from 2012 of a made in Japan version.

Flat on one side, just like the new ones.

And the steel is just stonewashed, that's a finish choice that has nothing to do with quality.

I think he is getting the Safemaker Series confused with the Terminator/Urban Defender I which has a symmetrical blade(and as mentioned used in Platoon). The only push knife I have seen of less than stellar quality is a Safekeeper III made in China, and it was OK with the exception of the opening in the blade having very sharp edges on both sides where as normally the opening edges are smoothed.

Back