Cold Steel Frontier Fitting

I'm very new to hawks and after some research I've decided on the Cold Steel Frontier hawk. I've heard these are really good hawks and make good project hawks. Only bad thing I've heard about them is that the head is poorly fitted onto the handle. Keeping in mind that I am a complete beginner to this, how would one fit the head better to the handle?

Well, the thing with slip fits is you can't adjust them unless there's enough room. If this is the case, take the handle out, rasp down the glossy part (where it was rubbing) little by little and eventually it will give you a good fit.

It may border on heresy, but after I have rasped the head to a nice fit I put a little silicon caulk around the haft where it's going to connect. Then I give it a few good whacks with a mallet, clean the excess caulk, and let it set. It is not the traditional way to do it, but the heads sure stay on there nice and solid. While it will make it tougher to replace a broken handle, I have been happy with the solid connection.

Back